What the heck is going one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I think some background testing my be in order when I can because my correction dose with backfrast did nothing. I've also been stacking on cheese maybe I cant handle protein anymore.(i hope I'm wrong about this because I like cheese).

One positive about this at least I know my body will wake me sometimes if something's wrong.

In the absence of carbs the body will turn protein into glucose. If I wanted to snack on a non-carb snack I would still have to bolus a little for the protein. Everyone is different of course, but I know several other people who also have to bolus for protein.

You can still snack on cheese but take a tiny bolus.

Interestingly, despite the fact that I do need to bolus for protein (but only because I don't eat many carbs.... if you eat enough carbs then your body won't bother to convert protein so I doubt you will have an issue @rayray119), I don't generally need to bolus for cheese and I eat rather a lot of it but not a massive amount at one go. I find that protein takes 2 hours to start releasing glucose and they reckon only 40% of it breaks down to produce glucose.

If you say that a cheddar contains about 25g/100g of protein then you would be looking at 40% of 25g which is 10g carb equivalent in 100g cheese, so if you ate 100g of cheddar which is a lot of pure cheese in one go, (with no bread or biscuits or fruit) you would need 1u on a 1:10 ratio, but if you were to inject that when you ate the cheese you would likely hypo before the cheese released it's glucose, because the fat and protein are much slower than carbs to break down.
Of course being on a pump @Pattidevans you can bolus really small amounts whereas with MDI it just wouldn't be worthwhile even thinking about it, which is why I don't..... I've just had some olives and feta and a lovely mature Red Leicester which I keep going back for another little chunk of and for me that is an injection free meal. Love it!

Interestingly, despite the fact that I do need to bolus for protein (but only because I don't eat many carbs.... if you eat enough carbs then your body won't bother to convert protein so I doubt you will have an issue @rayray119), I don't generally need to bolus for cheese and I eat rather a lot of it but not a massive amount at one go. I find that protein takes 2 hours to start releasing glucose and they reckon only 40% of it breaks down to produce glucose.

If you say that a cheddar contains about 25g/100g of protein then you would be looking at 40% of 25g which is 10g carb equivalent in 100g cheese, so if you ate 100g of cheddar which is a lot of pure cheese in one go, (with no bread or biscuits or fruit) you would need 1u on a 1:10 ratio, but if you were to inject that when you ate the cheese you would likely hypo before the cheese released it's glucose, because the fat and protein are much slower than carbs to break down.
Of course being on a pump @Pattidevans you can bolus really small amounts whereas with MDI it just wouldn't be worthwhile even thinking about it, which is why I don't..... I've just had some olives and feta and a lovely mature Red Leicester which I keep going back for another little chunk of and for me that is an injection free meal. Love it!
As mich as j like cheese don't think I could quite eat 100gs un one go.

However when I do background tests(i think there's stuff I have going on this week when might interfere.

If this is my honeymoon period ended it had to pick at time when my I was picking up more shifts at work didn't it.

However when I do background tests(i think there's stuff I have going on this week when might interfere.

If this is my honeymoon period ended it had to pick at time when my I was picking up more shifts at work didn't it.
Just to be clear it is unlikely to come to a sudden end and may be like mine where my beta cells had 3 stages of die back over but 18 months or it may take several months to just gradually fizzle out. I think it would be unusual for it to happen more suddenly than that, so be prepared for lots of basal adjustment over a period of several months and probably some ratio changes too, although mine have stayed reasonably stable thoughout and I still mostly use a 1:10 ratio. I did see an increase with correction ratios when I changed over to Fiasp particularly with BGs above 10. I can now correct at 8 because my own insulin production doesn't kick in anymore, so I can be more confident with corrections at lower levels.

Just to be clear it is unlikely to come to a sudden end and may be like mine where my beta cells had 3 stages of die back over but 18 months or it may take several months to just gradually fizzle out. I think it would be unusual for it to happen more suddenly than that, so be prepared for lots of basal adjustment over a period of several months and probably some ratio changes too, although mine have stayed reasonably stable thoughout and I still mostly use a 1:10 ratio. I did see an increase with correction ratios when I changed over to Fiasp particularly with BGs above 10. I can now correct at 8 because my own insulin production doesn't kick in anymore, so I can be more confident with corrections at lower levels.
I think it's different for everyone because I've spoken to others and some people said there's did come to sudden end. But maybe this is just one of thoss times.

Maybe it's the fact im getting over a cold as well

And had stressess going on work. Test strip battles with doctors and looking for a new house.

I think im im also going to see correcting below 10 as risky 8 just doesn't justfiry a correction for me as its almost nomal but thattts just me.

But yes I've not seen the green once so far today. Hopfully ill work out if something needs changing or its just decideing to go a bit worky before returning to mornal.

I think im im also going to see correcting below 10 as risky 8 just doesn't justfiry a correction for me as its almost nomal but thattts just me.
At less than 6 months from diagnosis there was no way I would have contemplated doing a correction at 8, but I am now very confident with it and it means that I need less insulin if I can keep levels below 10, because as mentioned my correction factor changes above 10.
I am not suggesting that you will end up correcting below 10 but it is still early days for you and the way you manage your diabetes does tend to evolve with your confidence and understanding of how your body responds and how your body's response changes with time.

At less than 6 months from diagnosis there was no way I would have contemplated doing a correction at 8, but I am now very confident with it and it means that I need less insulin if I can keep levels below 10, because as mentioned my correction factor changes above 10.
I am not suggesting that you will end up correcting below 10 but it is still early days for you and the way you manage your diabetes does tend to evolve with your confidence and understanding of how your body responds and how your body's response changes with time.
Yeah with me at the moment is just to risjmy the other day i decided not correct a 10 and hope the extra 0.1 would sort it out it did just about as it was round 8.5 two hours later.

As I said, everyone is different. I'm going back to a time when DAFNE were advising people that to check their basal they should have a protein only meal. A number of people were coming into DSF unhappy about that advice as the protein only meals were raising their bloods. There was quite a fair amount of discussion on it. Gary Scheiner covered it in his book, but I mislaid my copy when we moved. John Walsh (Using Insulin) also touches on it. You're right though, the fat in cheese will delay the rise, but I just thought @rayray119 should consider whether the snacking could be affecting her BGs.

You're also right that on a pump one can dose 0.1u insulin.

As I said, everyone is different. I'm going back to a time when DAFNE were advising people that to check their basal they should have a protein only meal. A number of people were coming into DSF unhappy about that advice as the protein only meals were raising their bloods. There was quite a fair amount of discussion on it. Gary Scheiner covered it in his book, but I mislaid my copy when we moved. John Walsh (Using Insulin) also touches on it. You're right though, the fat in cheese will delay the rise, but I just thought @rayray119 should consider whether the snacking could be affecting her BGs.

You're also right that on a pump one can dose 0.1u insulin.
It used be okay I think.

Well my before tea test was 9.8 well that's still not ideal ill take it after the rest of today

While I just discoved the proble sedms to be in the evening not actully at night though there was something thag sedmed to help when I was having theg problemm before probelly not the best way though

While I just discoved the proble sedms to be in the evening not actully at night though there was something thag sedmed to help when I was having theg problemm before probelly not the best way though
Can't understand what you are trying to say there rayray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back