What do you do with your test strips and tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never ever seen a brand of test strips with dessicant in the lid of the tub. (only been using glucometers for the past 40+ years, not the full 52 cos they hadn't been released for home use in the early 1970s)

Believe me they have always had them in lid, like yourself been diagnosed since before bg strips became widely available.

Believe me they have always had them in lid, like yourself been diagnosed since before bg strips became widely available.
So, must be actually incorporated inside the white plastic itself, so not at all visible to the naked eye. Fancy them not having to tell you.

I've never ever seen a brand of test strips with dessicant in the lid of the tub. (only been using glucometers for the past 40+ years, not the full 52 cos they hadn't been released for home use in the early 1970s)

Weirdly I thought it was Roche / Accuchek tubs that I had used which had the deeper top part with a papery bit at the bottom?

Slightly off topic but have been wondering it for ages

The people that use the Zoe sensor, what do they do to dispose of the applicator part containing the needle? Surely they aren’t all getting a 5L sharps box each. And it didn’t fit in a 1L one, not that I can imagine them getting those either.

Couldn’t find the Expert type strips, but this Accuchek pot lid is deep in the way I remember. In the cavity of the lid are absorbent desiccant granules of some sort afaik.

Next XT strip pots have a hinged lid which is only as thick as the walls of the tub.

1708984576450.jpeg

Slightly off topic but have been wondering it for ages

The people that use the Zoe sensor, what do they do to dispose of the applicator part containing the needle? Surely they aren’t all getting a 5L sharps box each. And it didn’t fit in a 1L one, not that I can imagine them getting those either.
Lucy, many Type 1s just put the applicator in household waste, under the reasoning that the needle is retracted and therefore not a risk. Personally I don't agree with this and I dismantle the applicators, remove the needle and put it in my 1Litre Sharpsafe and then I am collecting all the hard plastic bits and the metal springs which will eventually go to the tip in the hope that they can be recycled. A 7 litre Sharpsafe was put on my repeat prescription list when I was prescribed Libre but I have never requested one. I very much doubt Zoe are providing large Sharpsafe bins.... but I am sure you also think the same, hence your post.

Lucy, many Type 1s just put the applicator in household waste, under the reasoning that the needle is retracted and therefore not a risk.
They shouldn’t though, it isn’t allowed so surely Zoe can’t be telling them to put it in the bin. Abbot say

Used or unused Sensor packaging can go in general waste.

Once the FreeStyle Libre sensor has been placed on the arm, the used applicator (which contains a needle) and the lid can be screwed back together and can be placed in a yellow biohazard bag or sharps box.

The used sensors are not sharps, The used sensor should be removed and wiped down with disinfectant, and then disposed of as electrical waste (the same as a battery).

So, must be actually incorporated inside the white plastic itself, so not at all visible to the naked eye. Fancy them not having to tell you.
Just goes to show you learn something new each day!
No reason why they would need to tell you they include a desiccant in the pot lid. I believe vitamin supplements and..... just checked my Lift tube and yes, they also have desiccant in the lid. It is quite common practice for anything which might degrade as a result of atmospheric moisture.

My favourite was the seahorse made out of the outer plastic cases of needles.

My favourite was the seahorse made out of the outer plastic cases of needles.
Yes, that was superb! 🙂 Here it is again 🙂 Lovingly constructed by our dear friend @AlisonM
heart2.gif

Lots more on the Diabotics! page :D

SeaDragonBot003.jpg

Test strip pots used for weights on replaced threads on my weaving loom.
It was film canisters before, but they have gone.
These are great as you can adjust the number of washers in each pot to match the weight needed.

With my new test kit I no longer have pots. What next.
IMG_2835.jpeg

I can't believe you do this too!! And yes, head to toe fits best but also front to back.

Do you also make sure to put a nice flavoured one like a black or red, in with a green one?? Hypos are quite bad enough but if I had to treat it with 2 greens together, it would be a really bad hypo! Yuk
Not thought of using my pots for the JBs but if I do I shall be taking care of both colour and position.
Made me chuckle

To me, a jelly baby is a jelly baby is a jelly baby. No colour bar in my mouth or in my head.

FWIW, as a replacement for test strip pots, I use chewing gum tubs. A bit bigger, OK for back pack/handbag but a bit big for pocket. Quite useful in the garage too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back