Carbs or Calories for newbies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No thanks but I'm rather interested.. what do you actually eat

A " a normal healthy Mediterranean diet" or "anything" because the two are certainly not the same.

Again, literal is a thing you know. Human interactions aren't black and white.
Normal conversations have nuances, many shades of grey.

As I said, I have reversed my diabetes, it's not a completely rigid diet control.
I chose flexibility, and put effort in to achieve it.
You went down your own different path, and don't have that luxury.
You need to remain committed exclusively to your choice.
Your diet controls you, you don't control it.

Yes, I live on a normal healthy, Mediterranean diet.
By personal choice, not rigid need.
However, unlike your choice, it doesn't mean my life has to be an exclusive diet of purely Mediterranean food.
There is a difference.
I can, very happily for me, eat anything, but I doubt "living" on an exclusive diet of Greggs and Weatherspoon's would actually be advantageous to anyone.

normal carb levels.
Could you explain what are "normal carb levels".

We need to eat precisely zero carbs so...
it's something that has always confused me.

I think @travellor has been fairly clear - a med diet in general but will eat anything that’s available when travelling or going out without affecting blood sugar. But a general med diet to maintain weight at a good level.

I don’t whether you are deliberately trolling or just being obtuse.

You are simply inventing claims that a med diet and eating anything were claimed To be the same thing. Ie a straw man.
I'm sure @travellor is perfectly capable of answering for himself.

Again, literal is a thing you know. Human interactions aren't black and white.
Normal conversations have nuances, many shades of grey.

As I said, I have reversed my diabetes, it's not a completely rigid diet control.
I chose flexibility, and put effort in to achieve it.
You went down your own different path, and don't have that luxury.
You need to remain committed exclusively to your choice.
Your diet controls you, you don't control it.

Yes, I live on a normal healthy, Mediterranean diet.
By personal choice, not rigid need.
However, unlike your choice, it doesn't mean my life has to be an exclusive diet of purely Mediterranean food.
There is a difference.
I can, very happily for me, eat anything, but I doubt "living" on an exclusive diet of Greggs and Weatherspoon's would actually be advantageous to anyone.
I agree that there is nuance to everything hence my question.. you appear to have almost answered it in that you don't in fact eat "anything" but you eat what you consider to be a " normal healthy, Mediterranean diet."

That's fine .. a simple answer to what I thought was a fairly simple question.

Thanks for the honesty.
Please note that I don't find any need to make judgement calls or criticisms of that... unlike the way you appear to be happy to do to what I eat to have put my own T2 into remission for 7 years.

I don't consider my dietary choices to be overly restrictive, boring or limiting.
I'm quite happy with my choices just like you.

And I'm still not and never have been Eddie Mitchell.

I had about 50 years of not being able to process carbs normally - because that was and is normal for me and most of my blood relatives, certainly on my mother's side.
I have always put on weight when I ate normal amounts of carbs because that is normal for me. I felt tires after a high carb meal, but that is my normal.
It was not unusual at home because the whole family ate low carb in an old fashioned way of cooking and eating - my mum, her sisters and their mother all tended to eat low carb veges rather than high starch ones, raspberries and gooseberries in their gardens - so it is really all down to how normal is defined and acted on.

It seems it's only one thing out of many to be honest, but at least it's a start for you on the road to realisation for you Eddie.
If only I had asked you.... and if only you'd answered the question I did ask...

Could you explain what are "normal carb levels".

We need to eat precisely zero carbs so...
it's something that has always confused me.
Roughly, the average amount consumed by the majority of the population, who are non-diabetic and who constitute the “norm”. In concrete terms I would suggest that a normal non-diabetic should be able to consume, say, 150 to 200g of carbs daily. The healthy pancreas musters a rapid and very strong first phase response to deal easily with, say, a 60g meal. As it happens I did a test myself yesterday with about 54g, testing before then at 30 minute intervals during the two hours afterwards. My bg was 5.6 before, peaked at 7.3 an hour after eating and dropped to 5.2 an hour after that. Normal behaviour.

Roughly, the average amount consumed by the majority of the population, who are non-diabetic and who constitute the “norm”. In concrete terms I would suggest that normal non-diabetic should be able to consume, say, 150 to 200g of carbs daily. The healthy pancreas musters a rapid and very strong first phase response to deal easily with, say, a 60g meal. As it happens I did a test myself yesterday for about 54g, testing before then at 30 minute intervals during the two hours afterwards. My bg was 5.6 before, peaked at 7.3 an hour after eating and dropped to 5.2 after
So you have "passed" an OGTT test yourself too (although that would usually have 75g of carbs)
I managed that too some years ago, 2 years after diagnosis.
I used the Rapilose drink that the NHS uses without "carbing up" beforehand.

Does that mean we're both in remission?

So you have "passed" an OGTT test yourself too (although that would usually have 75g of carbs)

Probably, yes.

It depends.
That was a while ago.
Did your subsequent weight gain take you back over your personal fat threshold again?
That's the problem with a high fat eat until you are satiated diet, no limits, just a focus on BG, not overall health.
Maybe you can test again?

Hi @childofthesea43 out of interest what is a normal carb level that you refer to?

Roughly, the average amount consumed by the majority of the population, who are non-diabetic and who constitute the “norm”. In concrete terms I would suggest that a normal non-diabetic should be able to consume, say, 150 to 200g of carbs daily. The healthy pancreas musters a rapid and very strong first phase response to deal easily with, say, a 60g meal. As it happens I did a test myself yesterday with about 54g, testing before then at 30 minute intervals during the two hours afterwards. My bg was 5.6 before, peaked at 7.3 an hour after eating and dropped to 5.2 an hour after that. Normal behaviour.

I tend to go for the recommendation of around 250g to 300g, but undoubtedly it varies as I never count anything now.

@childofthesea43 Thank you. Just spotted it. Apologies.

Most normal non diabetics consume a lot more than 150-200g of carbs per day. Its more like 300+

I tested eating 100g of Brown Rice with an evening meal this week and it did nothing to my sugar level. Does that mean my body is returning to its normal metabolism after eating healthy and exercising on a daily basis?

@childofthesea43 Thank you. Just spotted it. Apologies.

Most normal non diabetics consume a lot more than 150-200g of carbs per day. Its more like 300+

I tested eating 100g of Brown Rice with an evening meal this week and it did nothing to my sugar level. Does that mean my body is returning to its normal metabolism after eating healthy and exercising on a daily basis?
I am no expert but I think that stable bg after that much rice shows a very healthy state indeed, well done!

not overall health.
Err... my overall health is excellent.. remember in August I had an all day MOT test .. Heart scans, MRI and CAC, BP and multiple blood tests so....and all of that at my current weight.

I tested eating 100g of Brown Rice with an evening meal this week
Was that 100g pre cooking or post cooking out of interest.

Why force yourself into a life of misery looking for suitable foods, and missing out of social occasions, holidays, just because you can't eat the food? That's a nightmare to me.
I agree, if you can't actually give up continuously felling satiated, and are in fear of feeling hungry, your diet is better for you, even if you can be ok yoyoing on it as you have.
Possibly your experience of yoyo diets is personal, maybe some people don't, maybe some people do no matter what diet they prefer?
Personally, I wanted my life back, so I took it back.
Yes, it may have seemed more effort from your point of view, but I don't always want the easy compromise.
Put the effort in, got the results.
As the op is on the track too.

MY life certainly isn’t a misery. I can’t tell you that in an instant.

I don’t go continually looking for suitable foods. I merely ignore the stuff I don’t want to eat (and for the avoidance of doubt, want is deliberate). I have never declined a social event, based on diet, and as for holidays? I’m in SE Asia right now, and staying several weeks. Here, we don’t cook.

we have breakfast at home, which is largely similar to home, but differing fruit and veg. Lunch tends not to happen, because we don’t feel the need, and dinner we eat out in those things called restaurants.

We live very well. It is safe to say I won’t be eating noodles, but I am gluten free, nothing to do with my T2, and I won’t be eating sweet and sour chicken because forever that has been vile.

Yes, my life is a bit different to 10 years ago, in all aspects. Do I live a limited life? No. I do not. Some of my habits and routines differ these days,

What we do, we set our own risk dials, make our choices and should live with them. If others make different choices, thats just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back