What’s your favourite ‘food time of year’?

Barbie1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have a distant memory of reading somewhere that if we reverted to proper seasonal eating then we would naturally be healthier, because it is in our DNA. Or something like that

i prefer seasonal eating from a food miles point of view. And from when I used to have a decent sized garden with a substantial veg plot, which dictated what veg and fruit we had when.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I always prefer to buy British or European apples if I can.

It can be a real job finding them though... among the racks and racks of ones flown in from South Africa who seem to be able to produce any variety 365 days a year!

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
South Africa who seem to be able to produce any variety 365 days a year!
It‘s more likely that they are picked a bit early and then preserved in wax and ripen very slowly so they can be shipped and sold out of season. “Fresh“ apples can be six months old.

I hate to admit that my favourite apple is the Pink Lady from Australia.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Some of the best tasting apples I have had have been from a Farm Shop the other side of the city I live in. They are also a fruit farm, and they used to always have samples of the apples to have taste of, and a list of the varieties and their properties.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I actually love a ripe Cox's, or a ditto Russet - but you try getting either when you fancy one. Haven't set eyes on a russet for 20 years, I bet.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I actually love a ripe Cox's, or a ditto Russet - but you try getting either when you fancy one. Haven't set eyes on a russet for 20 years, I bet.
Not keen on either , but the apples from the Farm Shop have a totally different taste to those from supermarket. They grow strawberries and they also at the start of the season mini grow bags they don't need for themselves they sell in the shop.

Emma Lowery

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I am a massive strawberry fan and, although it is true you can get them year round, I bought some the other day and can’t remember the last time they tasted so good! Can’t beat buying them in season fresh from the UK.

brisr949

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think how we eat depends on age and what you were brought up on. This thread actually made me think how I eat and for me its definitely seasonal as thats the diet we had to follow when I was a kid. Back then everyone seemed to have some sort of veg patch or allotment too as money was so tight you had to grow your own as much as possible..I miss those is it simpler or harder times?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am a massive strawberry fan and, although it is true you can get them year round, I bought some the other day and can’t remember the last time they tasted so good! Can’t beat buying them in season fresh from the UK.
Nice to see you back, I total agree about UK ones, and the same with tomatoes for me.

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
You can't beat British strawberries.