• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Cataract operation

I have a cataract problem in my right eye and my optician says it’s now serious enough that he can refer me. Problem is the waiting list for NHS treatment is apparently anything up to three years. I am surprised how quickly some folk here are getting their op. I am thinking of having it done privately.

I have had both done Alan.
What a difference. I had not realised how fuzzy my sight was until it wasn’t anymore.

It is terrifying lying there but I really liked that my surgeon explained what was going on, the nurse held my hand (and asked me to allow her some circulation back at one point). The photo below shows what I was looking through before and after the op.

IMG_3403.jpeg

Well worth having it done.
Let us know how you get on.

I have a cataract problem in my right eye and my optician says it’s now serious enough that he can refer me. Problem is the waiting list for NHS treatment is apparently anything up to three years. I am surprised how quickly some folk here are getting their op. I am thinking of having it done privately.
I was four weeks from date of referral. I am however in a health authority area that out sources this type of surgery to private clinics. NHS postcode lottery.

I was four weeks from date of referral. I am however in a health authority area that out sources this type of surgery to private clinics. NHS postcode lottery.
Same here, outsourced to private and was done in two weeks with amazing results I'm pleased to say...

Mine was speeded up because it would help with my glaucoma - I was very surprised as I expected to wait years. Hope you don't have to wait that long :)

Well, I had it done this morning :) Didn't hurt and didn't take long. I had a pretty good idea of what was going on because I foolishly watched a YouTube video beforehand :eek: :) I ca't wait to get this eyepad/shield off! :eek: :)
Many thanks to everyone for your very helpful advice and support :)

Glad it's finally done! You are very brave watching it on You Tube...I think I'd have run away screaming if I'd done that! Hope you get better very soon x

Wow! What a difference! :eek: :) I can read without my glasses for the first time in years - in fact, I can see BETTER than I could with my glasses! :eek: :)

Just got onto putting the drops in, and have discovered that I have been given quite a bit of conflicting information :( I was given two bottles of drops and told a drop, four times a day, for 4 weeks. This is also what the leaflet says. However, one bottle says 1 drop, 3 times a day for 4 days, the other doesn't say anything on it. Will have to ask for clarification. One is antibiotic, the other anti-inflammatory (prednisolone, which I believe is a steroid). When I looked online other NHS health boards offer different instructions e.g. stop one type after 2 weeks! There is also a lot of conflicting information about what activities are allowed, and when. I've been told basically nothing other than walking for 6 weeks, others say you can do much more exercise after less time! So confusing! :eek:

Wow! What a difference! :eek: :) I can read without my glasses for the first time in years - in fact, I can see BETTER than I could with my glasses! :eek: :)

Just got onto putting the drops in, and have discovered that I have been given quite a bit of conflicting information :( I was given two bottles of drops and told a drop, four times a day, for 4 weeks. This is also what the leaflet says. However, one bottle says 1 drop, 3 times a day for 4 days, the other doesn't say anything on it. Will have to ask for clarification. One is antibiotic, the other anti-inflammatory (prednisolone, which I believe is a steroid). When I looked online other NHS health boards offer different instructions e.g. stop one type after 2 weeks! There is also a lot of conflicting information about what activities are allowed, and when. I've been told basically nothing other than walking for 6 weeks, others say you can do much more exercise after less time! So confusing! :eek:
I’m so pleased that you can see much more clearly. At a guess you’ve probably been told to use the drops more often and for longer because of the stent rather than just the usual amounts for cataract surgery.

I have been pleased to read all this positive feedback about cataract operation as my other half was invited for a cataract review at his optician, he was aware that he had some problem but they had not perceived it an issue before. Anyway they have deemed it now sufficiently bad to warrant surgery and will refer him asap.
He hates the thought of anything with eyes but needs must.

I believe cataracts are done privately and the NHS foots the bill. That is what has happened to people I know. My optometrist told me that too.

I believe cataracts are done privately and the NHS foots the bill. That is what has happened to people I know. My optometrist told me that too.
My other half was called by his optician for a cataract check, it sounded as if it was some government initiative but not sure, as it turned out he needs surgery and they do the referral but with the GP informed.

My other half was called by his optician for a cataract check, it sounded as if it was some government initiative but not sure, as it turned out he needs surgery and they do the referral but with the GP informed.
This is how it works now I believe. My optometrist can make referrals and just inform the GP.

When he suspected my hubby had glaucoma from something he noticed on a new machine he had to write to the GP who wrote to the Ophthalmologist. He was not permitted to write him to the Consultant. Cataracts are different though.

Thankfully it was not glaucoma but I was glad they were so thorough.

Update, he was invited for the pre op assessment on Wednesday, not bad just 1 week after he saw the optician.
From those who have had it done are there any questions we should ask at the appointment?

My instructions were:

Pred drops, 1 drop 4 x daily for 3 weeks
Blue ones , 1 drop 3 x daily for 4 weeks

Definitely more than 4 DAYS so do check. I was given a chart to tick off when I had done each one, which was ridiculously helpful.

Activity was restricted to:
Do nothing for 2 weeks. No housework, exercise, swimming, running etc. Walking however was fine. I swim a lot and was advised to leave that another couple of weeks, so four weeks in total, just to be on the safe side.

I’m typing this currently sat with dilated pupils at Spa Medica having my post-surgery review and hoping they will say I can have the other eye done ASAP!

Update, he was invited for the pre op assessment on Wednesday, not bad just 1 week after he saw the optician.
From those who have had it done are there any questions we should ask at the appointment?
These were my questions but a couple are rather gender specific :rofl:

IMG_7521.png

Back