What was you BG at diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what mine was as I was in hospital when I was diagnosed it was high they lost me but managed to get me back and iv heard my diabetes nurses mention 36 BG but never mentioned ketones he does joke about him being happy if I don't hit 20BG hahaha iv got them right down now still a litter high I average 10.1

My HbA1c was 137. Luckily the blood was taken in the GPs office in the afternoon and the results were given to me around 0830 the next day. Was told to go straight to A&E and they were expecting it.

Bit of a suprise in one respect as I was doing twice daily Phys sessions most days and didn't feel tired at all. However, excess thirst, peeing and rapid weight loss (17kg in less than 6 months) in addition to a yeast infection should have pointed to something serious.

A nice sliding scale brought levels back down, GAD antibodies came back at 1081, so Type 1 diagnoses. Ketones were negligible.

My HbA1c was 137. Luckily the blood was taken in the GPs office in the afternoon and the results were given to me around 0830 the next day. Was told to go straight to A&E and they were expecting it.

Bit of a suprise in one respect as I was doing twice daily Phys sessions most days and didn't feel tired at all. However, excess thirst, peeing and rapid weight loss (17kg in less than 6 months) in addition to a yeast infection should have pointed to something serious.

A nice sliding scale brought levels back down, GAD antibodies came back at 1081, so Type 1 diagnoses. Ketones were negligible.
Scary stuff

It wasn't great at all, if it wasn't for the yeast infection I would have continued on as normal. The other symptoms were easy to find excuses for. It was summer so of course I am drinking more therefore peeing more. Of course I am loosing weight, I am doin physical activity twice a day

Luckily there was something I couldn't (and wasn't allowed to ignore by my wife.) ignore. If it was me on my own I would not have mentioned the other symptoms and only seen the GP for the yeast infection.

Hi Andy

Have you been started on insulin yet or are you still managing with diet and Gliclazide? Just wondering how things panned out for you as it has been a while since you updated your intro thread and I know it wasn't a totally straightforward diagnosis with there being a Type 2 suggestion despite that info in your post above which should have made it pretty obvious you were Type 1. Just wondered how you were getting on?

Hi Andy

Have you been started on insulin yet or are you still managing with diet and Gliclazide? Just wondering how things panned out for you as it has been a while since you updated your intro thread and I know it wasn't a totally straightforward diagnosis with there being a Type 2 suggestion despite that info in your post above which should have made it pretty obvious you were Type 1. Just wondered how you were getting on?
Hi @rebrascora,

In the end it was confirmed T1. So far everything is by and large within range and being managed ok. Still on Gliclazide (40mg in the morning) and Metformin (500mg breakfast and evening meal).

I have been using the Libre 2 for about 3 weeks now. It's interesting seeing what spikes and also seeing common trends when going low/high. I still finger prick if I think the libre is off for any reason.

Aware this honeymoon period won't last forever and it can't be predicted how long it will last, but we will deal with everything when it arises.

Hi @rebrascora,

In the end it was confirmed T1. So far everything is by and large within range and being managed ok. Still on Gliclazide (40mg in the morning) and Metformin (500mg breakfast and evening meal).

I have been using the Libre 2 for about 3 weeks now. It's interesting seeing what spikes and also seeing common trends when going low/high. I still finger prick if I think the libre is off for any reason.

Aware this honeymoon period won't last forever and it can't be predicted how long it will last, but we will deal with everything when it arises.
I hadn’t read your other thread. I am shocked at the fact that your Drs originally said type 2 when I read your post I thought type 1 instantly!

I hadn’t read your other thread. I am shocked at the fact that your Drs originally said type 2 when I read your post I thought type 1 instantly!
Hi @Lily123,

I think in part my age and family history of T2 may have clouded things initially, but it wasn't long before it was all conformed.

To be fair, I've been very happy with how things have been done so far, the diabetic team are good at getting back in touch, the dietitian sensible too which all helps.

Hi @Lily123,

I think in part my age and family history of T2 may have clouded things initially, but it wasn't long before it was all conformed.

To be fair, I've been very happy with how things have been done so far, the diabetic team are good at getting back in touch, the dietitian sensible too which all helps.
That’s good that you diabetes team are good

Hi @rebrascora,

Really interesting Andy that you are still managing with just the Gliclazide and presumably low carb diet and exercise. I very much doubt the Metformin is doing much in your case but they are always quite slow to take you off it for some reason. Hoping your honeymoon period continues if you are managing it well. Libre is brilliant and really helps you to understand how your body works and see it's rhythms and patterns and how it responds to different foods and exercises.
Have you got it on prescription or are you self funding at the moment?

Really interesting Andy that you are still managing with just the Gliclazide and presumably low carb diet and exercise. I very much doubt the Metformin is doing much in your case but they are always quite slow to take you off it for some reason. Hoping your honeymoon period continues if you are managing it well. Libre is brilliant and really helps you to understand how your body works and see it's rhythms and patterns and how it responds to different foods and exercises.
Have you got it on prescription or are you self funding at the moment?
@rebrascora, I have kept up the low(er) carb diet,(fat is not the enemy) and maintaining my fitness, to the point I am running quicker now in my mid 30s than I was in my late 20s.

The libre is on prescription which is great, don't have to think of how to afford it Vs do I really need it as the finger pricking was doing a job.

Only time I've had ketones in whole numbers was after I broke a kneecap a couple of years since then to add trauma to trauma they had to operate so heaped it on - hardly any wonder my body showed its displeasure! Needed to up my insulin to 3x the normal level for a while.

Well T1 has always been associated with the body fighting a virus, so being as the Covid vaccine produces much the same bodily response if you happen to have those genes, it's hardly a surprise all in all - although of course, nobody knows their body is going to have that partic response, so it's definitely a surprise to those of us that happen to get it, but just shouldn't be to the medical profession.

Well T1 has always been associated with the body fighting a virus, so being as the Covid vaccine produces much the same bodily response if you happen to have those genes, it's hardly a surprise all in all - although of course, nobody knows their body is going to have that partic response, so it's definitely a surprise to those of us that happen to get it, but just shouldn't be to the medical profession.
I put it down to side affects of vachine so didnt relised i was actullty really ill

If memory serves my fingerstick BG was 46 or so (BM sticks read by colours on the side of the tub of strips), and ketones (urine) ++++. These were the highest readings on the tubs, I think? I joked with the nurses that these were the first tests where I’d ever got top marks.

I wasn’t told I was in DKA, at least not that I remember, and I was just in the ward, not ITU or anything. I seem to be lucky in that I’ve never produced ketones very readily. At least not yet!

My BG at diagnosis was 65!!

Here's my diabetes story
I had Gestational Diabetes during my 2nd pregnancy in 1991.
I was never told anything about Diabetes or told to monitor myself when the drs / hospital picked up on the GD towards the middle / end of my pregnancy. I was never told to go back or be monitored etc when my pregnancy had finished. In 1992, one year after i'd had Daniel, i was drinking loads, pints of water, sucking ice pops etc & i became extremely ill, i remember lying down on the settee one day with 2 small babies crawling around (hubby was at work), I called the dr out, they said I had a virus & to drink plenty of sugary fluids so hubby comes hom with some Lechlade. I felt worse the next day, called another dr out & was told the same thing.
Then on the 3rd day my Mum & Dad knowing I was ill went armed with our shopping list, to get all our shopping, when they arrived at our house apparently my Mum came upstairs to find me in bed & i didn't know who she was......i came round in hospital, my BG was 65?, i was diagnosed as Type 1 Diabetic.
The ward sister told my hubby she'd never seen someone with a BG of that number. Apparently if I'd of been left another half an hour it may have been a very different story.

Edit
my BG was in the very high 30s

Last edited:
My BG at diagnosis was 65!!

Here's my diabetes story
I had Gestational Diabetes during my 2nd pregnancy in 1991.
I was never told anything about Diabetes or told to monitor myself when the drs / hospital picked up on the GD towards the middle / end of my pregnancy. I was never told to go back or be monitored etc when my pregnancy had finished. In 1992, one year after i'd had Daniel, i was drinking loads, pints of water, sucking ice pops etc & i became extremely ill, i remember lying down on the settee one day with 2 small babies crawling around (hubby was at work), I called the dr out, they said I had a virus & to drink plenty of sugary fluids so hubby comes hom with some Lechlade. I felt worse the next day, called another dr out & was told the same thing.
Then on the 3rd day my Mum & Dad knowing I was ill went armed with our shopping list, to get all our shopping, when they arrived at our house apparently my Mum came upstairs to find me in bed & i didn't know who she was......i came round in hospital, my BG was 65?, i was diagnosed as Type 1 Diabetic.
The ward sister told my hubby she'd never seen someone with a BG of that number. Apparently if I'd of been left another half an hour it may have been a very different story.
That must have been really scary! I didn’t know any BG monitor could read a result that was that high!

Only time I've had ketones in whole numbers was after I broke a kneecap a couple of years since then to add trauma to trauma they had to operate so heaped it on - hardly any wonder my body showed its displeasure! Needed to up my insulin to 3x the normal level for a while.
With regard to your knee cap fracture, how long did it take you to recover. I am getting despondent that my knee is still very stiff and swollen and is more painful now than after the surgery (ruptured patellar tendon) which was three months ago. I am doing the exercises and have been walking only a short distance but progress seems awfully slow. I am seeing the consultant on Thurs as I am worried something is not as it should be.

No idea about me, but daughter was 36 on fingerprick. My meter just read high when I checked her before going to A&E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back