Wallycorker's petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Peter,

All e-petitions were suspended for the election period.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Diabetes-Advice/

Perhaps indefinite now? I hope not!

Anyway, I had been led to understand that you objected strongly to my petition. Why the interest now if I might ask?

Best wishes - John

Hi Peter,

All e-petitions were suspended for the election period.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Diabetes-Advice/

Perhaps indefinite now? I hope not!

Anyway, I had been led to understand that you objected strongly to my petition. Why the interest now if I might ask?

Best wishes - John

Hi wally,
You must be mixing me up with someone else- i didn't "strongly object" to your petition, I just said I wasn't signing it.Why wouldn't anybody be interested in the response ?

I would sign that - please let us know if ever it is re-started. Unless I am missing something!

Hi wally,
You must be mixing me up with someone else- i didn't "strongly object" to your petition, I just said I wasn't signing it.Why wouldn't anybody be interested in the response ?
I'm not really mixing you up with anyone at all I don't think Peter.

I think the following is was the first reaction from anyone whatsoever regarding my e-petition:

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/forum/Blah.pl?b-gb/m-1240911521/s-0/

Fairly much against the e-petition I'd say.

Anyway, I fully accept that you are just as entitled to your view as I am to mine. I'm glad that you are at least interested in the eventual outcome.

Very best wishes as always - John

Last edited:
He has been banned wally so he wont see your reply.

He has been banned wally so he wont see your reply.
Peter C banned? Why? Peter is always a very serious and reasonable poster. Moreover, he always tries to help the newly diagnosed.

In my opinion the this forum won't be a better place for the banning of someone such as Peter C even though the two of us don't always hold the same point of view.

Don't tell me that this forum is heading the way of other diabetes forums such as the very strange Diabetes.co.uk forum - one of the places that I have been banned from for holding such outlandish and unreasonable views?

John

Peter C banned? Why? Peter is always a very serious and reasonable poster. Moreover, he always tries to help the newly diagnosed.

In my opinion the this forum won't be a better place for the banning of someone such as Peter C even though the two of us don't always hold the same point of view.

Don't tell me that this forum is heading the way of other diabetes forums such as the very strange Diabetes.co.uk forum - one of the places that I have been banned from for holding such outlandish and unreasonable views?

John

John, peter was banned for his disgusting treatment and abusive comments re something i posted as well as his nasty comments towards others too. He really upset me today, and I spent most of this afternoon in tears because of him. He is a very rude man, and I hardly think that what he says is reasonable either.

John

I dont want to get involved but he has on numerous occasions upset many people on here and after being banned for a week some months ago and not seeming to learn from it he continued this week to upset a very trusted and liked member of the forum.So in the end he was banned

John, peter was banned for his disgusting treatment and abusive comments re something i posted as well as his nasty comments towards others too. He really upset me today, and I spent most of this afternoon in tears because of him. He is a very rude man, and I hardly think that what he says is reasonable either.
Hi SilentAssassin,

I'm very sorry that Peter C upset you so badly. I haven't seen any of that and I must re-iterate that Peter C and I rarely see eye to eye completely on many matters.

However, I do say that invariably he does try very hard to point the newly diagnosed in the right direction.

I repeat that I don't think that this forum will be a better place for the banning of serious posters such as Peter C.

Best wishes - John

I dont want to get involved but he has on numerous occasions upset many people on here and after being banned for a week some months ago and not seeming to learn from it he continued this week to upset a very trusted and liked member of the forum.So in the end he was banned
Hi Steff,

How do you know that Peter C has been banned? Who made that decision?

In my experience, the banning process is usually quite arbitary and the decision goes unannounced both to the person being banned and to other members also. That is what I have found about the way it works on other diabetes forums.

I'm banned from at least two to my knowledge but have absolutely no idea why. Moreover, I can't be bothered to ask.

Best wishes - John

Hi Steff,

In my experience, the banning process is usually quite arbitary and the decision goes unannounced both to the person being banned and to other members also. That is what I have found about the way it works on other diabetes forums.

I'm banned from at least two to my knowledge but have absolutely no idea why. Moreover, I can't be bothered to ask.

Best wishes - John

look under his name - it says "banned", and it was all the moderators decisions. When someone like PC has upset so many people, and is constantly rude, it makes sense to now allow them on a forum like this which is about support...he was not "supportive" but rather rude and unconstructive in his posts. And moreover, incredibly upsetting :(

Hi Steff,

I'd rather not go into specifics but just wanted to say, we (as in the the mods) don't take the decision to ban members from the forum lightly, quickly nor arbitarily we have never banned anyone for their views as we really do welcome a range of views from members.
In the very few cases where members have been banned here it has been as the result of repeated defiance of forum rules (which are very clear for any member to see) including things like offensive posts, bullying or personal attacks of other forum members etc. The decision to ban members is always the last resort and is after discussion between the mods, in the couple of cases where members have been banned all mods have been in agreement as to the decision made.

I'd rather not go into specifics but just wanted to say, we (as in the the mods) don't take the decision to ban members from the forum lightly, quickly nor arbitarily we have never banned anyone for their views as we really do welcome a range of views from members.
In the very few cases where members have been banned here it has been as the result of repeated defiance of forum rules (which are very clear for any member to see) including things like offensive posts, bullying or personal attacks of other forum members etc. The decision to ban members is always the last resort and is after discussion between the mods, in the couple of cases where members have been banned all mods have been in agreement as to the decision made.
Hi aymes,

You will know the banning procedures for this particular forum and certainly I don't.

I accept that the banned person in question can be very blunt and sometimes rude. However, as I have said previously, I really would question whether the forum is a better place for banning people such as Peter C.

Best wishes - John

Hi Steff,

Best wishes - John

As far as i know and i am not a mod so dont know the process but i can only assume the mods make a decsion between them but ultimetly admin have the final say.

Hi aymes,

You will know the banning procedures for this particular forum and certainly I don't.

I accept that the banned person in question can be very blunt and sometimes rude. However, as I have said previously, I really would question whether the forum is a better place for banning people such as Peter C.

Best wishes - John

I think many people on here will agree that banning Peter was a good decision

peter c offered some excellant advice to newbies and myself included eg when i had my recent HbA1c results ....howver he was initaily banned for a week for hijacking my thread when i was really in a crisis and....he tried to turn it into a discussion on who has the worse time with their D ...T1 or T2 ...something we all know is not an issue here as we unique here by all being in it together. This is a Support Forum ...yes sometimes posts may seem trivial or repetative , but we pride ourselves in no question or post is regarded silly.
the latest issue revolved around an active member who is having a very hard time trying to secure employment ... which is having a massive impact on her life and diabetes at this point in time. she is an award winning writer and very intelligent and so has a service that may help some members...if you all note many have wanted help with websites etc which i know she has offered free of charge. It was unneccessary for peterC to be so publically rude ...a pm to northe or another mod would have solved the problem.
I will miss PeterC excellant postings but the rudeness was totally unacceptable . I just wish he had learnt from the first banning .
am

...I accept that the banned person in question can be very blunt and sometimes rude. However, as I have said previously, I really would question whether the forum is a better place for banning people such as Peter C. ...

I've observed over my period as mod and admin of this forum, and previously as mod on another forum for the past 15 years, that people who are 'blunt' have a tendency also to be self-assured and knowledgeable, but they often fail to appreciate the mood and the membership of the forum, and that others may be feeling much more vulnerable. Personally, I do not feel that there is any excuse for a lack of respect and empathy for other members. The forum might benefit from posts that provide good information or links, but I think that this forum in particular gets most from the support and friendship members show to others dealing with an often frightening and distressing disease. Generating an atmosphere of anger and provocation does not constitute support.

I've observed over my period as mod and admin of this forum, and previously as mod on another forum for the past 15 years, that people who are 'blunt' have a tendency also to be self-assured and knowledgeable, but they often fail to appreciate the mood and the membership of the forum, and that others may be feeling much more vulnerable. Personally, I do not feel that there is any excuse for a lack of respect and empathy for other members. The forum might benefit from posts that provide good information or links, but I think that this forum in particular gets most from the support and friendship members show to others dealing with an often frightening and distressing disease. Generating an atmosphere of anger and provocation does not constitute support.

hear hear this is a support forum 🙂
This is why we love you Northe xxx

As has already been said, the moderators on this forum don't make the decision to ban someone lightly or easily (nor is that the case on any forum of which I am either owner, moderator or member. I wouldn't stay if it were). The rules of this forum are few, simple and clear: Bad language and personal attacks are not to be tolerated. We (the mods) are firm believers that where moderation is concerned, less is more and the real secret to having the power lies in not using it unless you have no other choice.

I admit, Peter C did at times make excellent and informative posts but was also often abrasive in his approach, frequently upsetting people. A failing that was discussed with him repeatedly and which he consistently failed to amend. I regret his banning, but agreed with the other moderators about the reasons for it.

We want to help and support one another but cannot do so unless we ALL treat each other with respect. We should be proud of this place we've built where no question is too stupid to be asked, no person's feelings are derided and no-one cares which 'flavour' of diabetic you (or your loved ones) are. When it comes down to it, we're all in the same boat struggling to manage a most uncooperative condition, often it seems with the active resistance of the 'experts' on whom we are forced to depend. I for one will do all in my power to maintain the even-handed, supportive, caring atmosphere of this place and I am sure all of you will do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back