A Question for T2's from a T1 please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it problematic how much is left to the individual to research and understand diabetes. Some will.
Some will have the analytical and problem solving skills, and the numeracy required.
Others won't
I think more should be done for this latter group.

I think it problematic how much is left to the individual to research and understand diabetes. Some will.
Some will have the analytical and problem solving skills, and the numeracy required.
Others won't
Agreed.

And to stop blocking or contradicting the former who are the ones testing, recording and living that data and likely spending many more hours studying type 2 and diet specifically than they ever did.

Gosh I remember writing at least one. The disappointing response by the government was to more or less say it wasn't up to them. FWIW the GP's nurse at my surgery gives all the newly diagnosed a test kit and instructions on how/when to test in order to work out the best diet for themselves. She invited me to work with her and I produced a chart of "foods you can eat freely" etc etc (see attached) however, due to the government healthy eating advice at the time it was unfortunately dumbed down a fair bit. HOwever, it was displayed on the notice board. The surgery then moved to new premises with no noticeboards.
Perhaps your poster should be a sticky on the newbies page here.

Others won't
It's a numbers game at the end of the day. Like informing the general public. You can regular mail them, email them, text them, phone them, get a slot on tv. But there will always be those that are missed. You've also got the fact that the government is renowned for wasting huge amounts of money. Equally there are services that go above and beyond. The pandemic proved that.

It's a numbers game at the end of the day. Like informing the general public. You can regular mail them, email them, text them, phone them, get a slot on tv. But there will always be those that are missed. You've also got the fact that the government is renowned for wasting huge amounts of money. Equally there are services that go above and beyond. The pandemic proved that.
Yes but every newly diagnosed diabetic gets spoken to by a nurse/dr and then again at every review. They are all offered some sort of diet education/diabetes course (or should be) at diagnosis. Surely theres ample opportunity get the message across without too much chance of missing anyone entirely. The problem is the huge gaps and misinformation in said education.

Yes but every newly diagnosed diabetic gets spoken to by a nurse/dr and then again at every review. They are all offered some sort of diet education/diabetes course (or should be) at diagnosis. Surely theres ample opportunity get the message across without too much chance of missing anyone entirely. The problem is the huge gaps and misinformation in said education.
True that. Apart from the fact surgeries have a real problem with patients not attending and missing appointments. I've been offered a chiropadist three times. Never happened. My medical report says I've refused stuff that I've never even heard of. They've also got a problem with people who do attend not wanting to be there. As highlighted by the nurse at my recent review. Education is great when people want to learn.

When I changed GP and asked for a prescription of strips I was told I don't need them and it's only if I'm on insulin. Just find it odd, would think the best way to manage diabetes is knowing how what you're doing and consuming daily is affecting your sugar levels.

True that. Apart from the fact surgeries have a real problem with patients not attending and missing appointments. I've been offered a chiropadist three times. Never happened. My medical report says I've refused stuff that I've never even heard of. They've also got a problem with people who do attend not wanting to be there. As highlighted by the nurse at my recent review. Education is great when people want to learn.
You can lead a horse to water (offer the appropriate education) ……. but you can’t make it drink (do anything with that offer)

For sure there will always be people that don’t want to attend their appointments or make the necessary changes and they will face the consequences as a result

But that is a totally different thing to not being told accurately in the first place what those changes should be or provided access to the knowledge and choices available.

The (accurate and full) education has to be in place first otherwise it’s not a choice at all

You can lead a horse to water (offer the appropriate education) ……. but you can’t make it drink (do anything with that offer)

For sure there will always be people that don’t want to attend their appointments or make the necessary changes and they will face the consequences as a result

But that is a totally different thing to not being told accurately in the first place what those changes should be or provided access to the knowledge and choices available.

The (accurate and full) education has to be in place first otherwise it’s not a choice at all
You don't get much of a choice when going to school. Government is a two party system. It's a free country.

I was told multiple times by my surgery that I don't need to test and the kit certainly would not be supplied by them. At my last review I had printed off my spreadsheet with my finger prick results on it as well as a LibreView report (I would email them if they would give me an email address). Again, I got told you don't need to test "as you're not at risk of a Hypo". Ironically they asked if they could keep my printouts, I said that was fine, in fact that's why I had printed them. I was told they would be scanned to add to my medical records.

Personally I found the insights from my finger prick results and the couple of CGMs I've used very helpful. The info has been invaluable for me to see my BG and what foods affect this more or less. I'd say this tech has helped me to get my A1c down as much as the lifestyle changes and medication. But I'm in the fortunate position that I can afford to purchase the meter and strips as well as the CGM, the first Libre was free, as they offer a trial. I'm fully aware some people would have to at best make sacrifices to afford these. When I read the NICE guidelines recently, my take was they stated these should not be offered to Type 2s, unless they are on medication which risks a Hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back