Anyone in remission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoUser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi there, I'm just wondering if there's anyone who has put their type 2 diabetes into remission and how you did that?

Diet and time restricted eating..

Ketogenic diet and 8 (now 6) hour eating window.

Took 4 months to get into remission and have been there for the past 7 1/2 years.

Eating a low carb diet, a very easy option for me.

Diet and time restricted eating..

Ketogenic diet and 8 (now 6) hour eating window.

Took 4 months to get into remission and have been there for the past 7 1/2 years.
Wow 7 1/2 years. That’s amazing. And even more amazing that it took 4 months. What was your HbA1c at diagnoses?

Not sure if I am in 'remission' or not, as when I was I told to stop taking the 500mg of Metformin I was on, I decided to keep on it due to its other apparent benefits. After diagnosis I cut processed food out, stopped eating as much, lost 3 stone and hba1c was in normal levels 3 months later from a high of 83. Metformin cut to 500mg. Next hba1cs have all been good, as well, so cutting Metformin made no difference... my friend who is a GP saw my finger prick readings and said he was surprised I was still taking it and probably don't need it.

Reading up, I think I caught it early, though, as despite a hba1c of 83, fasting glucose was only in the 6s. Fasting levels are apparently the last ones to rise as T2 progresses, and having low fasting glucose at diagnosis is an indication that remission is more likely...

Maybe I'll stop the Metformin next time I'm asked and see what happens!

Not sure if I am in 'remission' or not, as when I was I told to stop taking the 500mg of Metformin I was on, I decided to keep on it due to its other apparent benefits. After diagnosis I cut processed food out, stopped eating as much, lost 3 stone and hba1c was in normal levels 3 months later from a high of 83. Metformin cut to 500mg. Next hba1cs have all been good, as well, so cutting Metformin made no difference... my friend who is a GP saw my finger prick readings and said he was surprised I was still taking it and probably don't need it.

Reading up, I think I caught it early, though, as despite a hba1c of 83, fasting glucose was only in the 6s. Fasting levels are apparently the last ones to rise as T2 progresses, and having low fasting glucose at diagnosis is an indication that remission is more likely...

Maybe I'll stop the Metformin next time I'm asked and see what happens!
Sounds like remission. Pleased to hear you’re doing well since. Have you maintained your weight loss? That’s really good stuff.

Yup me too. HbA1c at diagnosis 150. Diet, exercise, reduced carbs, weight loss. HbA1c is now 37 and has been for the past 2 years

Yup me too. HbA1c at diagnosis 150. Diet, exercise, reduced carbs, weight loss. HbA1c is now 37 and has been for the past 2 years
Amazing

Oh and it only took a few months. Determined, focussed, and informed (from this forum and the internet) and lots of effort.

My most important tools 1. The blood glucose machine. 2. food and body weight scales. 3. The internet. 4 my extensive App that analyses everything and gives me visualisation of what is good/bad.

Diet only, low carb 70g per day, HbA1C down from 50mmol/mol to 42 in 3 months and 2 years on now at 39mmol/mol a bit up on last time but due to less exercise because of a knee injury so quite pleased with that in the circumstances.

HbA1c from 89 to low/mid 30s in 6 months, just via weight loss. Have maintained the weight loss & normal blood glucose regulation for 4+ years now. I eat a "heart healthy" diet including lots of carbs.

…still in Remission…😉

…As per my signature 🙂

Yes with low GI diet and bariatric surgery, was off all medication for two years but developed acute pancreatitis and now much worse than before despite continued slow and steady weight loss, not sure will manage it again but am trying.

Wow 7 1/2 years. That’s amazing. And even more amazing that it took 4 months. What was your HbA1c at diagnoses?
87 mmol/mol

How many grams of carbs do you have per day?
I began at no more than 50gm per day, all from foods under 11 percent carb.
After a while I tried to reduce my Hba1c into the 30s and reduced my intake of carbs to no more than 40gm per day, but there was no change. As I had been eating that way for a year I decided to stay at that level, but my Hba1c has remained the same. I was eating at 12 hourly intervals, but these days I don't feel hungry first thing, so just have coffee with cream and then eat in the evening.

Don't know where to put it, but I have some feedback for the remission section.

The title of the section reads "Type 2 Remission Information and Support", how about leaving out the type 2 part?

Untill 2016 type 2 remission wasn't even possible according to the latest state of the art and this turned out to be wrong, why wouldn't remission for other types be possible? Or do we have to wait for the WHO to confirm that before it's true?

The title of the section reads "Type 2 Remission Information and Support", how about leaving out the type 2 part?

Untill 2016 type 2 remission wasn't even possible according to the latest state of the art and this turned out to be wrong, why wouldn't remission for other types be possible? Or do we have to wait for the WHO to confirm that before it's true?
Dr Atkins was writing about people on his diet becoming latent diabetics - the treatment of diabetics by diet was well known and written about for centuries. It is simply denial and ignorance which has done so much damage to people in the fairly recent past.

Untill 2016 type 2 remission wasn't even possible according to the latest state of the art and this turned out to be wrong, why wouldn't remission for other types be possible? Or do we have to wait for the WHO to confirm that before it's true

‘Other types’ mean the pancreas has been removed or the beta cells have been destroyed by the immune system and undergone apoptosis. There is no way to reverse that damage, although scientists are trying to see if it’s possible - so far without much success.

T2 is a totally different condition… still some insulin production, and beta cells that aren’t dead, just ‘sleeping.’

Me. 9.5 years, via a reduced carb diet, and initially home testing my blood sugars to understand what I needed to do.

My signature has a few more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back