Types 2 gets all the help Shame while Type 1's suffer all we hear on TV is Type 2 Diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, we're all in the same boat
We’re not though.

We might all be in a storm but some are drowning, some in a rowing boat, others are in a yacht with cruise control….

I don’t know what @Limerick42 was hoping to get from this thread but if it’s support of other diabetics then offending 90% of them by writing multiple judgemental threads with inaccurate facts about T2s and not showing any sign of wanting to learn the reality of apologising for being misinformed isn’t the way to do it.

If you want support you need to understand that everyone’s different, not offend 90% of people with diabetes, and ask whatever the specific questions you need help with are.

In the time I have been on this forum I have gathered that many people who are diagnosed as Type 1 very much become their own expert and after the early days following diagnosis learn to manage their diabetes and actually know more than the nurses or doctor they might see at a GP practice. It is only when unexpected things happen that they may need input from the hospital diabetic clinic.
Putting more effort in finding a way to self manage your condition may alleviate some of your frustration. You need to move forward and not dwell on the past.
People will try to help if you ask specific questions.

Unfortunately or not some people in this world have a strange way of thinking. That to you and me makes no sense. It is said common sense is not that common. Don't want to judge. For example owning guns makes no sense to me but our friends in the USA will tell you a person can be killed with a pencil.

Unfortunately or not some people in this world have a strange way of thinking. That to you and me makes no sense. It is said common sense is not that common. Don't want to judge. For example owning guns makes no sense to me but our friends in the USA will tell you a person can be killed with a pencil.
My other half who grew up in Rhodesia says everybody used to carry a knife but it wasn't used to stab someone but to sharpen a stick that they would use to do the stabbing.

We are all different but this forum is safe. Im with you on guns but know people not only think but feel the need of their right.
Agree to differ . Until your in someone's shoes its hard to understand .

My other half who grew up in Rhodesia says everybody used to carry a knife but it wasn't used to stab someone but to sharpen a stick that they would use to do the stabbing.
It's one of those debates. It will go on forever. And yes, there is a knife problem in London the last time I looked. And there used to be one in Scotland that they did something about.

We’re not though.

We might all be in a storm but some are drowning, some in a rowing boat, others are in a yacht with cruise control….

I don’t know what @Limerick42 was hoping to get from this thread but if it’s support of other diabetics then offending 90% of them by writing multiple judgemental threads with inaccurate facts about T2s and not showing any sign of wanting to learn the reality of apologising for being misinformed isn’t the way to do it.

If you want support you need to understand that everyone’s different, not offend 90% of people with diabetes, and ask whatever the specific questions you need help with are.
There are different severities of any health condition. I get severe anxiety which will leave me shaking with fear unable to get out of bed on the morning of an interview. The job coach however, did not get it.

I think the grass is always greener on the other side.
I see type 1 as having this disease with no blame or shame as it should be.
There is a lot of technical equipment only given to type one.
There is a lot of sympathy for type one.
If i were you I would try get another opinion.
I am sure you could explain to another Gp and say i know i am Diabetic but all this is causing me concern.
I don’t want to see anyone myself having to goto get treated like an idiot.
Ive been crying with shame this morning my hubby told someone who might as well tell the world Put it in the news that i am doing this low carb to get sugars down. Yes I am but all they'll think its well fat slob she is anyways.
Yes I admit weight has been my is due since i had kids but having diabetes does not necessary mean I've given myself this . Anorexics stop eating is that self induced trauma too. Do sports people have more injury and not cost the health service anything.
We need to be responsible snd get ourselves help regardless . I cannot get type 1 anymore than you will get type 2 . Get yourself help snd stop seeing others as having an easier life. The rich may have their money but might also have more worries.
i hate life but i have to get up snd make the most of it.
i never asked to be born but I am who i am with what baggage i have.
Count our blessing do what we can to make it better but don’t think everyone else is better they are not.
I agree but after seeing the work going on after being lucky enough to be invited to the conference this year they’re understanding and help in motion but will take time including around stigma. Plus now they know the genetics behind type two things will improve but there’s definitely a technological battle for both types based on where we live. Hope this changes sooner rather than later.

I hate it too when I am judged for being Type 2 but I have learned to ignore the ignorance
I normally ignore anyone that is out to get a reaction. But some statements should not go unchallenged even if it ultimately doesn't change any minds.

I read your post title and the post itself along with the replies; I also note that you yourself are a type 2, so I am not sure what you are getting at?

With regard to your post title:

Types 2 gets all the help Shame while Type 1's suffer all we hear on TV is Type 2 Diabetes​

Noting there is a genetic component, the reason why all we hear in the media is "Type 2" is because it is largely a lifestyle disease exacerbated by extreme poverty. As such, it is a direct measure of the general health of western civilisation. On the other hand, type 1 has little or nothing to do with lifestyle nor wealth and tells demographers little or nothing about the overall health of the various demographic groups under discussion.

With regard to the patchy levels of care that others have mentioned: That has nothing to do with whether you are type 1 or type 2 diabetic. Rather, it is the choice of the electorate who for some inexplicable reason keep voting for politicians at both local and national level who are intrinsically hostile to the idea of health care as a fundamental human right. In other words, if your area has a crappy health service, stop voting for for politicians with an extreme right wing agenda.

I read your post title and the post itself along with the replies; I also note that you yourself are a type 2, so I am not sure what you are getting at?

Noting there is a genetic component, the reason why all we hear in the media is "Type 2" is because it is largely a lifestyle disease exacerbated by extreme poverty. As such, it is a direct measure of the general health of western civilisation. On the other hand, type 1 has little or nothing to do with lifestyle nor wealth and tells demographers little or nothing about the overall health of the various demographic groups under discussion.

With regard to the patchy levels of care that others have mentioned: That has nothing to do with whether you are type 1 or type 2 diabetic. Rather, it is the choice of the electorate who for some inexplicable reason keep voting for politicians at both local and national level who are intrinsically hostile to the idea of health care as a fundamental human right. In other words, if your area has a crappy health service, stop voting for for politicians with an extreme right wing agenda.
Similar thing with people on benefits. Some people in work see the handouts and start complaining how they are getting nothing, when a large proportion of those on UC are also in work. It's interesting you mentioned politics because a lot of the time it's all about spin.

Similar thing with people on benefits. Some people in work see the handouts and start complaining how they are getting nothing, when a large proportion of those on UC are also in work. It's interesting you mentioned politics because a lot of the time it's all about spin.
If we’re veering into politics then it’s also notable that people tend not to think of either the state pension or even the tax free earnings threshold as being “benefits” when that’s exactly what they are.

If we’re veering into politics then it’s also notable that people tend not to think of either the state pension or even the tax free earnings threshold as being “benefits” when that’s exactly what they are.
I know yeah. The State Pension is the largest draw on the public purse.

The OP (who is a T1) has deleted all their posts, so the No 1 post was a reply.

I know yeah. The State Pension is the largest draw on the public purse.
While I am the first to shout "Hey, hands off my pension!", It should be noted that the reason the state pension is sacred is because pensioners vote, while people of modest means who are reliant on the NHS for health care don't.

In truth, either directly or indirectly through the 'Bank of Mum & Dad', much of the economic activity in the UK is funded by the state pension. So, tampering with it [the state pension] would have wide ranging, very nasty and entirely unexpected consequences. (Think Liz Truss)

The real irony of course is that to fund the state pension, we require a young, healthy and hard working immigrants, yet pensioners are the ones most opposed to immigration and the biggest supporters of Brexit. Talk about circle squaring 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back