Byetta Babes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caroleann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I will be out all day on sunday most likely before breakfast untill after dinner so obviously will be having both meals out, so will i need to keep my byetta cool throughout the day,i will be out side all day.

Byetta is taken by subcutaneous injection twice per day, usually an hour before breakfast and dinner so i guess if your gunna be out just take the jab before you leave for the brekkie one, as for keeping it cool i dont know ive never not had it in the fridge , id wait and see if thedame comes on she has way more knowledge then i do on byetta.

It is fine to be kept at room temperature in your bag, just don't leave it in the car or sun or anything like that.

This my problem i will only be able to leave it in the car,im doing a dog show so inbtween grooming the dogs and going in the ring i wont be able to carry it about in a bag.

Carole do you have a ice pack lay it inside a cooler bag i think they can hold there cool for upto 4 hours.

Thanks Steff i will do that.

I have a Frio bag too and it's just the job. You can get them on line but I bought mine in my local chemist. I took it away on holiday with me and it stopped me worrying about it going above the 25c they say it should not go above.
Apparently it's not cold enough for unused Byetta so I am hunting around for something to transport my new pen when I go away in a few weeks. I found one on the web - medicool protectall but it is nearly 40 pounds. It says it keeps it at the required temperature for up to 12 hours so I think to be safe I'll get one. For an opened one though the Frio should do you.

Check with the pharmacy if you are going to put an ice-block next to the byetta - it might damage it, it would most likely damage insulin.

I would suggest a frio pouch too, or ask your local pharmacist what they would recommend.

I'm not sure putting an ice block any where near it is a good idea either. The Frio wallet is quite good, no ice involved.
http://www.arcticmedical.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d7.html
This is the link to the medicool bag I think I will buy to transport unused Byetta. It says it will keep it between 2 -8C for up to 12 hours so I'll just have to hope I'm not delayed.
http://www.insulincase.com/Small-Me...axone-Embrel-Forteo-Humulin-Xolair--P397.aspx
This is the one I really want but I can't find it for sale in UK.

Try this link:http://www.diabetesmonitor.com/m77.htm

You are right to be concerned about the current heat wave! We go away in our caravan a lot but luckily it is fairly new and does not heat up like an oven. However, I find the coolest spot when we go out to leave it.

If you will be out in the heat you may be best to carry the pen rather than leave it in the car. Maybe you could find something which will keep it cool but not risk it freezing, so my advice would be to maybe use some sort of cool bag with an ice block, like the kids have for sandwiches but wrap the pen in bubble wrap or something which will insulate it from the actual ice.

By the way, you can get a free wallet (not insulated) to keep a pen and some needles in from elilly I will dig out the telephone number I used to get mine and post it -it is on their web site somewhere - you need the UK number of course! This is handy when you go out for the evening but I keep mine in it all the time. I keep my case in the downstairs loo as it it is cooler in there.

When I first got the pen I kept it in the lounge but when the heating got turned on last winter, tiny little bubbles appeared (as well as the usual single bubble) and it turned out the room was too warm! If you should get some small bubbles, you should be OK to used the pen as long as the liquid is clear - just tilt the pen needle down before injecting and flick the pen to encourage the bubbles to float up and away from the needle - like they do on the TV- makes me feel very important when I do that ;)

Last edited:
hi thedame just butting in id also appriciate that number .

Boots have the frio ones the small one is 13.99

This is the UK phone number for eLilly - they should be able to help you with the wallet- 01276 483000

I got this tip from another forum ages ago and seem to recall there was no info on their site about it for UK users but a quick call to the UK office and I got the wallet!

This is what it looks like open - I pulled the pen and needles out a bit so you can see where they fit! It folds up to a 3rd of that size so slips into a handbag fine

Attachments

• Dscn1002.jpg
    Dscn1002.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 142
Thank you from me too.

You are welcome! Just popped in quickly to say good luck today caroleann- will meet you back here later to see how you got on;) Got my own check up this morning so will be thinking of you:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back