Brits are dying in their tens of thousands - and we don't really have any idea why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, the story is based on the paper which was based on data 1990-2019. Presumably the trend is continuing, but whatever the cause is it's probably not completely related to the pandemic. (Viruses can certainly cause cancers, of course, and diagnosis/treatment delays don't help, so the pandemic is surely not innocent.)
We show a large increase in morbidity (disabilities) and mortality due to malignant neoplasms that started in 2021 and accelerated substantially in 2022. The increase in disability claims mirrors the increase in excess deaths in 2022, and both are highly statistically significant (extreme events). The results indicate that from late 2021 a novel phenomenon leading to increased malignant neoplasm deaths and disabilities appears to be present in individuals aged 15 to 44 in the UK.

Attachments

• trend.jpg
    trend.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1
The Pfizer vaccine will be offered at 50 (Boots) stores from April Fools Day to anyone aged 12 or over, at a cost of £98.95.

It is the first time a COVID-19 vaccine has been available outside the NHS since the mass vaccination programme was launched in December 2020 at the height of the pandemic.

Healthier young adults are extremely unlikely to develop severe COVID-19, the vaccine can protect them from a cough and a sore throat.

Oh no so we have to pay for our own vaccines it really will soon be no NHS

Oh no so we have to pay for our own vaccines it really will soon be no NHS
Well, healthy younger adults will already be paying for their flu jabs, so it’s no different from that, really. If you have a clinical need, you’ll still get a free covid booster.

Well, healthy younger adults will already be paying for their flu jabs, so it’s no different from that, really. If you have a clinical need, you’ll still get a free covid booster.
Only over 65 and those that were on the shielded list (clinically extremely vulnerable) now I think.

So many of us in here that did qualify by means of diabetes (any type) now will no longer qualify as we have until very recently - unless more senior in years or we have additional and more complicated/at risk health conditions.

So many of us in here that did qualify by means of diabetes (any type) now will no longer qualify as we have until very recently - unless more senior in years or we have additional and more complicated/at risk health conditions.
My guess is we'll continue to receive them (as we have flu vaccines) but it's hard to predict.

Only over 65 and those that were on the shielded list (clinically extremely vulnerable) now I think.

All people with diabetes got the Autumn 2023 booster, I think? They were on the Green Book list. Future booster programmes haven’t been announced yet, presumably they’ll decide as and when the next Autumn round of flu jabs become due.

All people with diabetes got the Autumn 2023 booster, I think? They were on the Green Book list. Future booster programmes haven’t been announced yet, presumably they’ll decide as and when the next Autumn round of flu jabs become due.
We did in autumn 2023. But.

Spring 2024 has been recommended as over 75 (not 65 as i previously misremembered), those in care homes and the immuno suppressed only. Fairly similar to last spring I think.

For Autumn 2024 the view outlined is (underlining is mine)

“This ongoing increase in population immunity permits the development of a more targeted programme aimed at those at higher risk of developing serious COVID-19 disease.”
We used to be considered at higher risk of serious disease (not the highest clinically extremely vulnerable risk but still raised over the general population.

“Based on the most recent cost-effectiveness assessment, it is anticipated that any autumn 2024 campaign would likely be smaller than previous autumn COVID-19 campaigns.”
Apparently not anymore as the way to make a campaign smaller would be to eliminate the lowest priority group previously covered. Ie the clinically vulnerable.

“Based on the most recent cost-effectiveness assessment, it is anticipated that any autumn 2024 campaign would likely be smaller than previous autumn COVID-19 campaigns.
Currently available COVID-19 vaccines provide good protection against severe COVID-19 disease (hospitalisation and mortality) (reference 4)….”
They are basing decisions on cost effectiveness rather than health. And whilst they state they provide good protection from severe disease (less so and shorter lasting for mild cases admittedly) they then ignore entirely those of us who are/were considered clinically vulnerable without any reasoning given. Like we don’t exist anymore or our risk has disappeared like magic

Apparently not anymore as the way to make a campaign smaller would be to eliminate the lowest priority group previously covered. Ie the clinically vulnerable.
Maybe, but we've had free flu vaccines for a while so I suspect they'll just do the same with these for much the same kinds of reasons. (That is, while flu itself isn't that risky in itself, any infection can be problematic for someone with diabetes so offering a vaccine makes sense.)

Maybe, but we've had free flu vaccines for a while so I suspect they'll just do the same with these for much the same kinds of reasons. (That is, while flu itself isn't that risky in itself, any infection can be problematic for someone with diabetes so offering a vaccine makes sense.)
We’ll see I guess. But if they plan to reduce the offering where else would they be cutting it ?

We’ll see I guess. But if they plan to reduce the offering where else would they be cutting it ?
I am thinking it is Type 2 now being diagnosed easier and definitely on the increase? I wonder how many of us now have the obese type which I think is different from the norm Type 2? I think those that have, non fatty liver disease or metabolic syndrome could be well documented as on the rise. Therefore they now cannot afford to give everyone espescially as they blame us. Like the diet industry we have paid out for years not to mention how miserable a life we live. One day they will find out the gene that distorts the way we get this and maybe then an apology as I know this is not my fault. However, there should be someone to fight for those that require these vaccinations for free. I guess you get free insulin so why should I complain. I am on pre-paid but think that stops at 60 so not long to try and cure myself. Low carb has NOT worked for me.

I am thinking it is Type 2 now being diagnosed easier and definitely on the increase? I wonder how many of us now have the obese type which I think is different from the norm Type 2? I think those that have, non fatty liver disease or metabolic syndrome could be well documented as on the rise. Therefore they now cannot afford to give everyone espescially as they blame us. Like the diet industry we have paid out for years not to mention how miserable a life we live. One day they will find out the gene that distorts the way we get this and maybe then an apology as I know this is not my fault. However, there should be someone to fight for those that require these vaccinations for free. I guess you get free insulin so why should I complain. I am on pre-paid but think that stops at 60 so not long to try and cure myself. Low carb has NOT worked for me.
What do you mean by the obese and normal types of type 2? I actually agree there are a number of causes of type 2 and I also thing quite a number of subtypes have been lumped in as type 2 that don’t fit anywhere else. But I’ve never seen that acknowledged by the nhs or any large medical organisation- just in a few papers and articles, usually by researchers not doctors.

Do you really think that so many more are being diagnosed T2 since the pandemic began than were before? I’ve seen enough people comment on various groups that their control got worse after the infection. Perhaps that is what is tipping more over the edge or allowing them to be discovered having been previously undiagnosed but diabetic nonetheless

They gave more or less similar numbers the vaccination previously as a priority on the basis we were more at risk than the general population. That increased risk hasn’t changed.

I don’t get free insulin and I’m not sure why you think I do. I’m type 2 diet controlled. No medications. Or do you mean you get free insulin? You are on prepaid what?

Low carb means many things and for some they simply don’t try going as low as their body needs them to. That may be their choice that they are entitled to make when factoring in all of their life considerations but it remains true. Others may be a misdiagnosed LADA not a type 2 at all if it truly doesn’t work. Still others may have “exhausted” their pancreas and now fail to produce even normal amounts of insulin (unlike most type 2 that produce a lot in an attempt to overcome resistance) after many years and decades of type 2 and will always need more than just diet control thereafter.

What do you mean by the obese and normal types of type 2? I actually agree there are a number of causes of type 2 and I also thing quite a number of subtypes have been lumped in as type 2 that don’t fit anywhere else. But I’ve never seen that acknowledged by the nhs or any large medical organisation- just in a few papers and articles, usually by researchers not doctors.

Do you really think that so many more are being diagnosed T2 since the pandemic began than were before? I’ve seen enough people comment on various groups that their control got worse after the infection. Perhaps that is what is tipping more over the edge or allowing them to be discovered having been previously undiagnosed but diabetic nonetheless

They gave more or less similar numbers the vaccination previously as a priority on the basis we were more at risk than the general population. That increased risk hasn’t changed.

I don’t get free insulin and I’m not sure why you think I do. I’m type 2 diet controlled. No medications. Or do you mean you get free insulin? You are on prepaid what?

Low carb means many things and for some they simply don’t try going as low as their body needs them to. That may be their choice that they are entitled to make when factoring in all of their life considerations but it remains true. Others may be a misdiagnosed LADA not a type 2 at all if it truly doesn’t work. Still others may have “exhausted” their pancreas and now fail to produce even normal amounts of insulin (unlike most type 2 that produce a lot in an attempt to overcome resistance) after many years and decades of type 2 and will always need more than just diet control thereafter.
Okay , I will try and answer all that you challenge.
Some of type 2 have obesity some have not.
You may not be obese therefore you would not be berated for being so. Yes I agree you can read it but unless fat your health providers will not treat you with a fattest attitude.
Why would I say that more are diagnosed type 2 if I did not believe it. Your challenge not mine.
We hear about diabetes daily so yes I believe it is more known.
I have no idea if the pandemic or vaccines cause it . I had mine before.
Sorry I do not know where you live but Diabetes is one of the UK for type 1 to get free meds and some tyoe Insulin is free on prescription, along with any pens or needles you need. If you're in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, prescriptions are automatically free. But if you're in England and under 60, you'll need to fill in a medical exemption certificate which you can get from your GP or healthcare team. two.https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/prescriptions/save-money-with-a-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc/
A pre paid is also something the UK have a form where you pay so much per month and its much cheaper than individual. I am not on insulin therefore i would not be in that exempt group.
I guess you are correct my body is packing up as well. Also I think some have less issues and low carb works. You are correct Id not want just two meals a day or say yoghurt and s few berries in the winter. There are only do many eggs one can eat. Also with other issues fat in cream and cheese do take their toll too.
So yes some really will cope with low carb and many here will not want to do anything else.
I therefore stated for me that Low Carb was not for me.
Surely we have freedom to state what helps us or not. Its not just a low carb site even though its very much promoted.

Last edited:
. I am not on insulin therefore i would not be in that exempt group.
It’s not just insulin that gives you free prescriptions, it’s any meds, for Type 1 or 2, both injected or tablet form, for example Metformin. Then if you are on a tablet or injectable for your Diabetes, you then get all the rest of your prescription free, whether or not the item is prescribed for your diabetes or some other condition. I’ve no idea whether you are on any meds for your diabetes, but if you are, ask your surgery to organise you an exemption certificate.

It’s not just insulin that gives you free prescriptions, it’s any meds, for Type 1 or 2, both injected or tablet form, for example Metformin. Then if you are on a tablet or injectable for your Diabetes, you then get all the rest of your prescription free, whether or not the item is prescribed for your diabetes or some other condition. I’ve no idea whether you are on any meds for your diabetes, but if you are, ask your surgery to organise you an exemption certificate.
I will get that if still on meds at 60 I think . My pre paid lasts until about then

Attachments

• GJQ5qoYWcAAb9hY.jpeg.jpg
    GJQ5qoYWcAAb9hY.jpeg.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1
Okay , I will try and answer all that you challenge.
Some of type 2 have obesity some have not.
You may not be obese therefore you would not be berated for being so. Yes I agree you can read it but unless fat your health providers will not treat you with a fattest attitude.
Why would I say that more are diagnosed type 2 if I did not believe it. Your challenge not mine.
We hear about diabetes daily so yes I believe it is more known.
I have no idea if the pandemic or vaccines cause it . I had mine before.
Sorry I do not know where you live but Diabetes is one of the UK for type 1 to get free meds and some tyoe Insulin is free on prescription, along with any pens or needles you need. If you're in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, prescriptions are automatically free. But if you're in England and under 60, you'll need to fill in a medical exemption certificate which you can get from your GP or healthcare team. two.https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/prescriptions/save-money-with-a-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc/
A pre paid is also something the UK have a form where you pay so much per month and its much cheaper than individual. I am not on insulin therefore i would not be in that exempt group.
I guess you are correct my body is packing up as well. Also I think some have less issues and low carb works. You are correct Id not want just two meals a day or say yoghurt and s few berries in the winter. There are only do many eggs one can eat. Also with other issues fat in cream and cheese do take their toll too.
So yes some really will cope with low carb and many here will not want to do anything else.
I therefore stated for me that Low Carb was not for me.
Surely we have freedom to state what helps us or not. Its not just a low carb site even though its very much promoted.
Ok. I wasn’t issuing any challenge. Just exploring what you meant as it wasn’t clear. Same for why you think more are diagnosed now than prepandemic. Just hearing about it more isn’t really solid evidence. It may simply be that there’s a push in a health promotion, that it’s the flavour of the news cycle, that efforts to raise awareness are succeeding etc. I was curious if there was some study or report about numbers etc.

I am in the uk too. And I also have a prepay (for other medications). But that is because I don’t qualify for an exception certificate from my dr as I am not on any medication for my type 2. Everyone that is on any medication for diabetes is entitled to that certificate. So if you are on medication you should get the certificate and free prescriptions until you qualify automatically by means of age at 60. Someone or something mislead you if you believed otherwise.

It’s not necessarily having “less issues” for low carb to work, it’s more about what specifically is the issue. Typically a person with T2 diabetes will have normal or high amounts of insulin but are resistant to it and thus it doesn’t work well. Low carb will always at least help in this situation if a person is willing and able to do it. Some of us need to reduce carbs a lot more than others in order to reach the goals we set (which also vary considerably, from simply avoiding more deterioration to aiming to achieve totally normal non diabetic levels without medication).

Some aren’t agreeable to going to this level of reduction or even attempting it. For instance going to 2 meals a day often isn’t even a deliberate thing - it’s simply that eating more protein and fat to replace the reduced carbs means we stay fuller for longer and don’t want to eat more often as we simply don’t get hungry so quickly. When you are on the carb rollercoaster it seems impossible to do that I know but it really does change your hunger patterns. It most definitely isn’t about existing on yoghurt and berries either. Nor is it all cream, cheese and eggs, although they are useful and eaten. I think you have some fundamental misunderstanding about what low carb is and what natural unprocessed dairy fats do. More and more evidence is out there that they are beneficial not harmful and more and more mainstream nhs drs are advocating this way of eating. Have a read, even just a little, here from a uk nhs go practice having great results https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/what-is-a-low-carb-lifestyle/

Others (type 1, LADA, type 3c, and some long term type 2) have trouble producing any or normal amounts and thus will always need medication assistance and no matter how low carb they go will still do so. But plenty of these still find reducing carbs at least somewhat means less (not no) medication which in turn potentially means less side effects and the magnitude in errors of dosing for example is also reduced.

Ok. I wasn’t issuing any challenge. Just exploring what you meant as it wasn’t clear. Same for why you think more are diagnosed now than prepandemic. Just hearing about it more isn’t really solid evidence. It may simply be that there’s a push in a health promotion, that it’s the flavour of the news cycle, that efforts to raise awareness are succeeding etc. I was curious if there was some study or report about numbers etc.
Have you read

Have you read
No I hadn’t, but I have now. This proves nothing. This doesn’t show that rate of diagnosis has increased since the pandemic though and even if it did (which it doesn’t) it doesn’t differentiate the reasons why. This article is in response to too many being diagnosed. The rates of diabetes has been rising for a long time now, long before the pandemic. The criteria for diagnosis hasn’t changed in along while now. Our lifestyles and diet are making it an increasing problem. It’s a growing problem - I totally agree. We eat **** as a nation. We have appalling guidance as to what we should eat. We have terrible unambitious targets to aim for with regards to the eatwell plate and blood glucose responses. We (as a nation) rely on ultra processed junk, with misleading advertising, to eat.

Going back to your original post on this topic. Yes at this point in time we need people to fight for the right to access vaccine for type 2 should the individual choose to take it. I don’t think there is a single gene responsible (they would have identified it by now if it was that simple. It’s a complex relationship between multiple genes for susceptibility (not a given outcome) and factors of diet and lifestyle. We each have various degrees of genetic risk and environmental exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back