What has the forum ever done for us?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I lurk more than I post, but I love this forum for many of the reasons previously mentioned. It is like a non-judgemental friend. I may go away for a while and then come back - but it is always here, and always welcoming.

Well, I lurk more than I post, but I love this forum for many of the reasons previously mentioned. It is like a non-judgemental friend. I may go away for a while and then come back - but it is always here, and always welcoming.
Lovely to see you posting again @Kopiert

Hope you are keeping well 🙂

Hello Everyone,

I've had @Jessica DUK and @Thomas DUK private message everyone who have responded to list about if we could use your quotes to promote the forum. Could everyone please check their private messages? We would need people to fill out the consent forms. Please get in touch if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

Josh DUK

Last edited:
My laptop opens at DUcK so no choice but to go here and enter my bg first thing if I can, almost keeps me accountable, kind of. Well, at least I think about it. I tell my sisters about it a lot, "The DUcKs say this... " The DUcKs say that..." 🙂

View attachment 25354

“Well… there’s the support?”
”Well yes, of course there’s the support! That goes without saying, the support. But apart from the support, the suggestions, the encouragement, the sources of information, book recommendations, food tips, the camaraderie, the sense of belonging and shared struggle - what has the forum ever done for us?”

Diabetes UK is interested in what positive impact the forum has on its members.

So whether you‘ve just joined this week or have been a regular member for more than a decade, what benefits have you found from being a member here?
The forum has been invaluable for me. I was diagnosed in January and saw my GP and practice nurse. GP gave me the diagnosis, prescribed Metformin and referred me to the nurse. She, in turn, suggested a “ balanced diet” and come back in 3 months. That was it.
I hated the side effects of Metformin and stopped taking it. I found this site, started reading, talking and listening to all the wonderful advice and support , from members and the support line.
I got a monitor. ( Nurse said I didn’t need one) and started testing and experimenting with food.
Four months later, my HbA1c results shows I have come down from 56 to 45!
At the beginning, I was overwhelmed and discouraged. I was not given the tools and information I needed from the professionals who are supposed to be the experts. Without this forum, I would be on medication, feeling sick and discouraged. From here, I got the courage and info to ditch the meds and try the diet and exercise route. Without you, I would not even have known it was an option.
I feel Diabetes UK and the forum in particular, gave me my life back. I am so grateful.
Thank you all.

Last edited:
You got it in one. You need to be able to see what foods do to you. Ie you needed a test meter. I don't understand the 'professionals' surely seeing what you can tolerate (or not) is key to returning to and keeping you well and fit. And it's a darn lot cheaper for the NHS than someone becomming increasingly ill and needing more and more NHS resources and medications.

So so short sighted some doctors.

Well, well done and keep going. It's your body and life so it's good to see you have taken control and rsponsibility for it.

I feel Diabetes UK and the forum in particular, gave me my life back. I am so grateful.

Awwww thanks @Ukkate1 - so pleased the forum was able to give you some encouragement and a few practical pointers from folks who are a few steps down the path ahead of you.

But give yourself proper credit too - it was you that had to do the hard work of putting the ideas into practice 🙂

This forum is excellent it gives advice and can be a great help to people in bad situations , people on here know about diabetes because they live with it , some of the called professionals need to take note , people are human beings first and foremost some of the doctors and nurses need to realise that and not rely too much on books and computers

Hi , it's some time since I visited the site and unfortunately my diabetes nutrition has suffered in the last three months or so.

I have suffered badly from back issues for many years and for the last couple of years have visited an osteopath who has been my life saver.However , issues while abroad and my back problems flared up so badly I could not get out of bed with out the help of Mrs Pace.

Back in UK tried to get an appointment with my doctor for various issues was similar to pushing water up hill , no chance I was informed , so back to my life saver. I can now get out of bed unaided but I still suffer discomfort sleeping but can sit in my chair , drive my car with no pain. Walking is another issue but I now manage upto 8,000 steps with discomfort but I don't have spinal pains.

I visited a friend of mine who fell over twice at his home and put in a rest home but his condition deterated quickly in that you ask him a question and wait a considerable time for an answer , but it is the correct answer.

He can walk but won't , looks like a hippy from the 1960s , does recognise people but a shell of his past.

Strange but his signature is superb.

His problems have been a real wake up call for me / I am not looking for any sympathy as my Type 2 problems are insignificant in comparison to other members on the site.

I am now back with all guns firing ( may not be a good description) but now on the straight and narrow.

Such a shame that a friend of mine who is in a bad place was the catalyst to my recovery.

It has been a couple of weeks since I have been here. This is because I haven’t really had time to spend online. My husband suffered a stroke…albeit not a huge one….but it has impacted our lives quite a bit with hospital appointments and dealing with the restrictions he is having to deal with at home.
So…I know that really that has nothing to do with this site but being pre diabetic myself it has had an effect on the fact that to some extent I have neglected my own health regime.
I am trying now to get back into my regime as I know I have to stay healthy. Telling myself that a cup of coffee for my lunch will do is not okay.
I know that if life gives you lemons you make lemonade and I am trying to do that at the moment. I hate to sound a moaning Minnie and am determined to do better. Thank you for this site and the help and support that it provides.

What a shock.

Looking after yourself so that you can do the best for your husband is important.

I wish you all the best

It has been a couple of weeks since I have been here. This is because I haven’t really had time to spend online. My husband suffered a stroke…albeit not a huge one….but it has impacted our lives quite a bit with hospital appointments and dealing with the restrictions he is having to deal with at home.
So…I know that really that has nothing to do with this site but being pre diabetic myself it has had an effect on the fact that to some extent I have neglected my own health regime.
I am trying now to get back into my regime as I know I have to stay healthy. Telling myself that a cup of coffee for my lunch will do is not okay.
I know that if life gives you lemons you make lemonade and I am trying to do that at the moment. I hate to sound a moaning Minnie and am determined to do better. Thank you for this site and the help and support that it provides.
Sorry to hear about your husband and hope he is on the road to recovery. I have found people here very supportive even if it is not directly diabetes related as in reality anything affecting your life can impact on your ability to manage your condition.
Ideas from others can help put perspective on the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back