Unromantic

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 63 I can't find anything romantic or spontaneous about sex anyway, regardless of diabetes. I manage to avoid it 6 days out of 7, and I suspect my partner feels the same way, but we carry on carrying on on Sunday mornings, to maintain some semblence of youth I suppose. Sorry folks, probably way too much information there for you!
The fact you are planning for it @spell means you are probably in a better (and much more romantic) situation than me

At 63 I can't find anything romantic or spontaneous about sex anyway, regardless of diabetes. I manage to avoid it 6 days out of 7, and I suspect my partner feels the same way, but we carry on carrying on on Sunday mornings, to maintain some semblence of youth I suppose. Sorry folks, probably way too much information there for you!
The fact you are planning for it @spell means you are probably in a better (and much more romantic) situation than me
Well at 55 I seem to permanently have the horn, what I'm saying is it's something you shouldn't have to plan, it's just type 1
F***ing the f***ing.
Something else it interferes with

Having to plan for sex,not very romantic or spontaneous is it.

My late missis was all about the preparation and warm-up... A bit of build-up and anticipation can make things better 😉

No planning required for me the other morning 🙄 o_Oand diabetes behaved impeccably 😎, but sometimes it is nice to plan and my partner actually prefers it like that because it is more "special" than spur of the moment.

No planning required for me the other morning 🙄 o_Oand diabetes behaved impeccably 😎, but sometimes it is nice to plan and my partner actually prefers it like that because it is more "special" than spur of the moment.
I'm talking about spontaneity here, it doesn't exist in the type 1 world

@rebrascora mentioned a spontaneous, unplanned occasion in her post above…
If you’re saying that diabetes pops into our heads whenever we realise sex is on the cards, as you put it, well, yes, but so do other things unrelated to diabetes too.

Type 1 does impact our lives and planning, and it’s a pain, but dealing with it without letting it take centre stage is what I’ve found works.

Agh don't use the word horn, as a 15 yr old trying to send a postcard back to first office job and looking for a non-rude Towyn one, sent cartoon of Rhinocerus with huge horn and big bosomed lady telling her friend "I wouldn't trust anything with a horn like that!" I didn't know the word! :rofl: It caused quite a stir I can tell you. I've probably mentioned this before but it's still a big memory all these decades later.

Yes it does.
At least, I have reasonably well managed Type 1 diabetes and I am often spontaneous. I was the same before I had diabetes and refuse to let it control my life.

I was talking about a spontaneous event and whilst I had already woken up and thought about my diabetes and injected my Levemir which is always my first task of the day (before I get out of bed), it wasn't something which factored into the occasion itself at all. I did have a fleeting thought about other things.... like did we have time in our morning schedule for this.... and my partner probably should have had a blast of his inhaler in advance of our activities, so it isn't just diabetes which impacts such things, but it certainly didn't spoil the enjoyment or stop us from being spontaneous.

Me being a misery guts a couple of years ago definitely impacted it though, so most likely it is your mental state which is the issue not the diabetes.

I am confused, why do you have to plan sex, would that be the same for type 2, not heard of this before

I am confused, why do you have to plan sex, would that be the same for type 2, not heard of this before
It is because the unplanned physical activity can cause you to hypo when you are using insulin.

Of course you can always pleasurably introduce some carbs into the situation if necessary like some Nutella or ice cream toppings or whatever, although I appreciate that needs a bit of planning, unless you happen to keep a jar on the bedside table for emergency use. 😉

It is because the unplanned physical activity can cause you to hypo when you are using insulin.
Thank you for explaining, so would you need to eat beforehand?

The main problem with spontaneous sex in my life, is I haven't got anyone to have it with :(

@Vonny - I used to avoid sex with my ex, I remember taking my children into bed with me, so he couldnt join me, I thought it was just sex (I was exhausted looking after 3 under 5s) but when we split up 28 years later I met someone else and wanted it all the time, (I was 48 so not a spring chicken), sadly that relationship didn't end well either after 7 years (not sex avoidance related) - I wonder if it's the person or the act that makes us not want it, although my friend is in her late 50s and her husband is 10 years older, he has a bad back and can't move and she told me when they go to bed he puts pillows down the middle of the bed to keep them apart. They love each other but dont lust after each other. Sorry gone of subject here.

Thank you for explaining, so would you need to eat beforehand?
It depends on your levels, how prolonged it is likely to be etc. I suppose just checking your levels before starting takes an element of romance out of it, but with Libre it takes nothing to have a quick scan and yes if necessary, have a few carbs or as I suggested incorporate them into the activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back