• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Wow -what's happening?

The feelings might not be identical, but it's a starting point for explaining hypoglycaemia to runners. I suspect that during a 400m / 440 yard race the "white out" feeling is actually a change from anaerobic to aerobic exercise. I know that I suffered periods of hypoglycaemia (often accompanied by mild hypothermia) as a very skinny teenager, long before diabetes. In particular, the recovery sensation is very similar.

Ha ha! I experience that 'whiteout' feeling at the start of every run, until my heart and lungs get the message and start working a bit harder!

Paula Radcliffe describes in her autobiography about experiencing hypoglycaemia on occasions - she's a bit of a skinny chick too! Needs to eat more lard...:) Actually, she is my all-time athletic heroine.

I wish hypoglycemia was like hitting "the wall", then i could totally do a marathon :D

hi northener glad you're getting better
:)

Am glad you are on the up again Northerner. Agree with you totally on the Paula radcliffe front too!

glad to hear you sorted it out. I find it very annoying when blood sugars go wonky for no explanation. I can accept it if I can figure out the probable reason why.

I think I was low last night, had cold sweats and was very restless, really should have tested but tried to ignore it and go back to sleep.

It is so reassuring to learn that we all have "peculiar" readings from time to time and for no apparent reason. Just as I think I'm getting a grip on all of this then something trips me up and stops me getting complacent

Northerner, glad you are back on the up and trust this evening doesn't lead to a repeat of last night

Good news Alan

Thanks John. The thing that bothered me most was that it shouldn't have happened. Like you, I always have something to eat if my level is below around 7 at night. If I hadn't had that peanut butter sarnie last night goodness knows what I would have fallen to, I was dropping so fast!

Things seem to be ok so far today, touch wood.

Glad to hear you're recovering.

I always check the obit section in my local paper and if I'm not listed I'll do my morning bs test and enjoy the rest of the day ;) :)

I strongly suspect injection-site problems. Bearing in mind insulin can be stored by the body and not used if one day during the last 12 years (yes, 12 years!) you have had an iffy area and injected into it, then the body can just decide to release it all in one fell swoop.

There is NO WAY of knowing or predicting this - which is the sole reason I'm now very very careful to rotate sites (that and the bomb crater on my right thigh, LOL)

I strongly suspect injection-site problems. Bearing in mind insulin can be stored by the body and not used if one day during the last 12 years (yes, 12 years!) you have had an iffy area and injected into it, then the body can just decide to release it all in one fell swoop.

There is NO WAY of knowing or predicting this - which is the sole reason I'm now very very careful to rotate sites (that and the bomb crater on my right thigh, LOL)

I don't know, trophywench, I've only been diagnosed 9 months and do rotate sites. I check for any lumps around the area I inject and it was OK. Plus, it was lantus and, as I understand it, lantus works by forming small crystals under the skin which gradually 'melt' over 18-24 hours - I wouldn't have thought that process could be speeded up. Nevertheless, it's something to bear in mind, and I'll leave that area alone for a couple of weeks!:)

Had another hypo last night, this time in my sleep. Probably my 'own fault' as I went to bed at 7.1 and didn't have my usual snack. Woke at around 2:30 to go to the loo and tested - 2.7. This morning I woke at 6.5, which is actually the highest I've been in the morning for four months, I suppose due to the rebound effect and the snack I had to treat the hypo.

Must make sure I snack before bed!:)

Take care Alan. Have you changed any routines?
When is your next clinic check?

Take care Alan. Have you changed any routines?
When is your next clinic check?

Thanks John. I'm not due at the clinic for another 4 months, although I will contact the DSN if this becomes a more frequent problem. I suspect it may possibly have something to do with increased daytime activity levels, and the delayed effects of that. I've been increasing my running mileage just recently, and looking back it seems that I had some night hypos the last time I did this, until I got used to the mileage. I think possibly reducing my basal might be the solution for times like this - still learning! Mind you, that one the other night still strikes me as very strange!:confused:

Hi Northener. I too had a massive hypo last night, blood sugars read 1.7 and after having a snack it went up to 3.6 but an hour and a half later (4.20am) I had another hypo and sugars went down again to 2.4. Has anyone else had this happen to them, I am not feeling to good at the moment it feels like amassive hangover and I still have the shakes a bit.
________
Valium Rehab Advice

Last edited:
Yep Northerner, I was going to say... sounds like you need to reduce your basal dosage a bit.

You really shouldn't have to have a snack every night before bed either.

Last edited:
Hi Northener. I too had a massive hypo last night, blood sugars read 1.7 and after having a snack it went up to 3.6 but an hour and a half later (4.20am) I had another hypo and sugars went down again to 2.4. Has anyone else had this happen to them, I am not feeling to good at the moment it feels like amassive hangover and I still have the shakes a bit.

Hi carolyn, yes -I feel like I've got a massive hangover too! So unfair when I haven't touched a drop! I've had hypos in the past where I've treated it and then it's fallen again, but during the day. I think in my case then I'd probably not eaten enough 'slow' release carbs, so the sugar I'd had went quickly into my blood and then dipped again. I find that peanut butter sandwiches are best, or digestives/fruit cereal bars during the night. Hopefully, we'll both get a peaceful night tonight!:)

Yep Northerner, I was going to say... sounds like you need to need to reduce your basal dosage a bit.

You really shouldn't have to have a snack every night before bed either.

I know, I guess I'm still learning what to do. I'll try the basal reduction when I next increase my running mileage (that's something I didn't think I'd be saying a few months ago - nice to feel that I can make informed decisions about things, but still a lot to learn!)

Hi Northerner. I had a snack before bedtime, perhaps I am going to have to change my midnight picnics. I love peanut butter will have to try that. (I take 180 units of Levemir) I have a wheat intolerance so I have to watch what I can eat. I am trying out some rice flour for a sponge so I will let you know how it turns out.
________
Water bongs

Last edited:
Thanks John. I'm not due at the clinic for another 4 months, although I will contact the DSN if this becomes a more frequent problem. I suspect it may possibly have something to do with increased daytime activity levels, and the delayed effects of that. I've been increasing my running mileage just recently, and looking back it seems that I had some night hypos the last time I did this, until I got used to the mileage. I think possibly reducing my basal might be the solution for times like this - still learning! Mind you, that one the other night still strikes me as very strange!:confused:

I read somewhere that the effects of exercise can last up to 36 hours! so if you are increasing I would imagine you need to be either increasing carb intake or reducing insulin at some point?? Just a thought. I can never really judge myself with exercise, sometimes no difference, other times i can be quite low the next day :confused:

Hi Northerner. I had a snack before bedtime, perhaps I am going to have to change my midnight picnics. I love peanut butter will have to try that. (I take 180 units of Levemir) I have a wheat intolerance so I have to watch what I can eat. I am trying out some rice flour for a sponge so I will let you know how it turns out.

Hi Carolyn
My dear companion, Wendy, has a gluten intolerance but finds cake recipes and many others use high oil levels and sugar as binding agents.
She has just been diagnosed T2 with diet/exercise control.

If you wish, I'll get her to look up some stuff and pm it to you.

Rye bread is good.

Last edited:
Back