What is remission/reversal of type 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the spike is sooner than 2 hours... I thought the point of 2 hour post meal readings was to see how quickly your insulin brings it back down. Hence the oral glucose tolerance test with 75g of glucose and nothing to slow absorption

Fat can have a significant impact on the spike - how high it will go and how long it will last, so a very fatty meal might only bring a rise of X, but that rise could last much longer than "usual", thereby the net period of raised blood glucose is greater.

The OGTT is a blunt instrument in terms of performance, and quite unpleasant to undergo. I passed my home OGTT a few years ago, testing every 15 minutes for the duration of the test. Interesting, but not something I'm in a massive hurry to repeat.

This has been a really interesting thread. I feel that it depends on where you are coming from. For example, my latest HbA1c was 42 which was described by my diabetes nurse as Glucose Intolerant. I was tlold that had the reading been 40 it would have been considered diabetes reversal. What I felt was interesting is my older brother's HbA1c was also 42 he was called pre-diabetic and he was put on a course to understand and correct the situation. I guess that because I already have the diabetes diagnosis and have been reducing my BG I am referred to as Glucose Intolerant rather than pre-diabetic. My brother on the other hand has increased his BG and therefore is labelled pre-diabetic.
Mike
That’s a really interesting point… there seems to be a lot of ambiguity and different interpretations. Is your situation all diet and exercise controlled now, rather than with meds? That’s what I want to strive for, but as I’m just starting out on the ‘journey’, I imagine I’ll have some way to go!!

I take Metformin but have altered my diet to reduce carbs, I still need to up my excercise. I anticipate the doctors may at some point look to reduce the drugs but as they seem to be doing the job right now I am reluctant to consider it. I think I have been very lucky that my diabetes seems to have been easier to control than many but hope that others anxiety may be eased a bit to see that it can be sorted. I realise that having been considered diabetic, that I have the propensity to go that way again and will never be completely free of it. Just need to be careful from now on.
Mike

I was thinking about the diabetic life style and diet, low carb, lots of veg and protein, and regardless of whether you are diabetic or not, isnt that the healthier option for everyone?

I take Metformin but have altered my diet to reduce carbs, I still need to up my excercise. I anticipate the doctors may at some point look to reduce the drugs but as they seem to be doing the job right now I am reluctant to consider it. I think I have been very lucky that my diabetes seems to have been easier to control than many but hope that others anxiety may be eased a bit to see that it can be sorted. I realise that having been considered diabetic, that I have the propensity to go that way again and will never be completely free of it. Just need to be careful from now on.
Mike
I think I’m just starting out on the journey that you’ve been on! I think Metformin looms ahead for me and I’m a little apprehensive given what I’ve read, so it’s good to read your experience. As you say, careful moderation is probably the key to success.

I was thinking about the diabetic life style and diet, low carb, lots of veg and protein, and regardless of whether you are diabetic or not, isnt that the healthier option for everyone?
That’s so true @Jenny65, I just wish I’d thought that before becoming diabetic. Still, onwards and upwards!

I was lucky with Metformin, it didn't cause me to many problems. I was started on 500mg twice a day that was raised to 2 x 500mg twice a day. I do get the occaisional "Metformin Day" when the world falls out of my rear end but mainly it has caused me no problems. There is a slow release version that doesn't seem to have such side effects and I have a friend who has taken these with no problems. It's very daunting to start off with but there is loads of advice on this forum so if you have any questions about anything just post a question, someone here will know the answer.
Mike

It depends.
If you do cut carbs from the generally accepted levels, you usually need to increase protein or fats beyond the accepted levels, so it's not entirely black and white.
My preference was to keep the generally accepted ratio on the eatwell plate, and go for healthy options of them.

I like to think this too jenny, just when I speak to doctors, consultants and DN and you talk about low carb they usually of the opinion it’s not good. I’m sat there thinking I’m a diet controlled diabetic … what do you people want from me :(

I like to think this too jenny, just when I speak to doctors, consultants and DN and you talk about low carb they usually of the opinion it’s not good. I’m sat there thinking I’m a diet controlled diabetic … what do you people want from me :(
Just shows how little doctors and nurses know about diet and nutrition unfortunately.
It's also rather sad and disturbing that some nutritionists and dieticians are in the same boat!

That’s so true @Jenny65, I just wish I’d thought that before becoming diabetic. Still, onwards and upwards!
No reason not to put it into action now though.

And downwards in HbA1c terms I trust.

I suspect it is far too close to an ideal situation for the powers that be to contemplate.
On my present diet with the normal intake being under 40 gm of carbs a day from veges and a little fruit I feel so much better than when eating an acceptably 'healthy' diet both mentally and physically. I suspect that fats are just as much a part of it - saturated fats are demonized, but they are essential components of our nervous system and brain, they are part of every cell membrane and are used as the raw materials for hormones and other substances essential for well being.

No reason not to put it into action now though.

And downwards in HbA1c terms I trust.
Desperately hope I can lower the HbA1c.

For an ordinary standard type 2 reducing the carbs results in a consistent and maintained reduction in blood glucose and consequently Hba1c after diagnosis and is pretty much a confirmation of the type,
Usually there is weightloss and a return of vitality thrown in for good measure along with the reduction in symptoms.

Cut carbs down enough and there's no reason why it shouldn't work for you.. it has for thousands of others.

It depends.
If you do cut carbs from the generally accepted levels, you usually need to increase protein or fats beyond the accepted levels, so it's not entirely black and white.
My preference was to keep the generally accepted ratio on the eatwell plate, and go for healthy options of them.
Accepted levels? How do those get defined?

That’s really sad.

I see an Endo relating to my thyroid, but he is also heavily involved with diabetes. He is very supportive of low carb, but says few “can stick it”.

Fat can have a significant impact on the spike - how high it will go and how long it will last, so a very fatty meal might only bring a rise of X, but that rise could last much longer than "usual", thereby the net period of raised blood glucose is greater.

The OGTT is a blunt instrument in terms of performance, and quite unpleasant to undergo. I passed my home OGTT a few years ago, testing every 15 minutes for the duration of the test. Interesting, but not something I'm in a massive hurry to repeat.
My last OGTT was at 36 weeks gestation with my second child. I also needed a scan for breech check. The midwife running the Fetal Medicine Unit didn't have much else to do so she took her time once she'd quickly established that baby was the right way up (head down) to show me lots of detail. Drinking the drink was horrible, but the midwife made the overall experience nice. The previous one at 28 weeks in a different hospital was much more boring

My daughter is 29 weeks pregnant. She’s just done a gtt, she only had to do it because I’m her mum, felt kinda guilty. Her result was 5.2 after one hour thankfully . Her baby is currently breech, I had 3 feet first breech apparently that runs in families also. She also has placental insufficiency same as I did so it’s sort of stressful time. Probably why I’m typing this at 4am with no idea if it’s got anything to do with the thread or not lol

My daughter is 29 weeks pregnant. She’s just done a gtt, she only had to do it because I’m her mum, felt kinda guilty. Her result was 5.2 after one hour thankfully . Her baby is currently breech, I had 3 feet first breech apparently that runs in families also. She also has placental insufficiency same as I did so it’s sort of stressful time. Probably why I’m typing this at 4am with no idea if it’s got anything to do with the thread or not lol
At 29 weeks there is still time for her baby to turn even without external cephalic version, although I'm not sure if they'll want to do ECV with placental insufficiency. As there's family history of babies remaining breech she may want to start preparing herself for the possibility of a planned c section. Hospitals have been generally recommending c section for breech for long enough now that there are very few midwives with experience of a natural breech birth. I hope the placenta keeps going long enough for her to get to a gestation whereby baby doesn't need neonatal unit care ::hugs::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back