Are you ready?

That's exactly what the Oxford limitations are though.. 100 times annually for residents .. sounds like a limit on freedom of movement to me..
Only if you want to use a car. There is no restriction on walking, cycling or catching a bus anywhere you want. And no restriction if you are disabled,or need frequent hospital visits, or are a carer (formal or informal), or someone needing to visit properties in the course of their job. And only from 7am-7pm. And you can still use your car any time you want, provided you go out to the bypass and drive from there.
It’s the use of cars in a city that wasn’t built for them that is causing all the problems in the first place. It’s designed to GIVE people freedom of movement because they’re not clogged up with a permanent traffic jam outside their house.

Last edited:
I just get a feeling that many of us are going be spending a lot more time at home as a result of these alerts.
Why would they use the system so differently to other countries?

That just doesn't seem plausible to me: it's a potentially useful feature to have in rare situations, and if they misuse it too much they'll make it worthless (people will just turn it off). That doesn't feel like something a government would want to do.

Why would they use the system so differently to other countries?

That just doesn't seem plausible to me: it's a potentially useful feature to have in rare situations, and if they misuse it too much they'll make it worthless (people will just turn it off). That doesn't feel like something a government would want to do.
Had an interesting chat on twitter today with a guy from NZ where this system has been in place for a while.
He said they have received a few alerts about Tsunamis and earthquakes.. none of which have been accurate or where the "disaster" has ever actually happened.

He said they have received a few alerts about Tsunamis and earthquakes.. none of which have been accurate or where the "disaster" has ever actually happened.
Some false positives are inevitable. Again, if you wait until you're certain the earthquake will hit then it's too late to give the warning. I'm quite willing to believe that some countries will get it wrong, but they risk people turning the feature off so I'd hope they'd do their best to choose useful criteria.

Some false positives are inevitable. Again, if you wait until you're certain the earthquake will hit then it's too late to give the warning. I'm quite willing to believe that some countries will get it wrong, but they risk people turning the feature off so I'd hope they'd do their best to choose useful criteria.
From what he was saying they have all been "false positives"...

If we take weather as an example, it is notoriously unpredictable. What sort of accuracy could we expect to see? Who's doing the perceiving and the predictions? I can assume there will be no evidence provided to any of us in any event/alert?

Truth isn't an obsession. Truth is the benchmark for life and the basis of civilisation. I don't lay awake at night or obsess about truth.

I'm sure we've all been lied to, misled or deceived by others at some point in our lives.

I don't know about others, but I feel far better telling the truth than misleading or lieing to others.

Please stop insinuating I've got an obsession, it couldn't be further from the truth.

Thing is your truth about pandemic is far removed from what I & others believe is truth, so who is actually telling the truth when discussing virus, treatment & precautions in your many threads on subject.

Listen you do have a unhealthy obsession about subject, it stands out so clearly.

Moderator note: The ensuing conversation about Covid 19 has been split to a separate thread https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/covid-19-response.105518/

Last edited by a moderator:
So OK?
I’ve read up a little more on this. And at some point during a routine system update on my phone. Am I right in thinking in “systems apps” there was an app installed to override my device till I respond to an emergency broadcast from the nearest mobile phone antenna? (Clicking an acknowledgement on a pop up. Effectively shutting it up.)

Personally, I wish to find a way to disable this.. when the “apocalypse comes.” I’m confident I can act on my own initiative.. Handled disaster reasonably well thus far..

Personally, I wish to find a way to disable this.. when the “apocalypse comes.” I’m confident I can act on my own initiative.. Handled disaster reasonably well thus far..
As I understand it, it's a built in feature of modern phones (at least smartphones). On my Android phone I just searched for emergency in Settings and got this which seems self-explanatory, and I assume iPhones show it similarly:
Screenshot_20230321-200813.png

It seems there are two types of people here, those that duck when someone shouts "duck" and those that will ask "why" and continue on their, possibly short, way.

In 2007, we woke to the sight of a car wedged in the middle of deep floodwater just down the road, when unprecedented flooding had washed the bridge away overnight. Such flooding had never occurred before, and hasn’t since. The unsuspecting motorist had driven down the hill in the dark, straight into the deep water. Now if (and I do think it is a big if, time will tell) the alarm system works as I think it should, and sends a signal out from the nearby phone masts to all mobiles in the area), this driver would have been saved a cold ducking and insurance write off at best, and at worst, a drowning for themselves and their passengers. No amount of confidence in his ability to act on his initiative would have saved him, but a timely warning might have..

As I understand it, it's a built in feature of modern phones (at least smartphones). On my Android phone I just searched for emergency in Settings and got this which seems self-explanatory, and I assume iPhones show it similarly:
View attachment 24901
Thanks Bruce.

I found a couple of suspects in systems apps? Which may or may not be relevant. “Emergencymanager service?” Or/and. “Emergencyprovider.”

In 2007, we woke to the sight of a car wedged in the middle of deep floodwater just down the road, when unprecedented flooding had washed the bridge away overnight. Such flooding had never occurred before, and hasn’t since. The unsuspecting motorist had driven down the hill in the dark, straight into the deep water. Now if (and I do think it is a big if, time will tell) the alarm system works as I think it should, and sends a signal out from the nearby phone masts to all mobiles in the area), this driver would have been saved a cold ducking and insurance write off at best, and at worst, a drowning for themselves and their passengers. No amount of confidence in his ability to act on his initiative would have saved him, but a timely warning might have..
To be fair. I’m thinking about keeping things simple regarding the apps I use & device power management regarding my T1?

I don’t subscribe to David Icke. I’m also aware that any roads near “rail track” land round my parts can flood?? When the surrounding farm land water table is high.?

We yokels do it the old fashioned way. I’m not disputing its general effectiveness. Just not my “bag.” There are also other apps for that. 🙂

Edit & and an aside. Looking at your profile pic. I was also brought up around horses. A hypo on one is interesting. The animal seems to loose the same focus as I did. Just wants to get the head down & scoff sweet grass?

I found a couple of suspects in systems apps? Which may or may not be relevant. “Emergencymanager service?” Or/and. “Emergencyprovider.”
Those don't sound quite right to me. As you can see, the wording is really clear in the preferences I showed and I'd expect other phones to be pretty clear.

So perhaps your phone doesn't yet support this feature, or (of course) you're looking in the wrong place: it's in Settings, and I'd expect it to be the same on iPhones (I don't have an iPhone but my iPad has a Settings app with a search box, and that's where I'd be looking first).

Those don't sound quite right to me. As you can see, the wording is really clear in the preferences I showed and I'd expect other phones to be pretty clear.

So perhaps your phone doesn't yet support this feature, or (of course) you're looking in the wrong place: it's in Settings, and I'd expect it to be the same on iPhones (I don't have an iPhone but my iPad has a Settings app with a search box, and that's where I'd be looking first).

Full range of emergency alerts on my android phone.
And an interesting AI assistant that with respond to me, and text my emergency contacts with a location if I need assistance.

Thanks again for balanced thoughts on this. Now oddly. My phone is Android, But I do use an iPad mini 6. (Along with a Widows PC.)

Maybe I’m nosing in the wrong place on the Android. This topic has piqued my interest. But not in an “Area 51” way. When I see random folk running in the opposite direction without sports wear. I’m likely to pick up on the hint. The alert could say “terrorist attack?” In my experience it was a guy threatening violence who managed to just walk out of a psychiatric unit.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m nosing in the wrong place on the Android. This topic has piqued my interest.
At least on my (Android 13) phone there's a Settings app which has it (though I usually pull down from the top of the screen).
The alert could say “terrorist attack?”
I guess so. I imagine it might have been helpful during the various terror incidents in London a while back, to tell people to stay away from the affected stations. I'm guessing the main use will be for flooding, but maybe it's only occasionally useful for that (since normally you get a few days warning).

Feels like something that's basically free so the government ought to be ready to use it, but really not something that's all that useful for the UK.

Thanks again for balanced thoughts on this. Now oddly. My phone is Android, But I do use an iPad mini 6. (Along with a Widows PC.)

Maybe I’m nosing in the wrong place on the Android. This topic has piqued my interest. But not in an “Area 51” way. When I see random folk running in the opposite direction without sports wear. I’m likely to pick up on the hint. The alert could say “terrorist attack?” In my experience it was a guy threatening violence who managed to just walk out of a psychiatric unit.

The alert could say anything.
It depends on what you do with it that'll be the thing.

The alert could say anything.
It depends on what you do with it that'll be the thing.
Basically a heads up to kiss my “A&E” goodby, in the event of a nuclear assault.

I do live near a forest. If there is a fire? I will grab my T1 paraphernalia & get me to a main road & out the way.
I’m not at risk by any stretch to paranoia, to flood.

I appreciate your concern. But in relative “peace,” I’d rather focus on the tools I use for my health & maintain a measured personal/balanced judgment on projected events.

Phone users are being warned that using mobile phones during the 'Armageddon' alert could cause huge disruptions if you're shopping, banking or using popular mobile apps such as Whatsapp.

Which is fine when you know when the test is happening, but not for the usual use of alerts.

Back