What I ate today - please join and share your days food :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I keep looking around for ideas for meal planning and although there are plenty of cookbooks I would love to know what 'real' people thought of the meals they make, taste, filling, cost and whether a reaction in sugar occured.

I will share my meals for today here

Breakfast
Benecol reduce cholesterol no added sugar shot
Porridge with sweetner and Berries
1 litre of water
1 coffee with semi skimmed milk

Lunch
4 ryvitas with red onion and thinly sliced ham
low fat yoghurt
1 litre of water

Dinner will be
Cauliflower, carrots, brocolli
Chicken breasts with Lime and Ginger

More water

Snacks - handful of almonds, cherries or strawberries

My diet is quite boring so any low fat, low sugar ideas very welcome (especially if you have photos)

Attachments

• porridge.jpg
    porridge.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3
I keep looking around for ideas for meal planning and although there are plenty of cookbooks I would love to know what 'real' people thought of the meals they make, taste, filling, cost and whether a reaction in sugar occured.

I will share my meals for today here

Breakfast
Benecol reduce cholesterol no added sugar shot
Porridge with sweetner and Berries
1 litre of water
1 coffee with semi skimmed milk

Lunch
4 ryvitas with red onion and thinly sliced ham
low fat yoghurt
1 litre of water

Dinner will be
Cauliflower, carrots, brocolli
Chicken breasts with Lime and Ginger

More water

Snacks - handful of almonds, cherries or strawberries

My diet is quite boring so any low fat, low sugar ideas very welcome (especially if you have photos)
There is a thread What did you eat Yesterday in the food/recipes forum but people seem to have stopped posting in there.
There was sometimes a bit of confusion as people do have varying amount of carbs depending on whether they are Type 1, Type2 and what medications they take or if just dietary managed and also what particular approach they are takings Low carb, low calorie or whatever. But it is still useful so you get an idea but just bear in mind that variation.

I am dietary managed no meds and yesterday I had for breakfast full fat Greek yoghurt with berries and 15g low sugar granola, lunch, 2 crispbread, pate, cheese, tomato, pickled onions, beetroot, red pepper, nectarine, dinner lightly dusted fish fillet, green beans, mangetout, carrots, half slice bread, sugar free jelly with berries and cream. 1 square dark chocolate, tea/coffee with semi skimmed milk. I try to keep to 70g carb per day.
Breakfast is usually as above or egg, bacon and mushrooms or tomato or scrambled egg and smoked salmon or cheese on toast with poached egg.
Lunch pretty similar each day cooked meat, cheese, avocado, salad items and half apple, pear or satsuma.
Dinner meat, fish, chilli, curry, omelette, with a variety of veg or salad, Kvarg deserts or high protein yoghurt, berries and cream, rhubarb sometimes fruit crumble with the topping made from almond flour, low sugar granola, seeds, butter and a bit of erythritol sweetener.
This sort of thing has become my new normal.

There is a thread What did you eat Yesterday in the food/recipes forum but people seem to have stopped posting in there.
There was sometimes a bit of confusion as people do have varying amount of carbs depending on whether they are Type 1, Type2 and what medications they take or if just dietary managed and also what particular approach they are takings Low carb, low calorie or whatever. But it is still useful so you get an idea but just bear in mind that variation.

I am dietary managed no meds and yesterday I had for breakfast full fat Greek yoghurt with berries and 15g low sugar granola, lunch, 2 crispbread, pate, cheese, tomato, pickled onions, beetroot, red pepper, nectarine, dinner lightly dusted fish fillet, green beans, mangetout, carrots, half slice bread, sugar free jelly with berries and cream. 1 square dark chocolate, tea/coffee with semi skimmed milk. I try to keep to 70g carb per day.
Breakfast is usually as above or egg, bacon and mushrooms or tomato or scrambled egg and smoked salmon or cheese on toast with poached egg.
Lunch pretty similar each day cooked meat, cheese, avocado, salad items and half apple, pear or satsuma.
Dinner meat, fish, chilli, curry, omelette, with a variety of veg or salad, Kvarg deserts or high protein yoghurt, berries and cream, rhubarb sometimes fruit crumble with the topping made from almond flour, low sugar granola, seeds, butter and a bit of erythritol sweetener.
This sort of thing has become my new normal.
Thanks for sharing. Your diet looks a lot more interesting than mine. My downfall was cheese and I havent included it in my plan so far but am considering the 50% reduced fat soft cheese to have with peppers and cucumber. I have to watch my fat due to really high cholesterol, the colours on supermarket packaging help to an extent but can fool you with the portion size, I got caught out with the soup thinking 1/2 of it was 89 cals so could have the whole lot, only it was 100g was 89 cals and there were 600 in the pot so I had just under 500 cals in soup alone!

I was just thinking back to a week ago. I never crave sweet things, I am a savoury person so would select a sausage roll over a chocolate everytime but last week at 11pm I was craving chocolate, I looked online and considered a Creams delivery but instead bought 4 flakes (not huge ones) but medium sized from my local late night shop and ate every one of them myself in about 30 minutes! I found the wrappers just now and it made me realise bit by bit that some of my behaviour recently has been odd, like waking at 3am feeling like I needed to eat something as I was so hungry, rushing to the kitchen and selecting things like a whole trifle, or a cheese and salad cream sandwich! The clues were all there I just slept walked my way through to this didnt I?

is reduced fat cheese allowed in moderation on a low cholesterol diet or is it best to avoid do you think?

Thanks for sharing. Your diet looks a lot more interesting than mine. My downfall was cheese and I havent included it in my plan so far but am considering the 50% reduced fat soft cheese to have with peppers and cucumber. I have to watch my fat due to really high cholesterol, the colours on supermarket packaging help to an extent but can fool you with the portion size, I got caught out with the soup thinking 1/2 of it was 89 cals so could have the whole lot, only it was 100g was 89 cals and there were 600 in the pot so I had just under 500 cals in soup alone!

I was just thinking back to a week ago. I never crave sweet things, I am a savoury person so would select a sausage roll over a chocolate everytime but last week at 11pm I was craving chocolate, I looked online and considered a Creams delivery but instead bought 4 flakes (not huge ones) but medium sized from my local late night shop and ate every one of them myself in about 30 minutes! I found the wrappers just now and it made me realise bit by bit that some of my behaviour recently has been odd, like waking at 3am feeling like I needed to eat something as I was so hungry, rushing to the kitchen and selecting things like a whole trifle, or a cheese and salad cream sandwich! The clues were all there I just slept walked my way through to this didnt I?

is reduced fat cheese allowed in moderation on a low cholesterol diet or is it best to avoid do you think?
I do take a low dose of statin and that seems to keep my cholesterol at a OK level, but by having full fat it helps to stop your feeling hungry, there is evidence that it is the carbs that increase cholesterol not fats but there are many theories and people do have to do their own research and make their own minds up.
I don't pay much attention to calories just carbs. When I started with the low carb approach I lost 15kg and my HbA1C went down from 50mmol/mol to 42mmol/mol in 3 months.
We get the ALDI Moser Roth dark chocolate and have 1 square as our weekend treat.
If you like savoury then Nuts are good snacks.

I do take a low dose of statin and that seems to keep my cholesterol at a OK level, but by having full fat it helps to stop your feeling hungry, there is evidence that it is the carbs that increase cholesterol not fats but there are many theories and people do have to do their own research and make their own minds up.
I don't pay much attention to calories just carbs. When I started with the low carb approach I lost 15kg and my HbA1C went down from 50mmol/mol to 42mmol/mol in 3 months.
We get the ALDI Moser Roth dark chocolate and have 1 square as our weekend treat.
Yes, I noticed nuts are good, I have a few almonds as a snack and am enjoying having them 🙂

I will ask at the Lipid clinic, when I get my first appointment to see whether everything has to be low fat or if low carb will do the same thing. I am not going to eat loads of fat but it would be nice to know I can cook with some, I made something yesterday using 1cal lite cooking oil spray and the food stuck to the pan, if I could have used a little olive oil it probably wouldnt have stuck to the pan and burnt :( It was kidney beans, chicken, spring onions. brown rice and jerk chicken seasoning, but I only ate 2 mouthfulls as so burnt! One way to lose weight, just burn it so it tastes foul 🙂

Yes, I noticed nuts are good, I have a few almonds as a snack and am enjoying having them 🙂

I will ask at the Lipid clinic, when I get my first appointment to see whether everything has to be low fat or if low carb will do the same thing. I am not going to eat loads of fat but it would be nice to know I can cook with some, I made something yesterday using 1cal lite cooking oil spray and the food stuck to the pan, if I could have used a little olive oil it probably wouldnt have stuck to the pan and burnt :( It was kidney beans, chicken, spring onions. brown rice and jerk chicken seasoning, but I only ate 2 mouthfulls as so burnt! One way to lose weight, just burn it so it tastes foul 🙂
Might have been just as well as the beans and the rice would have made it high carbs, one or the other would have been better. But it does all come down to portion size, you can work out the carbs you have in that portion and see.

I love spaghetti Bolognese so if you have a recipe for low fat, low sugar Bolognese (happy to have the meat and sauce with veg and not pasta) that would make me so happy 🙂

I love spaghetti Bolognese so if you have a recipe for low fat, low sugar Bolognese (happy to have the meat and sauce with veg and not pasta) that would make me so happy 🙂
I use black bean or edamame bean pasta if I have pasta as it is low carb.
The bolognaise bit is just mince, onions, celery, peppers, well any veg really, tomato puree, herbs, dash red wine, seasoning black pepper mainly.

All the studies, all the evidence shows saturated fats increase cholesterol.
What links show it is carbs that increase bad cholesterol?
I'm interested as I have gone low fat, and it keeps mine down?

CarbsfibreSugarSat Fatcal
BREAKFAST
Porridge made with semi skimmed milk
36​
3.7​
8.5​
3.4​
258​
Strawberrys - 6
7.7​
2​
4.9​
0.3​
32​
Benecol drink to lower cholesterol
2.9​
0​
2.7​
0.1​
32​
LUNCH
satay chickpea curry and endame beans
58.9​
11.8​
15.8​
4.1​
515​
DINNER
1/4 Pack of Rainbow salad (basically pretty leaves)
0​
2.6​
0​
20​
beetroot
6.3​
6.3​
0.1​
43​
turkey
5.5​
4.2​
0.4​
115​
SNACKS
pear
15​
3.1​
10​
0​
57​
cashew nuts
9​
1​
3​
157​
TOTALS
141.3​
21.6​
55​
11.4​
1229​
Maximum allowed
225​
25​
30​
1200​
83.7 under​
30 over!
18.6 under​
9 over

I just wonder why you are saying your maximum allowed carbs is as much as 225g as the suggested amount of carbs to reduce blood glucose is no more than 130g per day. I would suggest that a blood glucose monitor would be a useful tool to inform you if you are able to tolerate that amount of carbs, especially the breakfast when you are having 46g carb for that one meal but very little protein. The chickpea satay seems quite low in carb at 12g so that is good, dinner looks good as well, it would be breakfast that might be pushing up your level and then you start the day at a higher level that you really want.

I can see what you are saying but a week ago I was smoking 10 cigarettes a day, eating 4 slices of thickly buttered toast with marmalade with sweet tea for breakfast or a full fry up at weekends, lunch would be cheese and salad cream sandwiches, a couple of rounds, crisps, chocolate bars, dinner I had got into the habit of ordering take aways, ranging from Roasts, to burgers and sometimes cream deliveries of desert, I dont really drink but I did eat loads of rubbish without any fruit or veg. I may give up my porridge for something else but I had it as it lowers cholesterol and the doctor recommended it as a good breakfast. I was told not to have cereal, bread or bacon so that leaves eggs but not sure what I can have them with to make them more of a normal breakfast 🙂

I just wonder why you are saying your maximum allowed carbs is as much as 225g as the suggested amount of carbs to reduce blood glucose is no more than 130g per day. I would suggest that a blood glucose monitor would be a useful tool to inform you if you are able to tolerate that amount of carbs, especially the breakfast when you are having 46g carb for that one meal but very little protein. The chickpea satay seems quite low in carb at 12g so that is good, dinner looks good as well, it would be breakfast that might be pushing up your level and then you start the day at a higher level that you really want.
I googled carb allowance for diabetes and this came up

On average, people with diabetes should aim to get about half of their calories from carbs. That means if you normally eat about 1,800 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight, about 800 to 900 calories can come from carbs. At 4 calories per gram, that's 200–225 carb grams a day.

I can see what you are saying but a week ago I was smoking 10 cigarettes a day, eating 4 slices of thickly buttered toast with marmalade with sweet tea for breakfast or a full fry up at weekends, lunch would be cheese and salad cream sandwiches, a couple of rounds, crisps, chocolate bars, dinner I had got into the habit of ordering take aways, ranging from Roasts, to burgers and sometimes cream deliveries of desert, I dont really drink but I did eat loads of rubbish without any fruit or veg. I may give up my porridge for something else but I had it as it lowers cholesterol and the doctor recommended it as a good breakfast. I was told not to have cereal, bread or bacon so that leaves eggs but not sure what I can have them with to make them more of a normal breakfast 🙂
Perhaps a gradual reduction in carbs is something to look at over the next few weeks. To that end getting a blood glucose monitor would help you.

Carb not car allowance (although that would be great I could do with a nice new car!)

I googled carb allowance for diabetes and this came up

On average, people with diabetes should aim to get about half of their calories from carbs. That means if you normally eat about 1,800 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight, about 800 to 900 calories can come from carbs. At 4 calories per gram, that's 200–225 carb grams a day.
I suppose that might work if you are going for low calorie rather than low carb which is usually less than 130g per day.

What counts as low-carb?
Low-carb is a flexible way of eating that allows you as an individual to choose a level of carbohydrate that works well for your diabetes and lifestyle.

A research study in 2008 [7] used the following brackets to categorise daily carbohydrate intake:

Moderate carbohydrate: 130 to 225g of carbs
Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs
Very-low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs
Generally speaking, the lower your carbohydrate intake, the more likely you are to lose weight and the lower sugar levels you are likely to have.

It’s important you choose a level of carbohydrate that works well for you.

Oh thats good, thanks for that, I had 141 carbs today but normally it is closer to 130 or less as I dont eat pears normally (and wont again🙂 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back