Brits are dying in their tens of thousands - and we don't really have any idea why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realised how many mobility scooters are being put up for sale by the sons and daughters of those they were bought for. There are loads of adverts, plus the dealers have so many reconditioned ones - the prices are really low.
Ideal if you are considering getting one, but a bit worrying if you think about it.

Re mobility scooters, we've got a brand new £600 unused one, stored at my brothers, maybe 'in case.' o_O

Looks like a trend, and I could completely understand why governments might be worried and might want to think about ways to alter the trajectory. (Obvious ideas: our government could drop the stupid 2 child limit on all benefits and could make a serious attempt at providing more affordable child care.
Why does everyone want the population to increase? The only reason I can see is to pay for the older generation. Just about every other reason is causing as many or more problems than it solves. Especially in light of more automation for many jobs, increasing weather effects making food production more challenging and land space in many places being at a premium

The number of young women unable to conceive naturally seems to have risen sharply with quite a few teenage girls not developing normally.
I went to pick up a prescription recently and it coincided with a fertility clinic because it is now an all day thing rather than half a dozen appointments after lunch. There were some really young girls there too, with their mothers.
I predict falling birth rates as in dropping off a cliff.
Call me suspicious, but as the increasing population has long been regarded as a serious problem, a conspiracy to reduce it would seem to be the logical reason for something underhand being tried out as a solution.

I’ve never seen a GP surgery have a ‘fertility clinic’ (I’m presuming that’s where you went to get your prescription). Surely what you saw was a Family Planning clinic. The young girls could well have been there to get contraceptive advice not because they were infertile. Same with the older women. My surgery also runs a general female health clinic which also covers contraception, pregnancy checks, menopause, etc, so women and girls sitting in the waiting room aren’t all infertile. Women who have fertility problems are referred to a special external clinic.

The falling birth rate is more to do with social factors, IMO.

Why does everyone want the population to increase? The only reason I can see is to pay for the older generation.
Not just to pay for the older generation. To care for us. To do all the jobs that older people can no longer do. In many ways a lower population would be a good thing, but a lower but dramatically older population causes some really nasty problems which seem rather hard to deal with. (A larger population with a similarly changed demographic causes the same problems (together with not having the benefits of a lower population), which seems to be rather missed by some politicians. I presume they're just trying to kick the can down the road.)

Recently, an apocalyptic phrase has been uttered over and over again by Italy’s political class: “demographic winter”. Almost every year since 1993, deaths in the country have outstripped births, causing a slow-motion crisis which has gradually reached critical mass.

Italy’s fertility rate is dropping so precipitously that by 2070, the population – currently 59 million – is forecast to fall by almost 12 million to 47.2 million.

The situation threatens to push the world’s eighth-largest economy into an ‘economic dark age’, without a workforce capable of funding its welfare state and the pensions of its older citizens.

I am not surprised by less births as so many do not marry to have a child or a home these days.
Lots dont even need a partner these days.
As for a conspiracy. Gossip claims Boris said it leaves room for the young. He was awful to say that however it may have be sensationalised and untrue.
i know of a two young woman who have dropped dead it might just be Covid etc but still to get reason for death. Inconclusive really did not help my relatives.

Why does everyone want the population to increase? The only reason I can see is to pay for the older generation. Just about every other reason is causing as many or more problems than it solves. Especially in light of more automation for many jobs, increasing weather effects making food production more challenging and land space in many places being at a premium
Young people are the next generation. They will work and continue to make the world go round. So we do need people to be born as well as people to die naturally. My friends were in tgrir 30s when they died so far too young fir unexplained deaths. Sorry, i would like those of us who wish to die young have a way. That never hapoens as even those who wish it cannot get euthanasia even with medical issues. Its always flung out.
So it not we want to over populate but there is more immigrants coming in than our own people . i wonder if that is true is there more people from other lands than there is white British in the Uk?
I think that might be the reason for over population.
i love all so its not that but we are a small island compared to other countries
We really need to think will the white British be here or are we in threat of extinction.
So gping back to you saying why do we what more we need to survive.

Young people are the next generation. They will work and continue to make the world go round. So we do need people to be born as well as people to die naturally. My friends were in tgrir 30s when they died so far too young fir unexplained deaths. Sorry, i would like those of us who wish to die young have a way. That never hapoens as even those who wish it cannot get euthanasia even with medical issues. Its always flung out.
So it not we want to over populate but there is more immigrants coming in than our own people . i wonder if that is true is there more people from other lands than there is white British in the Uk?
I think that might be the reason for over population.
i love all so its not that but we are a small island compared to other countries
We really need to think will the white British be here or are we in threat of extinction.
So gping back to you saying why do we what more we need to survive.
I wasn’t suggesting no one be born. Nor was my point about immigration in any way at all. I’m definitely not jumping on the colour of someone’s skin or where they were born. And I realise the young fund the old and for at least a generation or two a smaller young population would have the burden of a larger old one. But the planet cannot sustain ever increasing human populations. It will turn around in some way shape or form eventually. I’d just prefer it not to be catastrophically or with increasing amounts of misery for those already on the planet. We have to do things differently so we can manage stability (or even some decline) rather than forever sim for growth in numbers.

New paper in Lancet highlights the ongoing excess deaths above and beyond what was seen during the pandemic. Where is the global response now?

Numbers of excess deaths estimated in this
period are considerable. The UK Office for National
Statistics (ONS) has calculated that there were 7.2% or
44,255 more deaths registered in the UK in 2022 based
on comparison with the five-year average (excluding
2020).1 This persisted into 2023 with 8.6% or 28,024
more deaths registered in the first six months of the year
than expected. 1 The Continuous Mortality Investigation
(CMI) found a similar excess (28,500 deaths) for the
same period using different methods.3 Several methods
can be used to estimate excess deaths, each with limi-
tations which should be considered in interpretation,
however the overall trends tend to be consistent across
the various methods.
The causes of these excess deaths are likely to be
multiple and could include the direct effects of Covid-19
infection,1 acute pressures on NHS acute services result-
ing in poorer outcomes from episodes of acute illness.

And you're asking why governments don't want to make a big fuss about it? Because many (in particular the UK government) want to pretend the pandemic is over and that it's fine for most people to be repeatedly infected, and they don't want to say the NHS needs more resources. They're probably not that keen to admit that the restrictions in 2020-2021 delayed some diagnoses and treatments because that would probably force a concession that the NHS was to some degree overwhelmed.

Not just direct effects of infection but indirect too, by means of organ damage not identified at the time of the acute infection or the worsening of pre-exisiting conditions as a result of the repeated infections for example. On top of the lack of diagnosis, treatment and backlogs we are dealing with.

Excess deaths.....there is an elephant in the room.

Not just direct effects of infection but indirect too, by means of organ damage not identified at the time of the acute infection or the worsening of pre-exisiting conditions as a result of the repeated infections for example. On top of the lack of diagnosis, treatment and backlogs we are dealing with.
That will certainly cover the reasons for some of the excess deaths.

Some valid points made on excess deaths in interview. Point about how the NHS was basically shutdown solely for the use of covid patients and how this likely affected all other diagnosis, treatments and emergency care for many, many more.

Some valid points made on excess deaths in interview. Point about how the NHS was basically shutdown solely for the use of covid patients and how this likely affected all other diagnosis, treatments and emergency care for many, many more.

This article breaks down some of the figures https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(23)00221-1/fulltext

We are not alone in this issue
Many countries, including the UK, have continued to experience an apparent excess of deaths long after the peaks associated with the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 and 2021

Outlines potential causes
The causes of these excess deaths are likely to be multiple and could include the direct effects of Covid-19 infection, acute pressures on NHS acute services resulting in poorer outcomes from episodes of acute illness, and disruption to chronic disease detection and management.

The 50-64 age group seems to be worse off (not the very elderly now who are in fact least effected). I suspect many of us in here fall in this group, particularly type 2’s. Frightening how many more young people are dying 11% is not nothing
This model finds that in the period from week ending 3rd June 2022 to 30th June 2023, excess deaths for all causes were relatively greatest for 50–64 year olds (15% higher than expected), compared with 11% higher for 25–49 and < 25 year olds, and about 9% higher for over 65 year old groups

Have we been intrinsically damaged by repeated infections in ways not yet widely recognised?
For middle-aged adults (50–64) in this 13-month period, the relative excess for almost all causes of death examined was higher than that seen for all ages. Deaths involving cardiovascular diseases were 33% higher than expected, while for specific cardiovascular diseases, deaths involving ischaemic heart diseases were 44% higher, cerebrovascular diseases 40% higher and heart failure 39% higher. Deaths involving acute respiratory infections were 43% higher than expected and for diabetes, deaths were 35% higher. Deaths involving liver diseases were 19% higher than expected for those aged 50–64, the same as for deaths at all ages.

Phew! What a relief....we should all be relieved to know that the excess deaths found (almost) all over the western world after the pandemic 2021-2024 are no longer an issue (in the UK), thanks to new methods of calculation at the ONS. So no need for our government to investigate.

Under a new methodology, unveiled on Tuesday, the ONS cut excess deaths in 2023 from 31,442 to 10,994 – a 65% drop. This isn’t because the ONS officials suddenly discovered that all these people are actually still alive. The number of people who died last year hasn’t changed. What’s changed is the baseline for determining how many deaths you should expect to happen in a given week and thus how many that actually occurred are in excess of that baseline.

NHS waiting lists for heart care have doubled in less than three years with hundreds of thousands facing delays that can cost lives, MPs will hear today.

The British Heart Foundation (BHF) said the figures, which will prompt a debate in the Commons on Thursday, were “staggering”.

NHS waiting lists for heart care have doubled in less than three years with hundreds of thousands facing delays that can cost lives, MPs will hear today.

The British Heart Foundation (BHF) said the figures, which will prompt a debate in the Commons on Thursday, were “staggering”.

Not sure I find this passage so reassuring which tends to suggest heart deaths at least are still a concern regardless of the questionable jiggery pokery explained in your preceding article regarding overall excess deaths whichever side of that you believe

“It follows warnings of a steep rise in heart deaths since the pandemic, with an extra 500 a week amid struggles to access NHS care and delays for ambulances.​
The charity said “extreme pressure” on the health service and the direct impact of Covid illness on the heart were two of the likely factors fuelling an increase in heart problems and deaths.​
Delays in accessing tests mean that symptoms which could have been treated easily are not being picked up until the disease is far more severe, and in some cases deadly.”​
We pretty much all acknowledge the issues the nhs is having right now but what’s not being talked about is the direct impact of Covid (and repeated infection cumulatively) is having on body organs and systems without anyone admitting this is happening and them being treated as entirely separate issues by most.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back