• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Cataract operation

Wishing you all the best, Alan. I seem to be very much the exception in that my experience was less than happy, but the biggest problem for me was the rubbish timing of lockdown, which you do not have.

But the outcome is so much better than the alternative, and today is a momentous day for me as I will apply my last (for the moment, anyway!) eye drops following the two cataract ops and the resulting macular oedema - about 11 of the last 13 months of drops, 1 or mostly 2 or occasionally 3 different types, to one or other eye or sometimes both. I shall almost miss working out and checking off my drops schedule.

Good luck!

Had mine done in quick succession (hereditary as younger non-diabetic sister and cousin had them done a few years later). A walk in the park really. The difficult bit was the period in-between with mismatched eyes (+2.5, 0). A friend struggled with this for over two years because of lockdowns! You will be fine!

My neighbour had one and she was fine. Most people get on great with them as far as I have been told.

I can understand how you feel as I would be the same. I am scared stiff of anything to do with doctors or hospitals even though I worked in a hospital with doctors for 21 years. Not quite the same though.

Hope all goes well for you.

Good luck Alan. Everyone I’ve spoken to, mostly as I worked in an opticians, has had great success. I don’t think it’ll be many more years until I have to have mine done, developed them a few years ago now and the don’t get better on their own unfortunately.
Yes, I'm a bit older than you and mine started developing a couple of years ago. I was totally surprised at getting the op so quickly though, thought I'd have to be almost blind before I got one done, but the implication is that I'll get the second one done fairly soon too :) I just want to be back home and recovered - op is first thing tomorrow morning :eek: I also want my Mum to give me a hug <3

Yes, I'm a bit older than you and mine started developing a couple of years ago. I was totally surprised at getting the op so quickly though, thought I'd have to be almost blind before I got one done, but the implication is that I'll get the second one done fairly soon too :) I just want to be back home and recovered - op is first thing tomorrow morning :eek: I also want my Mum to give me a hug <3
Good luck for tomorrow!

Wishing you well for tomorrow Alan. It is a quick operation and the improvements are almost immediately apparent once the blurring wears off. Good luck.

Hoping you breeze through it tomorrow Alan. Bet of luck for an early appointment, as the waiting will be the worst bit.

Hope it goes well tomorrow

Fingers crossed for you tomorrow

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Thanks everyone :) Well, it was due this morning, but just before (after a 2.5 hour wait), the surgeon told me he wasn't trained in one part of the procedure (the insertion of stents for my glaucoma). They were very apologetic and it's not a big deal as I have been re-booked for Monday :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone :) Well, it was due this morning, but just before (after a 2.5 hour wait), the surgeon told me he wasn't trained in one part of the procedure (the insertion of stents for my glaucoma). They were very apologetic and it's not a big deal as I have been re-booked for Monday :rolleyes:
Jesus wept! Did he also have his trousers on back to front?

Jesus wept! Did he also have his trousers on back to front?
Brilliant comment, even more so that it comes from outside the UK.

The NHS here is broken. It is incredibly disorganised and the idea that a surgeon was assigned to a procedure who was not qualified to do it, with the patient being informed at the last minute, is quite normal.

My brother is extremely ill - he is bed bound and any movement leads to excruciating pain - and it was decided a blood transfusion might be helpful. Seemingly, the person asking for the blood transfusion could not organise transport competent to get him to the hospital or to cancel the procedure before he left home when it was found that the blood would not be available. The result was two appallingly excruciating days being hauled around pot holed Oxfordshire roads. All for the want of somebody being organised. Patient needs don't come into the equation.

Apologies for the rant but it irks me when everything gets blamed for NHS waiting lists when the fact a lot of basic stuff is done so badly. Not doing the sort of simple organisational things which would have avoided @Northerner 's surgeon doing nothing for some hours and my brothers simple procedure becoming a two day epic would not be tolerated in any other business.

When I was in hospital for a couple of days after my appendix was removed, my lasting memory was that they needed to embed one of the works foremen into the ward for a week or two. They might not be any good at nursing but they were incredibly good organisers and would take no rubbish from anybody - especially the doctors. They would have the ward running smoothly with double the throughput in no time at all.

Last edited:
Oh no. Hey ho.

Not sure what else to add.

hi. i seen your question for I'm having a cataract operation at the end of the week and trying not to be absolutely terrified by the prospect :eek: Any experiences people can share?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh bugger Alan. Again no joined up thinking! :rolleyes:

Back