Well, this is a surprise.....

Thanks for the update @NewDawn

The rises in your glucose levels do seem fairly short-lived and the peaks were relatively modest in comparison to my efforts some days!

You might like to browse this thread which links to a fairly large 2019 study that looked into CGM responses of healthy subjects without diabetes.

It may give your results some context and background?

Thank you.

I had to go into the study to work out what was going on and I found a table from which I have extracted the top. I understand that this contains average BG levels over 24 hours for non-diabetic patients split into age groups.

1728328803525.png
This suggests a mean BG level of 104 +/-9 mg/dl (5.78 +/- 0.5 mmol/mol) for those aged 60+. In the immediately lower age group the numbers are 99 +/-6 mg/dl; 5.50+/-0.3 mmol/mol.

Is that a correct interpretation? My average BG, albeit a really small sample size is 5.0 mmol/mol.

I also found this calculator on the diabetes.org.uk website which suggests to me that my estimated HbA1c based on this mean BG level is 28.4. (Again, very early days.)

1728329160827.png

Have I understood the situation correctly? (For the avoidance of doubt, I am not asking for medical advice. I have an appointment at my GP on the 14th to discuss the results.)

Last edited:
I also found this calculator on the diabetes.org.uk website which suggests to me that my estimated HbA1c based on this mean BG level is 28.4. (Again, very early days.)

1728329160827.png

Have I understood the situation correctly? (For the avoidance of doubt, I am not asking for medical advice. I have an appointment at my GP on the 14th to discuss the results.)

You can’t directly convert between fingerprick mmol/L levels and an HbA1c - it’s an estimate (guess) at best. The formulae (there are several in circulation) are ‘best fit’ from historic pairs of average fingerstick glucose and HbA1c values. Generally I find they underestimate my HbA1c by a notch or two - even from 24hr sensor average data.

The styling also looks like it might be .co.uk (the red commercial website) not .org.uk (the blue charity website)

To convert to/from mg/dl to mmol/L (note /L, not /mol!) you need to divide or multiply by 18 (which they have done in the text you posted)

104mg/dl = 5.78mmol/l for those aged 60+
and
99mg/dl; 5.5mmol/l in the lower age group.

This is where I have got to.

Have swapped cereal, golden syrup and a lot of protein bars for wholegrain toast, fruit, zero fat yogurt and trail mix. Below is the summary page from my CGM. I think that the sensor started to die on the 15th as the BG numbers start a significant downward trend thereafter and the FP tests are significantly higher than the CGM figure.

Average BG = 5.2 mmol/L. GMI 37 mmol/mol, estimated A1c (from the app) 30 mmol/mol. The manufacturer cannot tell me why there is such a discrepancy between the latter two numbers as they seem to have the same definition. I trust the app number as it foots with the converter I mentioned in my previous post.

1729152611227.png
The plan is to stick with what I am doing. I have managed to negotiate 3-month BG and cholesterol tests with the GP, but have bought a Thriva kit to test both in a month.

Thank you to everyone for all your valuable experience.

Back