Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Libre 2

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Other

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curous, what with the issues that libre seems prone to, and the choice with dexcom 1, how many people are using each?
I was self funding Libre 2, but found that approximately every other sensor would stop working early, one after only 4 days. Abbott always replaced but from reporting the problem it took about a week for the replacement to arrive. Abbott said they recommended that I always keep 2 sensors ready in case of a problem, but when self funding cant really afford to do that.

I switched recently to Dexcom One, although much more fiddly to install, and the unknown time that the transmitter lasts, I have found Dexcom more reliable.

Trying to do battle with my local health authority to get a sensor prescribed, wish me luck.

I've been using a Dexcom One for 89 days (last sensor expires tomorrow). I've had two sensor failures but Dexcom sent new ones the next day, I'm self funding but will not be carrying on with it. The main problem I've had with it is sensor placing and I tried several places but being a side/front sleeper there didn't appear to be any part of me that wouldn't apply pressure to it during the night, also I found the connectivity to be flaky at best and had signal failures even when it was right next to me and I have never got readings overnight as contact was always lost around 1am and wouldn't restart until I restarted the app in the morning. It's been useful to see the effect of different foods on the readings but I'm not convinced of the accuracy between sensors as some were over reading compared to a finger prick the smallest difference over the whole period was .40 and the largest 2.60 with an average of 1.2 for all the readings I compared. The app was running on an iPhone XR. You can get great reports out of the Clarity app but if the readings are not consistent I'm not sure how useful they are.

I decided to get the monitor after listening to a few podcasts and youtube videos by Jesse Chappus/Dr Robert Lustig/Jason Fung and realised that the problem is not just high levels of glucose in the blood but that it's insulin resistance that causes it. As a result I embarked on a regime of time restricted eating, namely the 18:6 method (fasting for 18 hours and having a 6 hour eating window) and so was interested in what my week/by/week progress would be on my glucose levels. I've been on that path for just over three months now and lost 10kg in the first 6 weeks but that has stabilized now at 65kg. I've got another round of blood tests next week and am very interested in what the changes might show, the last lot of tests showed very much increased glucose, raised cholesterol and triglycerides.

Last edited:
Just a point..whilst g6 doesn't have a massive list of compatible phones, you can use the 'build your own dexcom app' and run it on non compatible phones, if you are ok trusting some reddit random. I've had no problems

I've been using a Dexcom One for 89 days (last sensor expires tomorrow). I've had two sensor failures but Dexcom sent new ones the next day, I'm self funding but will not be carrying on with it. The main problem I've had with it is sensor placing and I tried several places but being a side/front sleeper there didn't appear to be any part of me that wouldn't apply pressure to it during the night, also I found the connectivity to be flaky at best and had signal failures even when it was right next to me and I have never got readings overnight as contact was always lost around 1am and wouldn't restart until I restarted the app in the morning. It's been useful to see the effect of different foods on the readings but I'm not convinced of the accuracy between sensors as some were over reading compared to a finger prick the smallest difference over the whole period was .40 and the largest 2.60 with an average of 1.2 for all the readings I compared. The app was running on an iPhone XR. You can get great reports out of the Clarity app but if the readings are not consistent I'm not sure how useful they are.

Never used Dexcom 1 but don't have those issue with Dexcom G6, no compression lows despite sleeping on same side & don't experience any signal loss during night at all, also find it to be very accurate & in line with bg readings.

Might be worth trying next time if your willing to give Dexcom another go.

I think the trends are, for an experienced eye, almost as valuable as actual numbers (within reason).

Also, I found at low levels (4-5) the differential was not so great as when in the highs. Because the main interest nowadays, thanks to the existence of CGM, is Time in Range (TIR) with less interest in HbA1c. And much more emphasis is made on keeping time below 4.0, ie low out of range, as small as is achievable - with a recommendation to be no more than 4% low. Whereas time above 10.0, ie high out of range, up to 25% is acceptable. So - even with variation between interstitial from your CGM vs actual - the influence that might have on your TIR is not necessarily very big.
I decided to get the monitor after listening to a few podcasts and youtube videos by Jesse Chappus/Dr Robert Lustig/Jason Fung and realised that the problem is not just high levels of glucose in the blood but that it's insulin resistance that causes it. As a result I embarked on a regime of time restricted eating, namely the 18:6 method (fasting for 18 hours and having a 6 hour eating window) and so was interested in what my week/by/week progress would be on my glucose levels. I've been on that path for just over three months now and lost 10kg in the first 6 weeks but that has stabilized now at 65kg. I've got another round of blood tests next week and am very interested in what the changes might show, the last lot of tests showed very much increased glucose, raised cholesterol and triglycerides.
Because I'm T3c and as if T1, I am not so concerned about insulin resistance. I'd not heard about the 18:6 method. Good luck with that; it will be interesting to see how that works out for you both In the near future and for longer term sustainability.

Used libre nearly since it arrived here in UK, had very few issues & found it reliable & accurate enough.

Switched to Dexcom G6 few months back, all good so far & probably prefer it over libre tbh.

Do you mind me asking why? I'm also thinking of making the switch.

Do you mind me asking why? I'm also thinking of making the switch.

Not at all, alert features are much better on Dexcom, plus its more in line with bg levels when bg is high or low, also like fact that Dexcom provide overpatches for sensors to secure them in place, these are sent free of charge with delivery.

One more, with Dexcom all equipment is automatically sent out 3 monthly, so no having to order sensors on prescription like you do with Libre.

Be aware the Dexcom app is supported on a smaller set of phones. Unlike LibreLink, if you don't have a supported phone, the app will not install. There are alternative unofficial apps you could use.
Something to be aware of before switching.

I use an unofficial app on a non supported phone and its been fine, but i suppose it depends if you feel happy with that. I also have the reader as backup

I've used NHS funded Guardian 3 sensors with Medtronic 640G for over about 20 years. If it says anything high or low, I always finger prick (with Accuchek Mobile, which is great, but out of production). Though happy to rely on it when it stops my pump due to low reading. Guardian 3 has never been reliable enough for me to be the base of any daytime bolus decision. All corrections are on the basis of fingerpricks. I am shortly changing to 780G and Guardian 4 which I hope will be better.
Type 1 since 1956, 75kg. 185cm, clopidogral, Delafine, atorvastatin, finasteride and and something else.

Interesting everyone is still on libre...i supposed dex one is quite new. I wonder if the large number of libre issues more reflects its popularity rather than the degree things go wrong with libre
I had a letter today from GP surgery saying I’m being switched to “Dexcom” (I assume Dexcom 1) in two weeks. An appointment’s been arranged and someone from Dexcom’ll be there to help with the set-up...only problem is, I’ll be on holiday - it’s half term. Also, my phone ain’t compatible with the app, so I hope they’re going to supply me with a reader. I’m not sure how I feel about being forced to switch. The Dexcom 1 reader’s graphics are utter crap compared to the Libre reader’s. Fingers crossed it’s the G6, but highly unlikely...watch this space. :confused:

Last edited:
Dexcom must be cheaper than Abbott.
On the price list I saw ages ago it looked like it was £10 a year cheaper, so basically nothing. Perhaps there are local deals, but my guess is that local teams have found patients do better with Dexcom One and that the teams prefer to deal with one system rather than several.

On the price list I saw ages ago it looked like it was £10 a year cheaper, so basically nothing. Perhaps there are local deals, but my guess is that local teams have found patients do better with Dexcom One and that the teams prefer to deal with one system rather than several.
Fair enough, on the last point. My consultant said (a year ago now) I’d be able to choose. But the surgery is a different matter! :rofl:

I had a letter today from GP surgery saying I’m being switched to “Dexcom” (I assume Dexcom 1) in two weeks. An appointment’s been arranged and someone from Dexcom’ll be there to help with the set-up...only problem is, I’ll be on holiday - it’s half term. Also, my phone ain’t compatible with the app, so I hope they’re going to supply me with a reader. I’m not sure how I feel about being forced to switch. The Dexcom 1 reader’s graphics are utter crap compared to the Libre reader’s. Fingers crossed it’s the G6, but highly unlikely...watch this space. :confused:

If you find that the Dexcom One doesn't work as well for you or you haven't got a compatible phone and prefer to stay with Libre, you should have justification for doing so. Same as you have a right to a named insulin rather than a generic or alternative.
Personally I would not be happy with a swap to Dexcom because even just swapping to the Libre app caused me significant issues with managing hypos and was the main reason why I went back to the reader for the Libre. If I wake up hypo at 3am I do not want to be in a situation where I can't figure out how to use the app like I did with the Libre app. The reader is now second nature to me and I can use it whilst still half asleep and hypo, which is what I need to be able to do, otherwise my mind goes into a loop ot not knowing which buttons to press and how to work the app and I am so busy trying to do that, that my mind can't leave that thought loop and register that I urgently need to eat Jelly Babies, not mess around with the app! It is weird and scary what hypos can do to your thought process and how you get stuck in a loop with inconsequential things, so you really need systems to be as familiar and straight forward as possible. I am now 4 months down the line with the iphone and I still try to operate it like my Motorola..... every day I go to swipe instead of press the home button to open it. Grrrh!! It is very difficult to unlearn very habitual things even when not hypo.

Just thought - are there low alarms with the Dexcom 1 Receiver/Reader?

Good points @rebrascora. I’ll be asking lots of questions! :confused: :D

I believe so. I would be very surprised if there weren't.

Your using Omnipod dash, could it be they are changing you to the Omnipod 5? you need a G6 for the 5. The same happened to someone on a course I was on, he thought he was swapping to dexcom and ended up on the Omnipod 5 with a G6. Dont want to get your hopes up, just saying.

Your using Omnipod dash, could it be they are changing you to the Omnipod 5? you need a G6 for the 5. The same happened to someone on a course I was on, he thought he was swapping to dexcom and ended up on the Omnipod 5 with a G6. Dont want to get your hopes up, just saying.
That’s what I’ve been hoping since the letter arrived @pistolpete. :rofl:

Just come across this and yes you do get lows alarms with dexcom one receiver. Something else that is useful with it is you can delay the first high alert(because if your just spiking from food your not necessarily going to do anything about it then)

Last edited:
Libre 2 works well for me, very few failures and I've been using Libre since they first came out on a p/t self-funded basis and on prescription since goodness knows when. The only problems I have had have been with Abbots premature release of not-fit-for-purpose software. I trust it enough to bolus from the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back