Type3c

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenny33

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi I got out of hospital earlier this week, I was in for just over 3 weeks and had necrotic pancreatitis which got infected and I was in icu for 5 days. Less than 10% of my pancreas works so they told me I'll be on insulin forever. (BTW I'm a 33 year old female who is otherwise healthy, normal bmi, reasonably active, ect.)
Because of my pancreas I'm struggling to eat as it's very painful and am making myself eat to avoid typo's. I'm testing my blood sugar 4x a day and it's usually between 5 and 7 which I think is near the low end? Not below 4 since leaving hospital though. I'm on 10 units of lantus long acting insulin.

Basically I've realised I don't really have a clue about living with diabetes and diet and exercise. If anyone could offer me any advice or information about 3c diabetes or diabetes in general I'd be super grateful. I'm even struggling to get the needle in and out of my pen! No one showed me and I can't work out if it clicks or twists on or a combination of the two lol.
Jenny

Hi @ Jenny33, I'm T3c but with a rather different start point. I had a total pancreatectomy to treat the Pancreatic Cancer that was swallowing my panc'y. So I'm not overly familiar with the pancreatitis peculiarities; but I do know what my former pancreas is no longer doing and I do for myself. Presumably you have been prescribed a Pancreatic Enzyme Replacement Therapy (PERT) such as Creon or perhaps Pancrease to keep your digestive system working. Those of us taking PERT have been christened as Creonistas and between us have a necessary understanding of the "rules" of that select club.

I'm going to flag this to several members of this forum, who also have (or had and remain vulnerable to) pancreatitis. At least 3 recent members still c. one month in: @Busdriver60, @victorhamesse and @Silvershoes; plus a couple that immediately spring to mind who have been managing this painful illness and the diabetes it brings: @Wendal, @eggyg. There are several others (apologies my brain has gone blank!) who will I'm sure shortly introduce themselves.

Between us we have found our different ways of satisfactorily managing our T3c. Across the Forum there is a wealth of experience in many (most) of the daily challenges of insulin dependency. Right now we all know you probably feel lost, vulnerable and inevitably pretty frightened. We do understand so ask any questions as they occur and invariably there will be an answer from someone.

I am not familiar with the Lantus insulin and its pen, but plenty here who will be. My instinctive reply is try a YouTube search for a video; normally I caution that it's better to search within UK sites, because there is a lot of difference between Nations in how or what ... and regardless of who is exactly correct just now you need to know what might come from the NHS, rather than elsewhere. But for insulin pens any source of a video should be OK.

The lantus does have a certain amount of risk in making you go hypo if your starting dose is too great. Normally the person prescribing errs on the side of cautiousness and we read about newcomers still having finger prick tests relatively high; your recent results are a shade low to my non-medical mind and I would personally be tempted to reduce my lantus by one unit, so if you can reach out to your Hospital Team for advice on that you should. At 4 mmol/L, I would definitely eat a plain(ish) biscuit to nudge my BG up a little. No need to go overboard with that just a nudge, wait 30 mins and fp again.

This Forum has a great deal of information about different Types and aspects of Diabetes, much of it in the Welcome and Getting Started. That includes a thread:

That might start to answer your initial question; ask if that needs extra detail. T3c is a tiny % of the total diabetic population and we find many Health Care Practicioners (HCPs) have never heard of the label even.

That's all for now, I'm busy with a "must finish" job. But I'll look again a bit later. Good luck, you are no longer wholly on your own!

Hi erratic, thank you so much for the quick reply, it's good to know that there's people here who know about type 3c and pancreas problems. To my mind they seem to clash as one causes pain to eat and recommends a clear liquid diet sometimes and the other you need to eat! Yes I am on creon, which I'm still not wholly sure about, for instance a few hours ago I drank like a kale, broccoli, apple, pear drink from the shops and don't know whether to of had a creon with it to absorb nutrients because creon replaces lipase that let you absorb fat, so confused!?!? I realise I'm deviating away from diabetes but it is intertwined.
Ps, maybe you could post or dm some of these rules.... very curious now!!!
Thanks again,
Jenny

Quickly, the rules are our own individual conventions. The main rule is that you need what you need to maintain satisfactory bowel movements. The other main thing is that you can't overdose on Creon; excess passes through harmlessly. I get through a carton of 100 x 25k capsules every 3 days [edited], others take less, one member takes a lot more than me.

Yes, absolutely Creon is entwined with Diabetes. I carb count for my fast acting NovoRapid insulin doses; if the meal is not fully digested I end up with too much insulin "on board" and then have to fend off the resultant hypo status.

Last edited:
Hi erratic, thank you so much for the quick reply, it's good to know that there's people here who know about type 3c and pancreas problems. To my mind they seem to clash as one causes pain to eat and recommends a clear liquid diet sometimes and the other you need to eat! Yes I am on creon, which I'm still not wholly sure about, for instance a few hours ago I drank like a kale, broccoli, apple, pear drink from the shops and don't know whether to of had a creon with it to absorb nutrients because creon replaces lipase that let you absorb fat, so confused!?!? I realise I'm deviating away from diabetes but it is intertwined.
Thanks again,
Jenny

Hi Jenny

Sympathise with your situation and I can offer some info re Creon. It took 8 months for me to have a test for digestive enzymes with the result that I'm basically not making any. Creon comes in at least 2 strengths - in my case 10000 and 25000 units per pill. For me a 10000 is fine for a snack (e.g. cheese on an oat cracker). For a main meal (porage in the morning), lunch & dinner (one course) I have to take 50000 - so 2x 25000. My prescription is for 300x 25000 every month in 100 pill bottles - i.e. 3 bottles.

Creon has content for 3 different food enzymes.
From the 25000 unit pill bottle : "Each capsule contains enteric coated granules of pancreatin 300 mg equivalent to :
Lipase (deals with fat (lipids)) - 25000 PhEur units
Amylase (deals with starch) - 18000 PhEur units
Protease (easy this one - protein) - 1000 PhEur units"

More info on Wikipedia under pancreatic enzymes medication.

PS. There sometimes is a national shortage of the 25000 version - push for an additional prescription for the 10000 version (if applicable to you). Good for a substitute and also for when a 25000 pill is too much. The advice of my consultant was "Take some except where you drink only clear fluid. So with all solids and milk based drinks. AND take before eating/drinking". In my case I don't follow the drinking advice so consistently.

May take trial/error to find your right balance - too much = possible constipation (too much absorption) - too little = steatorrhea (as it sounds)

Hope this is useful.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Jenny,
Welcome to the forum but wish that it was under different circumstances but certain you will gain knowledge and support to help you with managing your c8ndition.
Brief synopsis of my journey as has certain similarities with yourself.
Admitted to hospital following a severe acute pancreatitis which resulted in significant necrosis of my exocrine cells. Not admitted to ICU but doesn’t 17 days in hospital then readmitted for two short stays due to pseudocyst etc.
That was in March 22 and finally got back to some normality in September 22 after seeing a dietician and starting Creon.
Then diagnosed Type 3c in Aug 23 so was put on insulin so currently on 6u Lantus and 4-6 units of Novo Rapid per meal.
Please ask any questions and Type 3c is different but in a relatively short period of time I am confident that you can pretty much live a normal life with the appropriate medications.

Hi Jenny,As Roland and Victor have highlighted there is a relationship between Creon and how your Blood Glucise reacts.
You are still very early in your journey and appreciate that at the moment the two conditions are very contradictory re diet and suggest you may want to see a dietician for advice if that is possible.
However I consider that in time the connection between the two re diet may not be as connected or restrictive as you may feel.
The Creon is there to basically take the place of your exocrine cells as opposed to the insulin which is to basically replace the input of your Beta cells which are endocrine ( also include the Alpha cells which regulate Glucagon).
Before I saw my dietician I imposed on myself an ultra low fat diet to minimise the risk of triggering a further pancreatic episode but I ended up losing weight/ being very tired and probably PEI.
After speaking to the dietician she told me to basically get a lot more fat in my diet and start Creon.That meant I could eat more or less what I wanted and I recovered completely.
Then I got the diabetes diagnosis and once I got used to the insulin I am basically eating whatever I want and just managing it accordingly.
Appreciate we are all different and you may have other considerations but like yourself prior to my pancreatic issues my overall health was good.
PS my pseudocyst resolved itself and I had my gall bladder removed as part of recovery

Last edited:
Amended: I get through a carton of 100 x25k capsules every 3 days, others take less, one member takes a lot more than me. I also take the 10k capsules with almost any snack, a change I accepted because of the current Creon shortage. I was advised to spread my capsules through any main meal.

Hi I got out of hospital earlier this week, I was in for just over 3 weeks and had necrotic pancreatitis which got infected and I was in icu for 5 days. Less than 10% of my pancreas works so they told me I'll be on insulin forever. (BTW I'm a 33 year old female who is otherwise healthy, normal bmi, reasonably active, ect.)
Because of my pancreas I'm struggling to eat as it's very painful and am making myself eat to avoid typo's. I'm testing my blood sugar 4x a day and it's usually between 5 and 7 which I think is near the low end? Not below 4 since leaving hospital though. I'm on 10 units of lantus long acting insulin.

Basically I've realised I don't really have a clue about living with diabetes and diet and exercise. If anyone could offer me any advice or information about 3c diabetes or diabetes in general I'd be super grateful. I'm even struggling to get the needle in and out of my pen! No one showed me and I can't work out if it clicks or twists on or a combination of the two lol.
Jenny
Welcome @jenny33 from another Type 3c caused by necrotising pancreatitis.
Well done on making it out of hospital and starting to get to grips with the diabetes.
I know how horrible it is to try to eat when it is so painful, but knowing that you need the nutrition.
I haven't read through all the other replies yet but wondered if there needs to be some adjustment of your insulin if you are not managing to eat much yet. Hoping you're getting lots of support from your diabetes and pancreatitis teams.
Be nice to yourself and give yourself time to recover from a horrible illness and start to get to grips with the diabetes.

Thanks again,
Jenny
Hi again @jenny33
Regarding Creon - general advice is it is not needed if just eating fruit (except avocado) or vegetables (except potatoes, beans and pulses).
Creon contains enzymes required to digest carbohydrates, proteins and lipids (fats). Some enzymes which digest carbohydrates are produced in the mouth and some that digest protein in the stomach. Lipase (to digest fat) is only produced by the pancreas so we tend to notice the effects if we don't take enough Creon to digest the fat in our diet (loose stools).
Generally the advice is to increase the dose of Creon until symptoms are under control. It's a bit of a juggling act, along with managing blood glucose, especially at the beginning.
Please ask if you have any questions.

Again Jenny good advice from Soup dragon re Creon and I find I can skip certain doses so if eating fruit etc without any ill effects.
When you say you had your pancreas efficacy test what exactly did they test was it exocrine or endocrine function they tested?

Jenny
Hi Jenny33 🙂 Welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm very sorry what happened to you, which consequently led you to your 3c condition and for the way it happened. As you say, everyone's story is different. I've learned so much from you, Thank you! In my case, I had my 2nd more serious pancreatic attack just over 12 months before I became a 3c patient. I became diabetic only 4 weeks. It was a total shock for me, and I didn't expect this to happen so soon, although I was warned about it, from a pancreatic surgeon who treated me. Even so, the shock and trauma hit me very hard, now I'm still looking for emotional support. I had to resign my coach driving job and surrender my class 2 driving license to DVLA. Unfortunately, I'm still looking for another job, that is, a non-driving job, no luck yet. :(
My life has really changed and I'm still trying to come to terms with it. At first, for the first four weeks, I had to have a finger prick test, every morning breakfast and every evening, but just last Friday I started to wear my new Libre sensor device on my right arm to measure my BG. I was a bit anxious about it, as I have a needle phobia, even with a tiny needle. It's fine now and quite happily wearing it. I really hope things improve for you soon. Please do message me on the forum or if you prefer you send a private message, by clicking the envelope icon at the top right of your pc screen. I am very happy to support you. 🙂 Take care of yourself, life is fragile.

Jenny
Hi Jenny
I had Chronic pancreatitis for 36 years before having TPIAT surgery last Oct, due to this I'm now 3c, I'm hoping some if my islets have kicked in but it's so erratic and hard to manage. Hopefully I'll get there,but right now my swings are crazy from 25 to 2.9 today. Please don't feel bad when you have a good day, then have 3 bad days, just focus on the fact you had a good day and take that as a win. If you between 5 and 7 you should be really happy with that.
We're all here to help

hi there jenny i know have been diagnosed with type 3 chronic pancreatitis which i spent 3 months in hospital just over 2 years ago , i am on insulin toujeou and tuarapi and also on creon 25 000 capsules , my blood sugars go all over the show i am pain killers too and am very careful what i eat , i cannot tolerate large meals and stick to liquids a lot of the time , mine was misdiagnosed for a long time which i was very angry about , but i cannot turn back the clock , good luck and try your best thats all you can do and make sure you ask your doctors and nurses everything about your condition, there are loads of people on here who have great knowledge and im sure you will find it helps and supports you

Hi and welcome from me too.

As regards your Lantus, I am pretty sure the needles should screw off unless you have special needles? If you tell us which needles you have that may help. Normal needles do screw on and off quite a long way... ie a good number of rotations. If they are not wanting to screw off, it may be that you are screwing them on too tight for your fingers to hold it to screw it off. Presumably you have a sharp safe box. If so, there is a needle removal option designed into the box. It is the "Yale" type key shaped opening. You put the needle into the largest round shaped bit and then push it pack into the slightly smaller half round and then twist it off.... but again it takes quite a few revolutions.
Personally I use my fingers to unscrew needles but using the SharpSafe box is the official way to do it. They say "a picture paints a thousand words" and if so, a video probably paints a million words, so look on You Tube for how to remove an insulin needle and hopefully you will find some useful tutorials which will help you.

It sounds like you only have Lantus which is what we call a basal insulin. If so, that is really just sup[posed to be covering the glucose your liver trickles out day and night to keep your vital organs functioning. This function of the liver is a bit like a back up battery system that keeps you alive when there is no food digesting. When you eat, carbohydrates release their glucose pretty quickly. usually in the first 2 hours and that starts in the mouth, but continues through the digestive tract. Those of us who are insulin dependent diabetics need to inject extra insulin usually before each meal to act on the glucose released from those carbs. This meal time insulin is referred to as a bolus insulin and is a more quick acting insulin that usually works over 4-5 hours, and gradually we learn to adjust that for what we want to eat. If we skip a meal, which is perfectly OK to do, we simply don't inject that meal time insulin, so we don't need to eat regularly with diabetes anymore. Previously, the long acting basal and meal time bolus insulin were combined in a set ratio which meant that we had to follow a quite strict routine of 3 meals a day, but with them separate we can eat whatever we like whenever we like, we just have to learn how to adjust out doses of meal time insulin to cover what we eat. This is called carb counting and dose adjustment.
They have likely just started you off on a long acting "basal" insulin (Lantus) at first so as not to overwhelm you too much, particularly as you also need Creon, so there is a huge amount to get your head around and certainly more than us relatively straight forward Type 1s. Insulin doses vary quite a lot from one person to another and it is very much a case of trial and improvement, but generally they start you on a lower dose than they expect you will need and gradually adjust it. The fact that you are seeing in range numbers so quickly suggests to me, as others have mentioned, that your Lantus dose may be just a little too large and potentially putting you at risk of a hypo, especially as it is having to cover whatever food or liquid carbs you currently consume, so I too think you perhaps need to talk to your diabetes specialist nurse (DSN) or whoever is supporting you with your diabetes management, about a slight reduction. Hypos can be a lot more serious with Type 3c so it is best to not sail quite so close to the wind, especially as you don't yet have sensors with alarms (a Freestyle Libre or Dexcom system) to warn you of impending lows. A lot can and does happen with BG levels between those 4 finger pricks you are doing. It tends to go up and down quite a lot, so if you are getting readings in the 4s with finger pricks already that is just a bit too close to a hypo for comfort at this early stage with insulin in my opinion.

Hello again @ Jenny33; well I was correct about one thing: lots of people able to share their experiences have stepped up.

One thing about diabetes in general: whatever the rules are for D, it doesn't know those rules exist! In his book Think Like a Pancreas, early on the author Gary Scheiner tells his readers that Diabetes is Complicated, Confusing and Contradictory. I am in no doubt that this has been my experience; I also found it at first to be frightening; discharged from Hospital with no pancreas at the start of lockdown, a GP Surgery that had barricaded itself in, only a test meter and finger pricks to help explain that I was seriously hypo - frequently and frighteningly. It was not fun, nor easy. My 1st breakthrough came with Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) being prescribed exactly 12 months on (Feb 21) in the form of Abbott's Freestyle Libre 2.

That was an eye opener and a huge help. Since 2022, after a major amendment and improvement of availability of the NICE Guidance Note NG17 (for T1 diabetics) CGM has become readily available to T1s and that has greatly helped as a precedent for those T3cs who are using Multiple Daily Injections (MDI). Which basically means several injection a day, including both the basal (=background, slower acting) insulin such as your Lantus and my Tresiba PLUS bolus (=faster acting for meals and corrections) such as my NovoRapid insulin. Since you currently are only using Lantus you could "fall between the cracks" and be considered more like a T2 diabetic, which means it is still very difficult to be considered eligible for CGM. NG28 is the NICE Guidance Note for T2s and CGM. Are you directly under a Hospital Team or has your Hospital Discharge notes referred you back to your GP? This is a deceptively important question.

Do you have a direct link back to your Hospital Team? Has anyone mentioned providing you with CGM, probably Libre 2 or possibly Dexcom One?

As a T3c you have potentially very complex diabetic needs; your care, for pancreatitis alone never mind your rare type of diabetes, is in principle outside the scope or knowledge of almost any GP. But T3cs are such a small community (certainly less than 1% of all those with any diabetes diagnosis) that there is very little guidance from NICE about treatment paths for T3c and still very few Heealth Care Practioners (HCPs) who have even heard of T3c. There does not appear to be definitive guidance about the availability about CGM for T3cs. HOWEVER, the update of NG17 gave GPs the authority to prescribe CGM in their own right using their medical judgement; so there is a door that can now be pushed to get it open. Previously GPs needed a directive from a Consultant before they could write that script.

In my opinion you will always need CGM from now on. Historically before CGM became available insulin dependent diabetics had no choice but to cope by fps and meter testing; and they did and they survived. But that is not a reasonable argument to deny this basic and simple bit of technology to any insulin dependent person today. So if you already do have some sort of opening for CGM do take advantage of that as quickly as possible. If you don't have an 'opening' start clamouring - today. I appreciate that several T3cs from necrotitis have already replied to you in a positive and upbeat manner and rightly so; your T3c is not a death sentence! It can be managed satisfactorily - with the right support. That support must include appropriate medications, tech and wider guidance; this Forum is great for the last aspect.

One reason for anyone's D being Complicated and Contradictory is because we are all different. Sounds obvious enough, different finger prints, different DNA. But much less obvious: different metabolic response to any one food type. For example, some people get a small response to eating peas, some find that all legumes, including peas, create far more glucose than the nutrition statistics suggest. Similarly Porridge (which the NHS suggest is a near ideal food source with lots of nutrition content and slow glycaemic release) some find porridge is rocket fuel for them. Everyone has to find what works for them, invariably by trial and learning. But they have to do this within Guidance that assumes one size fits all and Guidance that barely recognises that anyone with a diagnosis of T3c is already managing 2 distinct ailments: in your case diabetes and pancreatitis. As you've already alluded to earlier there are noticeable conflicts in your diet choices; those conflicts are not well allowed for in the medical Guidance for GPs. You will encounter this challenge more than anyone would wish and I don't want to distress or upset you but hope at least to manage your expectations. None of this is easy, certainly not at first. But it certainly can be managed - even with those contrary moments when your body isn't behaving as you wish or expect. @cupcakequeen71 touched on this; when you have a rotten day try to stay calm, get into tomorrow and learn what you reasonably can from yesterday - but don't dwell on that bad day. Sometimes the explanation is just not apparent and might never become clear.

There are a huge number of factors that can affect our blood glucose, this is something for another day.

Hello,
Another very new type 3c following surgery for pancreatic cancer.

Like Jenny33 its been a steep learning curve and while I always knew it was likely after the surgery it seemed like a minor detail. While in hospital there was a fair amount of support and information (I was in a 'centre of excellence') but not sure it sunk in as on lots of painkillers and generally distracted by post op recovery and feeling terrible.

Out of hospital its been a lot more variable due to NHS structures. It seems crossing health boards which I did can confuse things and the hospital support is no longer available and the new ones for where I live (rather than where I was treated) hasn't quite kicked in. If only there was an election or something where this could be discussed :D

Currently trying to work out why eating the same thing one days means a low and the next day a high. Short answer seems to be theses things just happen.

Hello,
Another very new type 3c following surgery for pancreatic cancer.
Hello @Standup, welcome aboard. Have you had a total or partial pancreaectomy and how long have you been out of hospital?
Like Jenny33 its been a steep learning curve and while I always knew it was likely after the surgery it seemed like a minor detail. While in hospital there was a fair amount of support and information (I was in a 'centre of excellence') but not sure it sunk in as on lots of painkillers and generally distracted by post op recovery and feeling terrible.
I can very much identify with that experience. In fact I only really started to learn about the mechanics of injecting in the last 3 days, which I asked to include an extra day so that I could learn how to do more for myself. The Hospital knew Covid was imminently going to hit the Hospital even though all of that was passing me by in my post surgery fog.
Out of hospital its been a lot more variable due to NHS structures. It seems crossing health boards which I did can confuse things and the hospital support is no longer available and the new ones for where I live (rather than where I was treated) hasn't quite kicked in. If only there was an election or something where this could be discussed :D
Likewise for me. I was living in Bucks, surgery in Oxford (also a Centre of Excellence) had follow up Oncology back in Bucks including some chemo sessions after a month period for recovery from the Surgery; it was called adjuvant (or precautionary) chemo and I was very Wimpish about that. Luckily, I hope, they stopped after 6 sessions. I was poorly most of that time from the chemo. But there was a pleasure in driving to the Hospital Oncology wing during lockdown and zero traffic. I felt like Pollyanna - finding something good out of bad!
Currently trying to work out why eating the same thing one days means a low and the next day a high. Short answer seems to be theses things just happen.
Well that short answer is a great place to start from. The longer answer is that there are many, many factors that can affect one's BG; 42 of those have been defined, to create a list of the known factors - but doesn't include the unknown ones, yet. Nor does that list include the "wrong socks day" explanation. [@everydayupsanddowns shouldn't we have an officially recognised abbreviation for this?]

Some further questions if I may: do you have Libre or any other CGM? You mentioned earlier the vagarities of Hospital Support; is there a specific problem that you are currently facing, beyond the obvious difficulty of so much to learn and understand in the early days; what insulin regime are you on - basal / bolus MDI? Just trying to get a sense of where you are in this learning phase. Have you heard of the Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating (DAFNE) course?

Meanwhile once again Welcome. Please don't hesitate to start a new thread and ask questions, no question is silly. As you can already deduce there is an abundance of experience within the Forum members and a willingness to help those new to this D experience.

Hello @Standup, welcome aboard. Have you had a total or partial pancreaectomy and how long have you been out of hospital?

I can very much identify with that experience. In fact I only really started to learn about the mechanics of injecting in the last 3 days, which I asked to include an extra day so that I could learn how to do more for myself. The Hospital knew Covid was imminently going to hit the Hospital even though all of that was passing me by in my post surgery fog.

Likewise for me. I was living in Bucks, surgery in Oxford (also a Centre of Excellence) had follow up Oncology back in Bucks including some chemo sessions after a month period for recovery from the Surgery; it was called adjuvant (or precautionary) chemo and I was very Wimpish about that. Luckily, I hope, they stopped after 6 sessions. I was poorly most of that time from the chemo. But there was a pleasure in driving to the Hospital Oncology wing during lockdown and zero traffic. I felt like Pollyanna - finding something good out of bad!

Well that short answer is a great place to start from. The longer answer is that there are many, many factors that can affect one's BG; 42 of those have been defined, to create a list of the known factors - but doesn't include the unknown ones, yet. Nor does that list include the "wrong socks day" explanation. [@everydayupsanddowns shouldn't we have an officially recognised abbreviation for this?]

Some further questions if I may: do you have Libre or any other CGM? You mentioned earlier the vagarities of Hospital Support; is there a specific problem that you are currently facing, beyond the obvious difficulty of so much to learn and understand in the early days; what insulin regime are you on - basal / bolus MDI? Just trying to get a sense of where you are in this learning phase. Have you heard of the Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating (DAFNE) course?

Meanwhile once again Welcome. Please don't hesitate to start a new thread and ask questions, no question is silly. As you can already deduce there is an abundance of experience within the Forum members and a willingness to help those new to this D experience.
Hi,

Do this the easy way until I get the hang of quotes...

Total Pancreatectomy. Turns out it wasn't needed and a partial would have done but they didn't know that until the histology. Been out of hospital for about 6 weeks so still in some discomfort and weaning myself off the morphine. Appetite is starting to return to normal which I suspect is another factor in glucose levels being a bit erratic.

I don't think I actually injected myself in hospital what with epidurals, drains and everything else. I was on IV pretty much until discharge. This also happened at a weekend which I now know is a bad time to be discharged. At the moment my partner has been injecting me while I focus on recovery although I've been doing my anti-coagulant myself - much bigger needle. I'm also only being injected in thighs as stomach still tender.

Apparently I don't need chemo which means I was out of the hospital system much quicker than usual. One follow up with the surgeon who said all good and doesn't need to see me again. Lots of crying from the specialist nurses as they don't often get to see the good news. I counted myself one of the lucky ones considering pancreatic cancer survival rates and didn't think about diabetes.

I do have a Libre and trying not to be obsessive. I have a diabetes nurse contact but there tends to be quite a delay as you have to go through the 'communications hub' and she just tells me I'm doing great. I've just got a letter from another hospital which I think is the Clinic where presumably I can ask about eye tests, feet, bloods etc although its just a generic outpatient letter.

I'm on basal / bolus and no idea about DAFNE. I do adjust the rapid depending on the size of meal and how many carbohydrates - is that the same thing? I have asked the pancreatic dietitian (on to my third health board) about courses and they have emailed someone, somewhere. To be fair the pancreatic diet side has been pretty good but at the moment that seems the easy bit.

Worries? Well the unknown and quality of life now I'm looking beyond 6 months. Low levels I can cope with by setting the alarm and having a glucose tablet early. The highs I'm struggling with - partly as to why they occur and when should I worry? Is 12/13 after a meal 'normal'. It was 18 the other day I did wonder whether I should take a small dose of rapid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back