What’s your favourite ‘food time of year’?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I‘ve been noticing this week that our food choices have switched into Summer mode, with more lighter, salady choices, and a generally fresher palate.

Even the simplest foods seem to taste better when eaten outside, and for a real feast a BBQ is hard to beat.

Having said that I am a real sucker for the hearty feelgood solidity of Autumn stews and casseroles.

What’s your favourite food season, and is it affected by which choices cause less BG chaos?

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My favourite “food time of the year” is BBQ time. But for me BBQ time is year round:cool:

Meat and salad, yay. Sunday roast in my Big Green Egg with a few small roasties and fresh vegetables (no Yorkshire puds) goes down well.

New Year’s Eve is a favourite BBQ day, regardless of the weather, as I have a barbecue hut.

I’m a newbie but try to consider carbs and BG level at all times. My biggest weakness is good dairy ice cream, and that’s also year round :)

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Oww - I just love the summer foods.
Lots of lovely fresh salad veggies, some straight from the garden - easy to prepare- no cooking.

Love eating outdoors, and getting the barbie going. Not sure what it is about blokes and barbies, but my hubby sees the barbie as his province - so another tick on the 'no cooking' list for me.

Summer fruits are a big favourite as well, although I have to take care not to eat to many.
Ah yes @HenryBennett - then there's the ice cream. This is a big 'red alert' food for me, and it is dangerous to have a tub in the freezer - it just seems to melt away!

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Don`t like food, takes away the smell of the beer.:mad:

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Ah yes @HenryBennett - then there's the ice cream. This is a big 'red alert' food for me, and it is dangerous to have a tub in the freezer - it just seems to melt away!

The weather in Northern Ireland is rubbish - 32°C in London and 21° on the same day in Belfast! That’s why a bbq hut is essential. But the agri/food business is a large part of the economy here, so top quality farm produce.

My local farm butcher is sooo good (he’s not unique). If I go in and ask for, let’s say, a shoulder of lamb he takes me into his cold room lifts down a carcass and says, “Tell me exactly what you want.” Steaks, T-bones etc he cuts to my instruction too. His home made thick pork sausages are 92% meat and make the supermarket “thick” sausages look like chipolatas! His pork & black pudding sausages are to die for.

Ice cream parlours are extremely popular too. The second largest BG spike I’ve recorded was after a four scoop tub of Mauds ice cream. I don’t keep ice cream in the freezer because, as you say, it seems to melt away:p

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
But there aren't any food seasons now. You can buy anything any time. When I was young, summer meant that salad stuff appeared in the shops. Strawberries appeared in summer, raspberries a bit later. Salad stuff like fresh lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes appeared in summer. There just wasn't the global infrastructure to get stuff year round. Spring cabbage was just that, as was new season lamb.

In truth, if we returned to seasonal eating the CO2 levels would plummet, but it wouldn't half be boring:)

I do like a good casserole or stew, these appeared in history as a way of eating cheaper, tougher cuts of meat such as shin beef spinning them out with root vegetables. Haggis, neeps and tatties is poverty food - offal, plus spuds and cattle feed. It's that kind of forced seasonal eating that has caused our instinct and tradition to eat salad stuff in summer, nothing more. Try finding a salad in India, or Morocco, say. You can, but it's only to feed us Europeans. A Barbecue is poverty cooking - it's just one step up from the campfire. Eat outside, cook inside, it's so much easier, then you don't need to eat food coated in carcinogens.

(There, that's another argument started.:D)

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@KARNAK - we had a quiz question the other day saying that in Herefordshire in olden days, they used some liquid other than water to baptise babies as it was considered to be cleaner than the water, and gave a selection of liquids, cider, perry, brandy, beer. I selected cider, not that far away from Zummerset, is it? Nope - it was beer!

I don't think I have a favourite season for food really - I enjoy most things all year round ! It's surely what you do with the ingredients that's the important part of making eating them enjoyable eg you'd hate numerous cuts of meat BBQ'd cos they'd be tough as old boot leather but if you cooked it slowly for hours it would melt in the mouth.

Afraid I'm a tad on the same page as my mate @mikeyB - there may be an ancient cast iron Hibachi at the back of the garage though, cos TBH the easiest thing to cook a whole large trout for a party buffet on!

Michael12421

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I don't like BBQ's but I realize that I am much in the minority. I love to cook (and eat) and I like Autumn and Winter food best, but I eat it all year round. A salad for me is just a side dish, not a main course. It is very hot here at the moment, just registered 36 degrees in the kitchen and that is without the oven on. Even so as I generally eat only once a day, in the early evening, I still like a hot meal. I use my slow cooker a lot for soups, stews, casseroles etc. I make lots and then freeze them.
When the temperature gets over 40 or so I can get away with just sandwiches and soup - at least the soup is hot - no gazpacho thank you.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When the temperature gets over 40 or so I can get away with just sandwiches and soup - at least the soup is hot - no gazpacho thank you.

I’m guessing you don’t live in NI?

Michael12421

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I wrote above that I did not consider a salad as a main course I forgot that there is one that I consider so, and that is
Salade Niçoise. Totally delicious and, if I can get Jersey Royal potatoes, which I can't, totally fulfills my appetite and the requirements demanded by my insulin. I have to make do with an inferior potato.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Common taters?

Michael12421

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
There is no such thing as a 'common' potato - but there are potatoes that serve different needs for different recipes, and they taste different depending on their variety.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It’s a pun on commentator as opposed to a royal potato.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@KARNAK - we had a quiz question the other day saying that in Herefordshire in olden days, they used some liquid other than water to baptise babies as it was considered to be cleaner than the water, and gave a selection of liquids, cider, perry, brandy, beer. I selected cider, not that far away from Zummerset, is it? Nope - it was beer!

I don't think I have a favourite season for food really - I enjoy most things all year round ! It's surely what you do with the ingredients that's the important part of making eating them enjoyable eg you'd hate numerous cuts of meat BBQ'd cos they'd be tough as old boot leather but if you cooked it slowly for hours it would melt in the mouth.

Afraid I'm a tad on the same page as my mate @mikeyB - there may be an ancient cast iron Hibachi at the back of the garage though, cos TBH the easiest thing to cook a whole large trout for a party buffet on!

(There, that's another argument started.:D)

Another argument started, I don`t think so so Jenny.

Two whole sea bass fresh from out of the sea, still on the lines now in the freezer.
What more? maybe another two?

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My Mum always enjoyed and cooked with the change of seasons, so I had that growing up, and when the kids were small Jane and I started getting a ‘veg box’ from a local organic grower (cliche much?). It kept our food miles right down as they grow as much as they can on-site on the outskirts of the city and only add in a few extras where necessary, which had the benefit of keeping the seasons going for me. Squashes and root veg in the autumn... leaves in the spring... different types of potatoes (or none) as the seasons change... beans, tomatoes, lettuce, courgette, aubergine and peppers etc in the summer

Recent family changes had involved more supermarket veg, though we still get a box fortnightly.

Weirdly, I think the ’always available’ nature of supermarket shelves with stuff flown in from goodness knows where can actually make things more boring, because if you aren‘t careful you can just keep the same 6-8 dishes on hard rotation that everyone in the household is more or less happy with.

Having seasonal produce always meant you had to start with what you had in, then work out what to do with it... rather than just eating the same things to save thinking.