What is the daily maximum sugar and carbohydrate intake?

Snacks are just a habit.

I am writing from Ireland.

It could be that once you get your blood sugar under control, you won’t feel the need to snack as much or to have large snacks. High blood sugars can cause hunger.

There are a number of obvious places where you can reduce carbs in the food you’ve listed above, eg reducing the amount of bread you have for breakfast gradually, and having us breaded fish. Were the mixed vegetable a pre-prepared frozen/tinned mix? If so, having fresh veg like broccoli instead would be better.

Personal question, but what’s your BMI? If you have any weight to lose, that will help too, as will exercise.

My meal today was as follows:

Breakfast:
82g red onion,
60g red bell pepper
67g tuna chunks in brine
20g grated Mozzarella cheese
3 eggs - scrambled
3 slice chia and wholegrain bread
olive oil
parsley - dried
paprika - ground

Snack:
106g apple - Pink Lady

Lunch:
3 eggs - sunny side up
193g avocado

Snack:
20g breaded Mozzarella stick
25g walnuts

Dinner:
79g breaded fish fillet
50g breaded fish fingers
228g mixed cooked vegetables
87g ice-cream

Snack:
28g natural peanut mix - raw
23g cashew - raw
26g pumpkin seeds - roasted
121g blueberries.

If I count well the results are:
Sugar: 74,67g
Carbohydrates: 213,66g
Hi @mrqt2d welcome to the forum

I was quite surprised at the amount of food your actually eating
although if I’m honest to myself, a few years ago I probably never stopped eating and snacking myself
especially when you are running high sugars
the body just craves more and more carb laden food

as an idea of a slightly more sensible for a T2 Diabetic ok so probably some would say not a perfect diet. but works for me,
(I was previously out of control & very obese)

not anymore

my Breakfast today was:
actually today Breakfast was Brunch (as it often is on a weekend) and was:
50g chopped strawberries & 50g chopped Blueberries, I would usually add raspberries, but didn’t have any today,
half a diced apple (not a pink lady although they taste lovely I find a Gala better for me)
served on 40g of Low sugar muesli, in a few spoonfuls of full fat Greek yogurt & Almond milk
sprinkled with a handful of a mixture of sunflower seeds & chopped walnuts sprinkled with chia seeds

a drink of daily greens & collagen drink I try to drink this every day
and to wash my meds down a tall glass of iced water

Snack
a fresh pear

whilst shopping my wife this afternoon we went into M&S
I had a small late
a fruit wholemeal scone buttered, I declined the strawberry jam, I happily watched my wife eat a slice of chocolate cake, although she did give me a bite
I actually preferred the scone (since I turned to healthier eating my taste buds have definitely changed)

Evening meal, I’ve just enjoyed
a mixed chopped salad served with fish
the salad was
4 baby minted new potatoes (sliced)
a baby cucumber (chopped)
few baby tomatoes (quartered) I find them more tasty than regular tomatoes
the other half the apple (diced) from this morning, I often do this as it keeps fresh in fridge ok
a celery stick (finely diced)
a few radishes (diced)
mixed in a tablespoon of full fat cream cheese
some salad dressing & some seeds, seasoned with salt & pepper
served with a smoked chilli flavoured salmon fillet
there were 2 filets in the pack (total weight was 135g for the two filets)
I ate one salmon filet today (the other will feed me another day)
these salon filets I bake in foil (in the air fryer)
today was baked on a bed of dill, diced celery & sliced radishes & a few sliced baby Tom’s

I am pretty full at the moment as I type this
having just had my evening meal
but was going to have a low sugar protein shake

I’ve probably drunk about 4 cups of tea
and 3 cups of white coffee (plus that late in the coffee shop)
I use semi skimmed milk in my tea & coffee and almond milk on the fruit/ cereal mix I eat for my breakfast

I always try and drink 2 litres of water a day
usually I avoid any carbonated cans of anything
although I do occasionally consume a can of sugar free monster type energy drink, but not today

I’m still taking medication but previously my HbA1c was well over 100
latest HbA1c is now 48
BMI currently 29
back when I was over 120KG my BMI was 40 😱

It could be that once you get your blood sugar under control, you won’t feel the need to snack as much or to have large snacks. High blood sugars can cause hunger.

There are a number of obvious places where you can reduce carbs in the food you’ve listed above, eg reducing the amount of bread you have for breakfast gradually, and having us breaded fish. Were the mixed vegetable a pre-prepared frozen/tinned mix? If so, having fresh veg like broccoli instead would be better.

Personal question, but what’s your BMI? If you have any weight to lose, that will help too, as will exercise.
BMI at the moment is 26,87 (183cm - 90kg - 48y - male).

Hi @mrqt2d welcome to the forum

I was quite surprised at the amount of food your actually eating
although if I’m honest to myself, a few years ago I probably never stopped eating and snacking myself
especially when you are running high sugars
the body just craves more and more carb laden food

as an idea of a slightly more sensible for a T2 Diabetic ok so probably some would say not a perfect diet. but works for me,
(I was previously out of control & very obese)

not anymore

my Breakfast today was:
actually today Breakfast was Brunch (as it often is on a weekend) and was:
50g chopped strawberries & 50g chopped Blueberries, I would usually add raspberries, but didn’t have any today,
half a diced apple (not a pink lady although they taste lovely I find a Gala better for me)
served on 40g of Low sugar muesli, in a few spoonfuls of full fat Greek yogurt & Almond milk
sprinkled with a handful of a mixture of sunflower seeds & chopped walnuts sprinkled with chia seeds

a drink of daily greens & collagen drink I try to drink this every day
and to wash my meds down a tall glass of iced water

Snack
a fresh pear

whilst shopping my wife this afternoon we went into M&S
I had a small late
a fruit wholemeal scone buttered, I declined the strawberry jam, I happily watched my wife eat a slice of chocolate cake, although she did give me a bite
I actually preferred the scone (since I turned to healthier eating my taste buds have definitely changed)

Evening meal, I’ve just enjoyed
a mixed chopped salad served with fish
the salad was
4 baby minted new potatoes (sliced)
a baby cucumber (chopped)
few baby tomatoes (quartered) I find them more tasty than regular tomatoes
the other half the apple (diced) from this morning, I often do this as it keeps fresh in fridge ok
a celery stick (finely diced)
a few radishes (diced)
mixed in a tablespoon of full fat cream cheese
some salad dressing & some seeds, seasoned with salt & pepper
served with a smoked chilli flavoured salmon fillet
there were 2 filets in the pack (total weight was 135g for the two filets)
I ate one salmon filet today (the other will feed me another day)
these salon filets I bake in foil (in the air fryer)
today was baked on a bed of dill, diced celery & sliced radishes & a few sliced baby Tom’s

I am pretty full at the moment as I type this
having just had my evening meal
but was going to have a low sugar protein shake

I’ve probably drunk about 4 cups of tea
and 3 cups of white coffee (plus that late in the coffee shop)
I use semi skimmed milk in my tea & coffee and almond milk on the fruit/ cereal mix I eat for my breakfast

I always try and drink 2 litres of water a day
usually I avoid any carbonated cans of anything
although I do occasionally consume a can of sugar free monster type energy drink, but not today

I’m still taking medication but previously my HbA1c was well over 100
latest HbA1c is now 48
BMI currently 29
back when I was over 120KG my BMI was 40 😱
Hi @goodybags,

Thanks for Your answer.

I know I need to change my lifestyle, but it's not so easy to do.

I work 4 days a week, daily 12-hour shift, from 11:30 to 23:30. I try to reorganize my days. I plan to wake up at 08:00, have breakfast at 09:00, lunch at 14:00 or 15:00, and dinner at 19:00 or 20:00. After my shift, I can go to sleep around 01:00.

Can I make my usual plea not to try to be too precise when referring to carbohydrate, sugar and fibre in food stuffs?

Carbohydrate is a portmanteau term and "sugar" and "fibre" are both carbohydrates. As far as I can make out sugars are carbohydrates that are absorbed easily, fibre is carbohydrate that is absorbed with difficulty if at all and anything that does not fit into those categories is called carbohydrate.

What this means is that the boundaries between sugar, carbohydrate and fibre are very fuzzy. It also means that where those boundaries are is dependent on an individual's biosystem. This not only will vary between individuals but it will not be consistent for any given individual.

So @mrqt2d I would present your results as sugar around 25g and carbohydrate around 150g. Quite how your body will react to those levels will depend on many factors not under your control and to draw conclusions from the effect of carbohydrate you need quite large changes in carbohydrate intake.

Can I make my usual plea not to try to be too precise when referring to carbohydrate, sugar and fibre in food stuffs?

Carbohydrate is a portmanteau term and "sugar" and "fibre" are both carbohydrates. As far as I can make out sugars are carbohydrates that are absorbed easily, fibre is carbohydrate that is absorbed with difficulty if at all and anything that does not fit into those categories is called carbohydrate.

What this means is that the boundaries between sugar, carbohydrate and fibre are very fuzzy. It also means that where those boundaries are is dependent on an individual's biosystem. This not only will vary between individuals but it will not be consistent for any given individual.

So @mrqt2d I would present your results as sugar around 25g and carbohydrate around 150g. Quite how your body will react to those levels will depend on many factors not under your control and to draw conclusions from the effect of carbohydrate you need quite large changes in carbohydrate intake.
Thanks for Your answer @Docb.

The results of today's intake:

Sugar: 23,42g
Carbohydrates: 149,30g

Hope the reduction in your carbohydrate intake begins to have a positive impact on your blood glucose levels @mrqt2d

The results of today's intake:

Sugar: 23,42g
Carbohydrates: 149,30g
I'm still not clear if your numbers are 149g carbs of which 23g is sugar or 149g carb plus 23g sugar. Making the total carb around 173g which is really the relevant number.

I rather agree with @Leadinglights. When thinking about what you eat to try and control blood glucose it is much more sensible to bundle in all digestible carbohydrate (sugar plus carbohydrate) and use that number to make choices.

The current trend to demonise "sugar" might have benefits in some areas but is, in my opinion, not helpful when it comes to using dietary choices to manage high glucose levels.

Back