• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Just curous, what with the issues that libre seems prone to, and the choice with dexcom 1, how many people are using each?

Hello, I use Libre 2. Never had any issues with it.
I did briefly trial a Dexcom 6 which was also great if a little bulky for me. But, 8 or 9 days in, it stopped transmitting. After a little fiddle with my phone, nothing.

Then I pressed the transmitter against the filament cradle & felt a slight click. It was back up and running. Must have worked loose and had nothing to read?
I’ve really got no idea why these Dexcom transmitters are not rechargeable?? Would save on a new transmitter every month?
Whilst it worked, I had no problems with the accuracy.

I use Dexcom G7 and am very pleased with it. It’s incredibly accurate compared to Libre 2, I’ve found. There’s no separate transmitter unlike the G6 and it’s very small and painless to insert.I also love the very short warm up time of minutes.

Very happy with Libre as it works brilliantly for me. Vote cast above.

I started with the Libre, self funded and part time, in 2015, and it was the only affordable option then. I’ve continued with it, moving to full time and NHS funded in early 2021. I think I’ve had to send back two sensors in the whole of that time, and had another drop off a day early on a very hot sticky day, which wasn’t worth bothering about.

I use Medtrum Nano (self funded).
This is not because of any problems with Libre (available on prescription) - I was using it for years via xDrip.
The Medtrum CGM integrates with my pump for auto-suspend.

I've had Libre: 1 & 2 on prescription since 2018 (having self-funded for a few months previously). It's generally fine - I do get a bit frustrated by the readings always being lower than BG (I've had about 10% of the hypos that Libre says I've had), but seeing the direction of travel is more important than the numbers themselves.

Out of curiosity I tried both Dexcom G6 & G7 on free trials (I'd have had to self-fund either of these). I found G6 bulky, fiddly with its 2 parts and the adhesive surround was yucky with fluff from my clothes way before its 10 days were up. It wasn't especially accurate either.
G7 was very discreet, I could wear it on my abdomen without issue and it was pleasingly accurate, but suffered from frequent signal loss (iPhone 12). (I feared the same might happen with the upgrade to Libre 2, but everything's fine there, so it wasn't the phone).

So, happy to stay with Libre. In 5 years, 3 sensors have been knocked off through carelessness, and 2 have been faulty.

Interesting everyone is still on libre...i supposed dex one is quite new. I wonder if the large number of libre issues more reflects its popularity rather than the degree things go wrong with libre

I'd still be with libre if it hadn't taken to repeatedly alerting through the night with false lows (not compression)
But dexcom g6 is so much better for me, especially the range of alert settings. The only thimg it dorsn't have is a note function, and its not so easy to pull your data off. But both these are more important in the early days so i don't need them so much now

I had Libre 2 for over 18 months. It gave me over 50% failures - either just stopping or becoming so inaccurate that a sensor was unworkable. No sensor fell off. The trend arrows seemed to be always correct and I persisted with L2 because even with all its difficulties it was better than nothing.

Most of my L2 time I used it with the unofficial Diabox app, which was superb when L2 was working - mitigating for the woeful performance of L2. Diabox made L2 a true CGM, with much better displays of data particularly a numerical value for rate of change, very helpful to me with my brittle D that could cause very rapid BG crashes. Diabox also provided a display on the screen of my sleeping android phone. As far as I know none of the Dexcom or Libre variants do this, without unofficial app support. Why not? Being able to instantly see where you are without having to wake a phone up is amazingly helpful.

I was offered Dex One after the revised low cost CGM guidelines. This took several months to become reality while my new ICB contemplated their navels and sustained the doing nothing status quo. Dex One was better than L2 in terms of compatibility with me, providing a better correlation with actual BG and gave less outright failures. It is a true CGM. The app's ability to record basic data such as insulin and carbs is poor and the link to Clarity (the website based data store) is not great.

In late June 2023 I self-funded a trial of Dex G7 for 10 days and I've barely been without ever since. G7 can be calibrated, but has rarely been even 1 mmol/L adrift from actual. Until G7 I've always had to finger prick before making any bolus decisions, typically at least 4 x daily. Now its a bad day if I need to fp even once daily; I feel I can trust G7 to work and be accurate. I agree with post #3, as written by @Inka. Essentially G7 is way above the other 2 - with one exception:

Last week while in France the inbuilt geolocator stopped my G7 sensor from talking to the app and I had to revert to full time fp. I have started a discussion with Dexcom about this unexpected and dangerous fault. On return to UK I was able to restart the app by reinstalling it and re-pair the app with the sensor it had frozen out; no data from that period was retained by the G7 sensor, so there is a void in the Clarity logs. This incident has shaken my trust in G7 and Dexcom generally.

Just curous, what with the issues that libre seems prone to, and the choice with dexcom 1, how many people are using each?
There is a good case for this interesting thread to be moved to the technology section and pinned near the top. Moderators?

There is a good case for this interesting thread to be moved to the technology section and pinned near the top. Moderators?
A good idea. I have flagged this with moderators.

I use a Guardian 4 sensor (self funded) because it links to my pump as a hybrid closed loop.

Like a few others, I took up the G6 trial.
I did not like the Dexcom app (it was very basic compared to LibreLink) and it is not supported on as many phones.
I assume the same Dexcom app is used for the Dexcom ONE which can be prohibitive for some.

Moved to the tech section 🙂

I used Libre1 and Libre2 (self funded) very successfully, with good accuracy for years.

Then I had a spell with self-funded Enlite and Guardian G3 that linked to my MM640G. Also found them to be reliable. If anything Enlite suited my body chemistry better than the ’improved’ G3.

Currently self-funding Dexcom G6 - again excellent performance, no problem trusting it for dosing calculations.

All the sensors I’ve ever used have had quirks and frustrations - lagginess, and occasional drift or settling-in periods. But I’ve had very usable data from all of them. Good skin adhesion, and very very few failures.

Apparently I am supposed to be able to get funding for Dex in my area now, but I’m waiting for my ‘annual’ pump clinic which has drifted again and I’ve not had any response from the hospital from a couple of messages I’ve left.

I did not like the Dexcom app (it was very basic compared to LibreLink)

Did you also get Dexcom Clarity? They split the number-crunching bit away from the ‘reader’ app, which as you say pretty much only does the one thing.

Did you also get Dexcom Clarity? They split the number-crunching bit away from the ‘reader’ app, which as you say pretty much only does the one thing.
Yeah, I got that but found it frustrating to need two apps.
In a way, Libre suffers from a bit of that with LibreView (which isn't an app) but I found more information on LibreLink than the Dexcom app.

It was some time ago (i think I have used a couple of other CGMs since) so I can't remember all the details of what I didn't like.

Yeah, I got that but found it frustrating to need two apps.
In a way, Libre suffers from a bit of that with LibreView (which isn't an app) but I found more information on LibreLink than the Dexcom app.

It was some time ago (i think I have used a couple of other CGMs since) so I can't remember all the details of what I didn't like.

Clarity is pretty good at ‘time in range’ for me, but not much else (though there are fancy reports and graphs you can produce too). there’s supposed to be a pattern spotting thing, but that’s always empty on mine, so not much use.

Thankfully TIR is what I want to know most!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back