Campaigning on test strips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you offering to fund it Mike? LOL
Unfortunately I am not the CEO of Roche or Texas Instruments.

There are a lot of research funded by medical hardware companies. I have written software to gather the data for a research funded by an x ray machine maker.

I was actually joking - but say it gets done and proves it's useful (which we already know on here anyway) the fact remains that the NHS don't want to spend the money. And that's the real problem - they have to find ways of saving money ALL the time so have to prioritise what they spend their funds on. Yeah we all think they have their priorities wrong on this one, but so far we've failed when it comes to persuading them we're right.

So like glacial erosion - we have to keep on drip, drip, dripping onto the stone .....

As I work public sector finance I fully appreciate that the NHS has to prioritise how it's utilises it's resources but as the complications of poorly managed diabetes would surely outweigh the cost - unless you die from them and then it saves them money:D , providing the tools to enable self testing is surely investing to save. The NHS provides free contraception as they recognise that preventing pregnancy saves NHS money long term yet for a chronic condition that has to be self managed to maintain life they think it's acceptable to deny resources.

I've always thought @Grogg1 that the reason for it is, because they need to save money now this minute - the fact that the saving doesn't come for years and years when the patient's leg doesn't need amputating or their kidneys fail; - isn't enough to motivate them.

Reactions: Ljc
My gp is really good no questions asked they say it's a must that I have test strips
The word is slowly getting around 🙂

Perhaps we should be campaigning for cheaper strips to be available to buy for T2 who want to do more intense testing to supplement GP issues. T1 should not have any limit on their supply by GPs and if they do there should be a body they can complain to with early action on the problem. They can't wait months and many may not have the funds to buy strips while awaiting resolution.

I think it is equally important to New Type 2 as well. It is a welcome tool to help one get over the initial shock and to come to terms with the discipline of foods and quantities and exercise. regular testing has been great for my first 5 weeks and helped me get to between 5 and 6.5 so quickly. The knowing that you can be stable removes such a burden. I was wondering if DBUK couldn't arrange a deal with a manufacturer. Surely the volumes involved would be significant enough. I started with an Accucheck Performa and Strips I bought myself. The strips were £18 for fifty. Heaven knows what the cost is t the NHS probably £50+ so I bought a meter following a post on here from an online outfit and strips at £38 for 250! I will try on 100 more strips for the Accucheck when I put the next prescription in tomorrow.

The strips I am prescribed cost the NHS about £10 for 50, If I want to buy them they are double that.

The strips I am prescribed cost the NHS about £10 for 50, If I want to buy them they are double that.
How do you find out how much they cost NHS?

It is terrible that diabetics are refused test strips when newly diagnosed they have enough fears to face and then added to there problems is oh you don't need to test you don't need a metre yet etc etc. Well hay guess what come look on this forum Mr and Mrs GP and the benefits far out weigh the cons of using a test kit I tell thee

Got an error trying to red the page...
Code:
403 - Page not accessable outside of United Kingdom
Access Denied

Unfortunately this site is only available from United Kingdom.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

* Contact us

* NICE Pathways
     * Guidance
     * Standards & Indicators
     * Evidence services

Follow Us
     * About
     * Accessibility
     * Freedom of information
     * Contact Us
     * Glossary
     * Terms and conditions
     * Subscribe

Copyright © 2014 National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. All rights reserved.

My browser won't let me access that site as it says it not safe.

Well clearly it is safe, so you must have a wrong box ticked (or not ticked) on your browser options list. Good luck finding which one it is!!

Well clearly it is safe, so you must have a wrong box ticked (or not ticked) on your browser options list. Good luck finding which one it is!!
No no no, no website is safe. The internet is a scheme by Skynet to distract us, downloading kitty memes and watching cat videos on YouTube.

I am not convinced about that. I don't have problems with anything else.

Mine i £ 9-90 for 50 but if i was to buy over the counter about £20. My ones i self fund are not listed that list though they prescibable, i pay £14.95 for 50 direct form the company website but have to pay postage on top. Again over the counter over £20.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back