Anyone in remission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is no way to reverse that damage then why are scientists trying to see if that's possible?

Next week I'll talk to a few of them on a type 1 event and the theme will be reversal of type 1 diabetes through immunotherapy. It's frustrating and disappointing we can't really discuss this on a diabetesforum, other types could use some support as well.

Who is stopping you discussing it?

I believe there are some immunotherapies that delay the progress of T1, but they won't 'reverse' and bring back lost beta cells and will only work if it's caught before the damage is too extensive.

There's been some research into transplanting beta cells, though, but I'm not sure how successful this has been.

Next week I'll talk to a few of them on a type 1 event and the theme will be reversal of type 1 diabetes through immunotherapy. It's frustrating and disappointing we can't really discuss this on a diabetesforum, other types could use some support as well.

Immunotherapy is an exciting area of research, but as I understand it while the results are promising, it’s still at an experimental/research stage. It’s not available outside of carefully controlled trials.

Feel free to start a thread to discuss it - the General messageboard is probably a good bet. This section of the forum is intended more for the discussion of T2 remission which has several current viable approaches which have moved past the research stage into wider roll-out.

Islet cell transplantation has been an option for several years (along with full pancreas transplantation) but these are major surgical procedures, and carry with them the need for ongoing immunosuppressant therapy which is not without its own challenges. The last I heard islet cell transplantation was likely to be able to make someone self-sufficient in insulin production for a limited number of years, with the need for injected insulin ‘top ups’ after that as the implanted cells wane.

There was research going into ‘nano-encapsulation’ to protect the implanted islets against autoimmune attack so that they might last longer.

The seriousness of the surgery and follow-up means that transplantation is fairly limited in terms of who is eligible to be considered for it.

The Joslin centre in the US has some interesting stuff about long term T1s who still naturally produce a little insulin themselves.

An ex-consultant on mine (now in Cardiff, I think) is something of a leading light in immunotherapy research I think.

The Joslin centre in the US has some interesting stuff about long term T1s who still naturally produce a little insulin themselves.
Indeed, the scientists from the meeting yesterday (from JDRF) did this research and work closely with the Joslin Centre, a JDRF Center of Excellence. Even after more than 50 years most people still produce insulin and/or have beta cells left. May be all do, but that is hard to research, not only because they need biopsies, but also because they can't always tell the difference between alpha, beta or delta cells. The immune system can though and will only attack beta cells.

Immunotherapy is an exciting area of research, but as I understand it while the results are promising, it’s still at an experimental/research stage. It’s not available outside of carefully controlled trials.
You can already develop your own therapy, you only live once.
If you got the right type of type 1 you can reverse the disease.

I'm possibly in remission. I'm not sure if I am quite ready to call it that rather than diet controlled diabetes. I had a lower starting point than many at 54, but got it down to 39 through low carb low calorie (including consequent significant weight loss). I'm now back to the same clothes size as when I was 18, though I do still weigh a bit more than I did then. (Pregnancies and weight gain have meant slightly more bulge for my lower abdomen I think). Next HbA1c coming up so will see if I have maintained below pre-diabetic level. I have let myself have a few more "treat" days the last couple of months since achieving my desired size. Mostly though I am still maintaining low carb on at least 5 days a week

Hi there, I'm just wondering if there's anyone who has put their type 2 diabetes into remission and how you did that?
Hi,
Newly diagnosed in Feb this year with a Hba1c of 62.

Over 3 months
< 1000 calories a day
< 50g carbs per day
Time restricted eating - initially 8am - 8pm and then 11am - 6pm. Was never really hungry.
Two meals a day and walk for at least 20 minutes right before or after food
Longer walks at the weekend
Only a few glasses of red wine and absolutely no beer over the 12 weeks

Last Hba1c was 29.

I also lost 22Kgs (had a high starting point though....) and about 8 inches off my waist.

Currently trying to reintroduce foods that I miss and testing blood sugar to see the effects.
All fully supported by my GP.

Hi,

Over 3 months
< 1000 calories a day
< 50g carbs per day
Time restricted eating - initially 8am - 8pm and then 11am - 6pm. Was never really hungry.

Last Hba1c was 29.

I also lost 22Kgs (had a high starting point though....) and about 8 inches off my waist.

Currently trying to reintroduce foods that I miss and testing blood sugar to see the effects.
29 that is phenomenal, never heard of anybody getting that low, must be a record for the forum.
Very well done !!!!!!

29 that is phenomenal, never heard of anybody getting that low, must be a record for the forum.
Very well done !!!!!!
Thanks
I'm so new to this that I had no idea that 29 was good. No wonder my GP was happy!
Also, I've tried to reduce stress and get better, more consistent, sleep.

Thanks
I'm so new to this that I had no idea that 29 was good. No wonder my GP was happy!
below 42mmol/mol is normal range, 42-47mmol/mol prediabetic and over that diabetes.
I am surprised that your GP didn't say it was too low. You can probably cut yourself a bit of slack.

Thanks
29 is a good level - relatively low, but not freakish; a routine level for many non-diabetics. I had a 27 a few years ago soon after I'd zapped my T2D and there are others around here who get that kind of level routinely.

Hi,

Over 3 months
< 1000 calories a day
< 50g carbs per day

Last Hba1c was 29.

Wow fab results for you. What kind of foods are you reintroducing? Have you found anything really spikes your sugars?

So far I have tried some oats that I seem to be ok with - I miss porridge!
I will also try a Sunday dinner (potatoes & Yorkshire pudding) and toast.
Just taking it day by day at the moment - it came as quite a shock tbh.

So far I have tried some oats that I seem to be ok with - I miss porridge!
I will also try a Sunday dinner (potatoes & Yorkshire pudding) and toast.
Just taking it day by day at the moment - it came as quite a shock tbh.
You may be better to try either the potatoes or the Yorkshire pudding rather than both together.

How did you get on?
Me and potatoes are not good friends right now :-(
My friends are sweet potatoes, granola, small amount of porridge so far.
Yesterday I ate 70g of carbs in one meal - blood sugar pre was 5.2, 8.1 after 30 mins and then 5.7 after 2 hours. This was mainly cous cous and I think these are normal readings.
Onwards and upwards!

Me and potatoes are not good friends right now :-(
My friends are sweet potatoes, granola, small amount of porridge so far.
Yesterday I ate 70g of carbs in one meal - blood sugar pre was 5.2, 8.1 after 30 mins and then 5.7 after 2 hours. This was mainly cous cous and I think these are normal readings.
Onwards and upwards!
You're doing well to explore the impact these foods are having on your sugars. 5.7 after 2 hours is fab!

I'm not technically in remission but I dropped my numbers back into pre-diabetic range (47), although I have to be there or lower at my next blood test, to be officially in remission.
Low carb and uping my exercise/walking, is what's gotten me there

I'm not technically in remission but I dropped my numbers back into pre-diabetic range (47), although I have to be there or lower at my next blood test, to be officially in remission.
Low carb and uping my exercise/walking, is what's gotten me there
I hope it's only a matter of time for you to be considered in remission! You've done exceptionally well to bring your levels back down into the pre-diabetes range. Happy for you! :D

Diet and time restricted eating..

Ketogenic diet and 8 (now 6) hour eating window.

Took 4 months to get into remission and have been there for the past 7 1/2 years.
I'm getting lined up for it I've to go look at what it actually entails but only just got my bloods into single figures rularly .can you tell me how remission is done please

I'm getting lined up for it I've to go look at what it actually entails but only just got my bloods into single figures rularly .can you tell me how remission is done please
For Type 2 diabetic. The official definition is generally thought to be 2 consecutive HbA1C below 48mmol/mol without diabetic medication would put you in remission.
However my personal opinion is that the criteria should be below 42mmol/mol as that would be normal range rather than a level that would give a diagnosis of 'at risk' or prediabetes.
Some info on this on the main DUK site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back