Blood testing in public, lancet changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex's meter only goes round 6 times - then it stops and doesnt allow you to re-use! We were told that lancets can get contaminated and shouldnt be re-used. But i suppose when you have been doing it for years with no problem then it must be ok!🙂 Bev

I'm guessing you've got a 'multiclix' like mine, that you have to twist to get the next lancet in place? I just don't twist very often! I don't know why I don't change lancet every time, because I always use a new needle. I think I got fed up early on having that extra 'task' every 6 tests - it was a task too far!😱:D

Steff! What are you like! Haven't you read how it can affect the accuracy of your readings, let alone he risk of infection? Please consider changing it more regulary! 😱

i havent changed mine for like two months.

😱😱 and like bev says peeps that have been doing it for years should be ok , been doing it like 3 month arghh

Yes its the 'multiclicks' lancet - i know your probably all ok doing this - but i want to teach Alex what he should be doing and then if he chooses not to do it this way then thats up to him! If he has a good grounding then its just less for him to worry about - less variables i.e. contamination etc!🙂 Bev

Yes its the 'multiclicks' lancet - i know your probably all ok doing this - but i want to teach Alex what he should be doing and then if he chooses not to do it this way then thats up to him! If he has a good grounding then its just less for him to worry about - less variables i.e. contamination etc!🙂 Bev

And it makes very good sense bev. Actually, I think one of the reasons I stopped changing lancet every time was because when they were new I got no blood, so needed them blunter. I'm now going to try turning the setting up - have been using it on 2, so might try 4 for starters.

hmm now i have heard that mentioned it might explain why since friday i have had to prick 3 fingers at least to get anywhere as near enough blood to constitute the droplet of blood size

hmm now i have heard that mentioned it might explain why since friday i have had to prick 3 fingers at least to get anywhere as near enough blood to constitute the droplet of blood size

It's soooo annoying when you get some blood, and hope it's enough, but then the meter bleeps and errors and not only have you wasted a strip, but you've got to finger prick again! Grrrr!!!! I'm never hopeful of enough blood if I didn't feel the da*n thing, which I don't if it's new...:(

Alex uses 3 or above - depending which finger he uses! If he is asleep and i am testing him i use 3 and just milk it very slowly as i dont like it to hurt him or wake him up.🙂 Bev

ohh yes i have a few choice words to say to myself when that happens but when i just took bs there it was enough first time ah well lesson learnt change lancet more often steff you silly thing x

I have my Multiclix set on 3, and have never had any problems, I twist it for a new lancet every week, but I always use a new needle for every injection.

E's finger-puncher is set to 4, always has been, and he rarely has to re-try these days. Changes lancet each time. Pain in the bottom, but oh well... Like bev, we're trying to start off anyway with good habits... It's the FIDDLE of it all, isn't it -- the foil packets of the strips, the way the machine sometimes slides out of its holder...Optimum Exceed, though going onto a Bayer contour with the pump.

Hey, anyone ever done forearm testing?

I am also guilty of only changing when it has really hurt 😱- and then thinking "I wish I had done that a few tests ago!"

Does anyone else have the odd blood test that when you squeeze it, the blood spurts out (usually when you are wearing a white T-shirt or something) and you end up looking as thought you had been attacked by a small vampire?😱

I am also guilty of only changing when it has really hurt 😱- and then thinking "I wish I had done that a few tests ago!"

Does anyone else have the odd blood test that when you squeeze it, the blood spurts out (usually when you are wearing a white T-shirt or something) and you end up looking as thought you had been attacked by a small vampire?😱

Yep! Well, not quite spurting, but lots of it and at other times have to really encourage it! Warm fingers help the blood flow. Usually have my pricker set to 3 and have a Jazz meter which has a smiley face on the screen when you are in target - quite incouraging!

Well, I've just put yet another repeat prescription in for strips, needles, lancets , sharps box etc. Just need to get my suitcase ready to collect it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back