Blood testing in public, lancet changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't say 'wrong' but I would check my blood sugar levels before taking any glucose.

thanks
thought i was doing something bad then i was never told to carry it mind you , but i can see the sense in carrying it on me when im out and about

thanks
thought i was doing something bad then i was never told to carry it mind you , but i can see the sense in carrying it on me when im out and about

Its all a bit of minefield - just when i think I know all there is to know about diabetes, my blood sugars and control play tricks on me and I have to have a re-think or look into why it may be happenning again! You shouldn't feel bad, particularly if no-one has advised you about this. We are only human and I know I have glitches even when I do know what I should be doing/eating/injecting etc.

Good luck with it all 🙂

I am more careful about testing in company, as there is often blood and not everyone likes the sight of blood. But then, so many people are fascinated by what I am doing and some feel its sufficiently of interest they'd like to see what their BS is.

Ok, so I waste a test strip, but they share a little of what we go through and I'm educating them.

As for needles and lancets, I change them if possible everytime I use them. Always if I test someone elses blood!

Some view it as wasteful, I view it as following advice and guidance, if I get infections or sore through using needles too many times, I have only myself to blame. My doc prescribes me enough for every injection and every test strip I use. So I use them.

thanks runner and same to you
im so used to mine beng uncontrolled that when i get hi readings tis nothing that surprises me

I am more careful about testing in company, as there is often blood and not everyone likes the sight of blood. But then, so many people are fascinated by what I am doing and some feel its sufficiently of interest they'd like to see what their BS is.

Ok, so I waste a test strip, but they share a little of what we go through and I'm educating them.

As for needles and lancets, I change them if possible everytime I use them. Always if I test someone elses blood!

Some view it as wasteful, I view it as following advice and guidance, if I get infections or sore through using needles too many times, I have only myself to blame. My doc prescribes me enough for every injection and every test strip I use. So I use them.

R.E regarding otheres wanting to know there BS my OH did it to himself the other day he read 7.5 i said aha there you go

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I feel a new thread coming on here.....the higher the number- the tougher you are! What number are you on??! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Up until yesterday I was on 5 but this prompted me to change the lancet and now I'm on 3. I'm very bad about chaging lancets, I too have a huge stock of them at home that I never seem to get through. Needles I do change everytime however, think it's something I've just always done, no rhyme or reason why I change that frequently and the lancet rarely.

A

I change my lancet daily and needles every time. Remembering to take the kit with me is my problem. :(

Going back tot hat bit where you change you needes and lancets etc, I use BD needles and if you go on there website there is some spooky-magooky picture of the magnified end of a needle that has been reused! Its horrible. Had a great wow factor for me and made me change for every injection for about.......errrrrrm, 3 days......ho-hum.

Omg i change my lancet every time i test, i cant believe people have left the same lancet in for weeks at a time?! I also never use the same needle as i was told that air seeps through the needle and thats why it is vital to use a new one for every injection. I thought we are meant to change lancets and needles everytime! 😱

Last edited:
I always use a new needle for each injection... even if i'm doing alot of corrections.
My lancet is another story though.....😱......
I have my lancet set to 3 because i'm a wimp and it hurts otherwise lol

I change my lancet when I change my compact meter drum. My pricker is a softclix at 1.5.

About testing in public something funny happened in the works canteen the other day...

I just got my free accu-chek nano meter from the royal mail sorting office on the way to the canteen (read greasy spoon). I opened the box to read the instructions while waiting for my marmite on dry wholemeal toast to be made.(It's just about the only healthy option they have there😡)

I got the "wot you got there?" questions from the others at the table and I explained it was a BG meter and then asked if you have diabetes which I said yes. I then gave a run down on the differences between types 1 and 2.

Then I was asked to see it in action (I usually test in the toilets) so I did a test and explained the reading. A few cringed at the thought of seeing blood and looked away!

I was 4.5 and when I said that one of the other drivers said wow, he hadn't been that low in years and what was my secret. I just said I cut out the fat, salt and sugar from my diet and walked briskly to and from work.

I discovered that there are quite a lot of diabetics at work and may even start a diabetic group there to get the canteen manager to start provide healthier food for us🙂

...I discovered that there are quite a lot of diabetics at work and may even start a diabetic group there to get the canteen manager to start provide healthier food for us🙂

Hey tez, that's great, and just goes to show how 'hidden' diabetes is. When I was diagnosed last year I was telling a friend of mine and he said 'Oh so-and-so has that - he's had it for years.' This person was a mutual friend who I had worked alonside for the past 7 years and never knew he was diabetic, Type 1, and like me diagnosed later in life - we're the same age, but he has had it for 15 years. A lot of other friends said that their family members, partners, friends etc. had either Type 1 or 2 as well - something that had never crossed my mind as a non-diabetic.

Sounds like a great idea to get a group going at work. I've found from being on this forum that there are many, many people out there who have been diagnosed for years but have poor control because they are just not kept up to date with current methods and treatments by their healthcare teams. Go for it - I'm sure it will be a great success!🙂

I change my lancet when I change my compact meter drum. My pricker is a softclix at 1.5.

About testing in public something funny happened in the works canteen the other day...

I just got my free accu-chek nano meter from the royal mail sorting office on the way to the canteen (read greasy spoon). I opened the box to read the instructions while waiting for my marmite on dry wholemeal toast to be made.(It's just about the only healthy option they have there😡)

I got the "wot you got there?" questions from the others at the table and I explained it was a BG meter and then asked if you have diabetes which I said yes. I then gave a run down on the differences between types 1 and 2.

Then I was asked to see it in action (I usually test in the toilets) so I did a test and explained the reading. A few cringed at the thought of seeing blood and looked away!

I was 4.5 and when I said that one of the other drivers said wow, he hadn't been that low in years and what was my secret. I just said I cut out the fat, salt and sugar from my diet and walked briskly to and from work.

I discovered that there are quite a lot of diabetics at work and may even start a diabetic group there to get the canteen manager to start provide healthier food for us🙂

Sounds like a great idea - they ought to be providing a healthier option anyway. Way to go Seagulls! My husband will be pleased to hear about another supporter! 🙂

ive just chaged my lancet after week and half lol

ive just chaged my lancet after week and half lol
Steff! What are you like! Haven't you read how it can affect the accuracy of your readings, let alone he risk of infection? Please consider changing it more regulary! 😱

ty runner i will from now on i went from one extreme to the other i used to change it every time i tested , im very silly and also lazy

funnily enough i did change it on my afternoon test , my boy said what are you doing i said look at the end of that was blunt(ish)

Alex's meter only goes round 6 times - then it stops and doesnt allow you to re-use! We were told that lancets can get contaminated and shouldnt be re-used. But i suppose when you have been doing it for years with no problem then it must be ok!🙂 Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back