Wallycorker's petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's a misleading 'and' in it. I think it should read:

SMBG should only be provided routinely to people with Type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin or sulphonylurea, where there is an agreed purpose or goal to testing.

rather than

SMBG should only be provided routinely to people with Type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin or sulphonylurea and where there is an agreed purpose or goal to testing.

I think that it is the "not" that shouldn't be there, so it should read ....

SMBG should only be provided routinely to people with Type 2 diabetes who are treated with insulin or sulphonylurea and where there is an agreed purpose or goal to testing.

Andy

Doesn't that rather imply that it's not an 'either/or' situation?

Yes. Don't forget that it's the Government talking here (not me)! :(

In theory, they only think that Type 2's need to self test if they're on insulin or sulphonylurea (which are both more likely to cause hypos). The bit after the "and" then means that they can opt out of that too.

I think that I've watched too many "Yes, Prime Ministers!". :D

For the real world though, I agree that the "and" should really be an "or".

Andy

At first I thought they had accidentally put that 'not' in there, because then it goes on to say 'non-insulin users', so now im even more confused. Useless response!

I suppose it rather depends on what they're actually trying to say. And that, of course, is anyone's guess :(

I may have done them a disservice. At the end it does say ...

"Individuals with non-insulin treated diabetes who are motivated by SMBG to maximise the benefits of lifestyle and medication should be encouraged to continue to monitor their blood glucose."

So, perhaps it should be an "or"!! 🙂

Andy

Or perhaps whoever wrote it had training from ex PM, Mr T. Bliar.

It was often said that during negotiations with various people, he could leave all of them thinking that he agreed with them, even though each person had completely differing positions!

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back