A Question for T2's from a T1 please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without testing I would have probably gone on believing that I can eat beans and peas and just see the expected rise in blood glucose - BUT - for every carefully weighed portion I somehow extract 180% of the listed amount.
My gut seems to be a bit of an overachiever when it comes to carbs of any kind, but it just takes on legumes as a challenge to its efficiency......

Its shocking how t2 are treated.
The thing is if you are motivated, articulate and have a bit of spare cash to self fund you are ok, but what about people who aren't?
Hopefully things will get better.

As a Type 1 I'm amazed at the GP's response. Is this normal? How can T2's manage their diabetes without knowing how different foods affect them?
Yes completely normal, many T2s that test self fund the strips.

That's hillarious!
It’s really not. I’ve been told the line about “don’t test as you’ll need your fingers to read braille” by a doctor before too

It’s really not. I’ve been told the line about “don’t test as you’ll need your fingers to read braille” by a doctor before too
Shocking! "Don't test, we'll take care of everything" and then they don't. This forum is pure gold.

I don't understand this when people on insulin are told to test.
Is that because we are less likely to need to read braille?

On diagnosis in 2000ish, but not yet on insulin, I was given a meter, standard practice then for all, and told to use only outside 3 fingers on each hand, because you will need your index fingers and thumbs if (when possibly implied) you go blind.

Another aspect of this common attitude about T2s not needing to self test may be that surgeries fear that self-testers will take up surgery time asking if it is significant that their readings have been 5.6 for weeks but have now risen to 5.8.
Yet another example how education about the kit helps then, but first they need to be educated themselves how to use bgm for testing foods rather than solely for insulin dosages and hypo avoidance.

If you go back to the NICE guidelines on treatment of T2 you will find that there is no real guidance on the subject of monitoring.
Hi docb,

The question for me is, does self testing t2's provide information that could be used to improve control? If so, then on health grounds, surely the NICE advice should be clear, that testing should be made available.

Probably just assume you’ll have to struggle to read braille because of all the testing

Hello everyone, I haven't posted here for a few years but I think this forum is the best place to ask my question.

My partner was diagnosed T2 six months ago and at the beginning I gave him my spare blood testing kit to keep an eye on his BG levels. I expected his GP to prescribe a test kit but he didn't.

The strips are now finished so he asked his GP for a prescription. His GP refused telling him he doesn't need to check his BG! He will have his bloods checked every 3 months and that's enough. He doesn't need to stress over his BG levels.

As a Type 1 I'm amazed at the GP's response. Is this normal? How can T2's manage their diabetes without knowing how different foods affect them?

Maybe there is a change of policy for T2's but I thought you got one box of test strips per month?
Being a GP is a job. And some really aren't that good at their job. The real world.

Hi docb,

The question for me is, does self testing t2's provide information that could be used to improve control? If so, then on health grounds, surely the NICE advice should be clear, that testing should be made available.

It depends.
I was diagnosed with a hba1c of 83, bought a meter, did a few tests, and then didn't do any for three months.
I just changed 'lifestyle' and lost weight.
Next hba1c was 36.
Just before the blood test I used a trial Libre and the first reading I saw in the 5s.
After a week I knew things had come under control.

Maybe I was just lucky in that the weight loss/diet change got levels back down.
I certainly had no idea what was going on for 3 months.

Being a GP is a job. And some really aren't that good at their job. The real world.
My brother, T2, was distinctly advised to use the sides of fingers and avoid fingertips BECAUSE we all need the sensitivity of our fingertipsfor everyday sensitivity and dexterity.

If HCPs have somehow lost sight of that fairly obvious rationale, this is a huge shame - and something of a disgrace if true. But at the very least we can quietly explain and educate those who might have been misled.

My brother, T2, was distinctly advised to use the sides of fingers and avoid fingertips BECAUSE we all need the sensitivity of our fingertipsfor everyday sensitivity and dexterity.

If HCPs have somehow lost sight of that fairly obvious rationale, this is a huge shame - and something of a disgrace if true. But at the very least we can quietly explain and educate those who might have been misled.
And a productive discussion relies on others taking on-board what you have to say. Not throwing any stones.

It depends.
I was diagnosed with a hba1c of 83, bought a meter, did a few tests, and then didn't do any for three months.
I just changed 'lifestyle' and lost weight.
Next hba1c was 36.
Just before the blood test I used a trial Libre and the first reading I saw in the 5s.
After a week I knew things had come under control.

Maybe I was just lucky in that the weight loss/diet change got levels back down.
I certainly had no idea what was going on for 3 months.
Hi,

Of course, if someone chooses not to test, be that by circumstances or just not wanting to test that is their right. The question seems to be about blanket GP decisions not to allow type 2's to self test, regardless of circumstances. If testing can help in their control, then nothing wrong with clear guidance being given (NICE) making self testing available to those that wish to test?

There again, just becasue the NICE guidance is unclear, a GP in practice can "practice" what they see fit based on their experience and good judgement. Although we seem to have moved away from those medicallly trained, being able to freely act on their own good judgement and instead blindly following official guidelines, following covid.

Hi,

Of course, if someone chooses not to test, be that by circumstances or just not wanting to test that is their right. The question seems to be about blanket GP decisions not to allow type 2's to self test, regardless of circumstances. If testing can help in their control, then nothing wrong with clear guidance being given (NICE) making self testing available to those that wish to test?

There again, just becasue the NICE guidance is unclear, a GP in practice can "practice" what they see fit based on their experience and good judgement. Although we seem to have moved away from those medicallly trained, being able to freely act on their own good judgement and instead blindly following official guidelines, following covid.
The lack of being able to act freely began long before covid hit.

Many were both not given testing equipment AND told not to test - even if self funded - well before then. So perhaps not muddy the water with irrelevancies or get on that soapbox in this discussion.

Hi,

Testing has never been mentioned to me.
The nurse did ask if I tested, but was not interested in the results.
She was only interested when I showed her a value in the low 3s after a night at the pub and a walk home and said I should have eaten some jelly babies.
This is quite clearly an idiotic answer, as 15 minutes later levels are back to normal naturally. She even blamed it on the Metformin, but after two weeks off Metformin the same happened.

I do a lot of testing now - did a lot of testing on holiday when I was eating things like ice cream and pizza slices.

Last edited:
Testing has never been mentioned to me.
Wow! there's another question for another discussion. If those diagnosed are not even told about testing, then they can't even make an informed decision to test or not. Got to say, i'm very suprised by some of the points raised in this thread about availability and advice on testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back