Campaigning on test strips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone who replied, especially those who have faced this problem themselves. @Ralph-YK @sean penguin @Vicsetter if you haven't already would be great if you can enter your experience in our form.

Some very worrying stories have already come out, and yeah as someone said definitely seems to be a lack of consistency across the country
Diagnosed type 2 almost nine months ago...began with blood glucose at 17.4...no HbA1c result given at that time...first couple of months initially just lost in the midst of conflicting diabetes management advice...eventually found the forum...given advice & support...one essential piece of advice offered was to test test test...began testing immediately...paid for prescriptions...no idea I should have been exempt...self funded meter test strips & lancets...first review after testing HbA1c at 66...second review HbA1c 51...just had my third review this morning...HbA1c 46...all directly attributable to testing routinely...helped me to establish what foods I could tolerate without increasing my BG...took me sometime to fully understand what was suitable for other type 2's was not suitable for me...testing taught me what diet was right for me...how much I needed to increase my activity...that I could manage my condition...all this was achieved by testing regularly & routinely...despite being advised by health care professionals I had no need to test...it would not be beneficial...this morning after my latest review...my GP is willing to prescribe testing strips & lancets...I understand the local CCG may ask him to justify that...anticipating that I am about to write to them...I have no idea how long I can continue to self fund...time will tell...if those of us so advised relied on the standard NHS mantra 'not to test' employed that outdated theory...lapsed into poor management...depression...neuropathy...serious complications as a result ...no doubt their GPs would not have to justify prescribing anti-depressants...gliclazide...insulin...hospital referrals...expensive treatment for complications that could have been avoided...how is that justified... I am certain my progress is attributed wholly to regular and consistent testing ....my results have demonstrated that...why in those circumstances is it so hard for the CCG's to accept that.....in light of that...clearly it must be a false economy to routinely deny type 2''s that want/need to test regularly essential equipment to control what is a chronic...potentially debilitating... life threatening disease...in my view this is completely inequitable.

Hi @Bubbsie thanks for sharing your experience, I think you make the point very well about why fair access to diabetes test strips is so important, including for people with Type 2 diabetes. Not sure if you've already filled in our form (can't see your real name here!) but if you're interested in being part of the campaign - by providing us with a quote for the website or speaking to the media about your experience, for example- then please just tick the boxes your interested in. Feel free to copy and paste your experience from your post above.

Hi @Bubbsie thanks for sharing your experience, I think you make the point very well about why fair access to diabetes test strips is so important, including for people with Type 2 diabetes. Not sure if you've already filled in our form (can't see your real name here!) but if you're interested in being part of the campaign - by providing us with a quote for the website or speaking to the media about your experience, for example- then please just tick the boxes your interested in. Feel free to copy and paste your experience from your post above.
Hi Stefan...I beat you to it...filled in the form an hour or so ago...rather a long post I'm afraid...did copy & paste it into the comments box...thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back