What do you do with your test strips and tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems very odd, I work with glass and have plenty of pieces just as sharp as a lancet and they go into general waste.
years ago when I was at work we had glass bins as we used a lot of lab glassware. Not sure what happened to the broken glass then. More recently I've been told to wrap up broken glass and put it in the rubbish bin fpr general rubbish (black bin here). Cassette from Accu-Check meter has been going into the sharps yellow bin, probably wrong. I did that as it had blood on it. When using test strips, into medical waste yellow sacks, collected by local council. Weekly collection as my Husband has double incontinence.

years ago when I was at work we had glass bins as we used a lot of lab glassware. Not sure what happened to the broken glass then. More recently I've been told to wrap up broken glass and put it in the rubbish bin fpr general rubbish (black bin here). Cassette from Accu-Check meter has been going into the sharps yellow bin, probably wrong. I did that as it had blood on it. When using test strips, into medical waste yellow sacks, collected by local council. Weekly collection as my Husband has double incontinence.
Although we collected the lab glass in separate bins for safety it could not be recycled so it all just had to be tipped into the general rubbish skips.
We also used to have clinical waste, anything with blood, bacteria, medigloves, autoclaved used petri dishes had to go in there and then we had the stupid situation that everything that had been in the lab like the glove boxes, tissue boxes, consumable boxes still had to go in clinical waste rather than in recycling.
However looking at our local regulations for domestic disposal even things like catheter bags and associated accoutrements goes in general waste.
I just wish there was some consistency throughout the country.

I put the tubs into our plastic recycling, and like @barrym my used test strips in general waste. My lancets go into a sharps bin and when it's full I'll contact our local authority to get it collected and replaced. Some put used lancets in general waste but that's against Diabetes UK, NHS and WHO advice.
I do the same only I have to order a new bin with the doctor's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back