Walking thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I am trying to motivate myself to exercise more, now the weather is colder I am less inclined to go for a walk. To encourage me and hopefully others, I wondered if we could share the steps or miles we cover each day and then we can see at the end of the week, how far we have travelled collectively. We could choose a starting point, like London and then go in a direction and see where we end up.

Just a bit of fun, but it may help me do the steps and get back on track

Anyone else fancy joining me on this?

Lands End to John O’Groats maybe?
Or the Pan American Highway! That might take a considerable while though…

42502207-5927-47D8-997F-39A7E23C8DED.png

If you’re on FB Jenny join #Walk1000 miles. I also subscribe to the Country Walking magazine it’s affiliated to, but it’s not compulsory. The idea is to walk at least 1000 miles in a 12 month period. Less than 3 miles a day. Traditionally starting 1st January, but it’s your challenge so you could start anytime. I’m way behind this year and only on 600 boots on miles, that means I only count deliberate walks, not just walking round the house/garden or the supermarket, but others count every step/mile. We post photos of our walks and our mileage, it’s generally to encourage each other. They do a John O’Groats to Lands End virtual challenge which you pay for ( £10ish) and get a medal at the end. I don’t bother with that but do fill my chart in, which will come in next month’s mag. It’s good fun and does encourage you even when you feel you don’t want to do it. Some do 3/4K miles. But most are plodders like me.

I work on the University of Warwick Science Park which has a nice big country park that I walk around most luchtimes, Or I might sometimes do an alternative route and go through a wood. If walking from home I usually walk to the city centre or around a local park that is quite large.

Next year I'm going to try for the road distance from Sydney to Perth = 3,934km, says Google Maps.

Last year I did 3,780km. This year so far 3,520km which means I won't quite make it this year, but it's a good target for 2023.

Hi @Jenny65, what a great idea. I average around 50 miles per week usually made up of 3 walks per day: 6:30am to kick start my system, lunchtime, then a big walk after work. It is hard motivating myself for the after work walk not because of the cold, but because of the dark. I normally walk by the canal but don't feel safe doing this in the dark, quite apart from not being able to see where I'm going! Luckily I only work 3 days a week now, so other days can set off earlier while it's still light. Happy to post my mileage to see where we get to! 🙂

I'm in 😉

10,557 steps (4.52 miles) yesterday...

....Although nearly didn't close my Apple Fitness rings off due to trying to get a late Black Friday deal which still didn't pay off (check out stage kept failing each time!)

11:45pm last night and my watch told me a Brisk Walk for 7 mins will close my rings off...So off I went! Rings closed off for 407 days in a row! (407 Days since I got my Watch)

...408 days already completed today...step count so far 14,253 (6.34 miles)

Yep, colder weather I'm finding it harder too - last year seemed easy..not sure why it feels harder this winter, so this thread is a great idea, and I think it's important to think of this not as competition, more as a collective for all - team effort, and see where it takes us! 😉

Where are we starting from?!

Hi all I did 9715 steps today

Cold weather and darkness really do put me off too.

Generally I fo 75 minutes to 150 minutes a day walking on the beach. To help stave off the boredom I listen to a random selection of clasdical pieces as I walk.

Today I will probably only do the 75 minutes.

Ended the day on 15094 steps (6.67 Miles) yesterday

256 steps so far this morning..

Last edited:
I’ve done just under 15000 steps, that’s about six miles for me. I’ve only got little legs! I walked into town and back and it was freezing. I kept wishing I’d taken the car but of course I’m glad I did it, although I was almost hypo when I got home. 4.2! Had two plain Hob Nobs with my cup of tea. Done the trick.
No waking tomorrow, I’m out for lunch with friends and although I did think about maybe walking to the venue I didn’t think turning up in a frock and walking boots would look good! 🙄
Going on a walking holiday on Friday in the Lakes, all being well should get a few miles in.

15873 steps (7.23 Miles) at Midnight..
Working tonight…:D

Last edited:
Are you all using iphones to measure your steps?
I use an app called AccuPedo, on a Samsung phone. I don't know how good it is compared to others but my juvenile sense of humour thought the name was hilarious.

12442 steps (5.43 Miles) yesterday - I use my Apple Watch

Last edited:
The dogs keep me out and about walking, even when the weather turns!

Tuesday: 10,979
Wednesday: 11,284
Thursday: 9,931

According to Apple Health on my phone.

Not wearing my Fitbit at the moment, and my iPhone generally counts fewer steps than Fitbit.

I just use the health app on my iPhone, I don’t think it is exactly accurate all the time, it only counts my steps when I have it on my person. It lays around the house in various places until I leave the house. I guess I might walk another mile a day just going up and down the stairs, or up the garden. But I just count my steps/miles when I’m actually outside.

Hi All

I have totalled up my weekly steps and have walked a total of 43010 steps in the last 4 days (started on Tuesday) I will add everyones up and later we can see where we are on the map 🙂 Hopefully somewhere nice, can anyone calculate steps into miles please

Hi All

I have totalled up my weekly steps and have walked a total of 43010 steps in the last 4 days (started on Tuesday) I will add everyones up and later we can see where we are on the map 🙂 Hopefully somewhere nice, can anyone calculate steps into miles please
Good job😉

So my little legs take me 2250 ish steps a mile - others may be less a bit less tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back