Type 3c - can it go into remission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanette

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hi - are there any type 3c's on here?
Diagnosed type 3c 18 months ago and on Levemir basil / Novorapid bolus insulin. After initial erratic highs and lows , I've been well controlled for past year. However, I seem to be needing less and less insulin and have been reducing basil dose gradually over last few months & this week have stopped it completely as BG was trending very low, which required frequent snacking to prevent hypos. Now I'm needing less bolus than usual and I'm wondering if it's possible that my damaged pancreas has started to recover? I've been googling to see if type 3c can go into remission, but can't seem to find information on that. Just wondering if anyone on here has had similar.?

Hi - are there any type 3c's on here?
Diagnosed type 3c 18 months ago and on Levemir basil / Novorapid bolus insulin. After initial erratic highs and lows , I've been well controlled for past year. However, I seem to be needing less and less insulin and have been reducing basil dose gradually over last few months & this week have stopped it completely as BG was trending very low, which required frequent snacking to prevent hypos. Now I'm needing less bolus than usual and I'm wondering if it's possible that my damaged pancreas has started to recover? I've been googling to see if type 3c can go into remission, but can't seem to find information on that. Just wondering if anyone on here has had similar.?
Hi Nanette, I think this is a question that needs a couple of questions back before attempting an answer. What has caused the damage to your pancreas? Who did your diagnosis and declared you T3c?

Remission is a difficult concept, it can mean different things to different individuals. But the Type of diabetes does not define the treatment. So most T2s are on oral meds, yet some need insulin. As best I know most T3cs on this forum are insulin dependent, but we do have one member who seems able to manage her T3c from just metformin.

So whether you can manage permanently without insulin, now you have an apparent steady state has got to depend on how damaged your panc'y is.

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. In 2021 I had necrotising pancreatitis and was in ICU on life support for 4 weeks. Was lucky to survive. 9 months later a huge pseudocyst was drained which was full of necrosed pancreas, but I'm not sure how much healthy tissue was left. I didn't develop diabetes until 3monrhs after that, triggered I believe by catching covid. I was told at that time T3c while in hospital, but that for all intent and purposes it would be treated as T1. I'm on levemir and novorapid & use a freestyle libre sensor. Keeping BG reasonably stable takes constant surveillance and low carb diet, but I do get high post meal peaks and can often be erratic for no obvious reason. I take Creon.

Hi @Nanette

I can understand why you are finding your situation confusing!

Type 3c seems to cover a range of situations where the pancreas had become damaged through illness or surgery. As such as @Proud to be erratic says, it can cover a range of different levels of I guess what might be called ‘pancreatic impairment’?

The fact that you still need to take Creon may suggest some of your pancreatic function is still impaired, but as I understand it there is no maximum dose of Creon, and many T3cs here seem to titrate their Creon doses based on the firmness or otherwise of their stools.

I wonder if the low carb nature of your menu, along with the support of exogenous insulin giving your remaining beta cells a bit of a second wind? This can happen in T1 during the honeymoon phase. Long-term I guess it will depend on how much of your pancreatic function remains, and the gap between that and your overall insulin needs?

Diabetes can be a tricksy character, and it does like to change the rules on is from time to time, or simply ignore them completely! Insulin doses have a tendency to rise and fall throughout the year, and ebb and flow over the decades depending on factors like weight, overall levels of activity, stress, and illness/injury.

The best we can do is try to work out what meds and menu balance our body‘s needs at any one moment in time, and just attempt to roll with the changes.

Welcome to the forum!

Oh… and in case you hadn’t found it, there’s an overview of type 3c here:

Thank you so much- yes I did see the bit about 3c and was directed to forum from there. Everything you & ,proud to be erratic' have said, makes sense and clearly there's no definitive answer except to do as you suggest and 'roll with the changes' I think I was getting complacent that I'd 'sorted' my diabetes and this current feeling of being out of control is a bit unsettling. Your wise words have helped put it in perspective and for that I thank you both

Morning Nanette,
As others have said it really is about how damaged your Pancreas may or may not be damaged but my journey is similar to yours re acute pancreatitis, extensive necrosis and large pseudocyst 18 months ago but I did not go into ITU but had 3 spells in hospital on wards.
Diagnosed with Type 3c 5 weeks ago so still very early.
I have taken Creon for 12 months after a dietician basically told me to get back onto a normal diet after I was losing weight following a very low fat diet.
I have not had a problem with digesting anything since taking Creon but equally have missed a few doses and again have not tested my system without it.
They did not try and drain my Pseudocyst at the time due to Consultant thinking greater risk of infection during any op and they said 50% naturally resolve themselves.
Fortunately at my last CT scan 2 weeks ago it has gone away so sone good news.
As for Type 3c I am on the original suggested levels of Insulin so 2NR each meal and 6 Lantus at night.
I am trying to manage it additionally by diet ( low carb) and also essentially walking and getting decent control and can understand why you may consider you can get it under control without insulin.
However it has been easier for me so far as I am currently at home so can manage to control things much easier.A big test is today as we go for a break on Anglesey where there will be more variables.
I do see insulin therapy as being a vital part of my approach as it will help preserve my Pancreas integrity re endocrine cells but equally I want to try and keep my dless as low as possible,not because it will do any harm as it only mimics your normal Pancreatic activity.
Also moving forward it is important to live as normal a pre diagnosis life as possible therefore I need this multi local approach if insulin therapy/ diet and exercise.
Good luck moving forward

Oh… and in case you hadn’t found it, there’s an overview of type 3c here:

It’s about time that overview was updated. For one, it says that Metformin or insulin can be used in 3c. The current advice is obvious - if the pancreas is damaged to the extent that Creon is needed, then the Beta cells that produce insulin will be equally damaged or lost. If you don’t produce insulin because of autoimmune damage to those cells, then you are Type 1 and you need insulin. If the damage is done by acute or chronic pancreatitis, then you need insulin.

Metformin won’t work if there is no insulin being provided by a wrecked pancreas.

And to say that 3c is not a medically recognised classification, then don’t use it. Call it Type 1, because the treatment is identical.

And Type 3c is now more common than Type 1 diabetes.

The main reason that overview of Type3c needs updating is that it doesn’t mention that one of the common causes of acute pancreatitis is alcohol. If you look on the Pancreatitis forum you would think that alcohol was the commonest cause of acute pancreatitis.

(Unlike this forum, the Pancreatitis forum can’t be viewed until you register)

On that forum you will learn that alcohol and smoking are both toxic to the pancreas. I have chronic pancreatitis, probably autoimmune, but I still don’t drink alcohol. Unlike the liver, which is unique among our organs in that it can restore itself to normal after damage from alcohol. The pancreas cannot do that. The damage caused by acute pancreatitis ( which I have never had) is permanent- that’s why after AP you need to take Creon.

Thanks @mikeyB

I’ll pass your comments back to the website content team.

Morning Nanette,

As others have said it really is about how damaged your Pancreas may or may not be damaged but my journey is similar to yours re acute pancreatitis, extensive necrosis and large pseudocyst 18 months ago but I did not go into ITU but had 3 spells in hospital on wards.

Diagnosed with Type 3c 5 weeks ago so still very early.

I have taken Creon for 12 months after a dietician basically told me to get back onto a normal diet after I was losing weight following a very low fat diet.

I have not had a problem with digesting anything since taking Creon but equally have missed a few doses and again have not tested my system without it.

They did not try and drain my Pseudocyst at the time due to Consultant thinking greater risk of infection during any op and they said 50% naturally resolve themselves.

Fortunately at my last CT scan 2 weeks ago it has gone away so sone good news.

As for Type 3c I am on the original suggested levels of Insulin so 2NR each meal and 6 Lantus at night.

I am trying to manage it additionally by diet ( low carb) and also essentially walking and getting decent control and can understand why you may consider you can get it under control without insulin.

However it has been easier for me so far as I am currently at home so can manage to control things much easier.A big test is today as we go for a break on Anglesey where there will be more variables.

I do see insulin therapy as being a vital part of my approach as it will help preserve my Pancreas integrity re endocrine cells but equally I want to try and keep my dless as low as possible,not because it will do any harm as it only mimics your normal Pancreatic activity.

Also moving forward it is important to live as normal a pre diagnosis life as possible therefore I need this multi local approach if insulin therapy/ diet and exercise.

Good luck moving forward

Hi Wendal, I'm sorry you've had to go through a similar nightmare to me - for it was a nightmare and there were days I thought I might not get better. I was in ICU on a ventilator because all my other organs were failing, but like you I was in and out of hospital for the following year. I'm glad you seem to have recovered well and have a great attitude towards your diabetes, not letting it dominate or stop you from doing what you want. I share that and mostly it's well controlled, but recently is gone a bit crazy. I know what you mean about going away and being g out of routine. My NovoRapid takes about and hour and a half to work, so it's not easy to time it fir meals when away. Hope you havecazlovely holiday in Ang

It’s about time that overview was updated. For one, it says that Metformin or insulin can be used in 3c. The current advice is obvious - if the pancreas is damaged to the extent that Creon is needed, then the Beta cells that produce insulin will be equally damaged or lost. If you don’t produce insulin because of autoimmune damage to those cells, then you are Type 1 and you need insulin. If the damage is done by acute or chronic pancreatitis, then you need insulin.

Metformin won’t work if there is no insulin being provided by a wrecked pancreas.

And to say that 3c is not a medically recognised classification, then don’t use it. Call it Type 1, because the treatment is identical.

And Type 3c is now more common than Type 1 diabetes.

The main reason that overview of Type3c needs updating is that it doesn’t mention that one of the common causes of acute pancreatitis is alcohol. If you look on the Pancreatitis forum you would think that alcohol was the commonest cause of acute pancreatitis.

(Unlike this forum, the Pancreatitis forum can’t be viewed until you register)

On that forum you will learn that alcohol and smoking are both toxic to the pancreas. I have chronic pancreatitis, probably autoimmune, but I still don’t drink alcohol. Unlike the liver, which is unique among our organs in that it can restore itself to normal after damage from alcohol. The pancreas cannot do that. The damage caused by acute pancreatitis ( which I have never had) is permanent- that’s why after AP youI believe need to take Creon.

I believe my pancreatitis was an autoimmune response triggered by my first covid vaccine. I know that's very controversial and Drs dont want to discuss it, although I've had Drs agree with me privately and there are case studies emerging globally suggesting this. Its accepted that the pancreas can be a target organ for covid infection & can trigger diabetes in those susceptible, but you never see that included in causal factors.

I’m too new to diabetes to add anything to the wisdom already shared but I did want to hold my hand up as another T3c here.

I had 6 months in hospital due to AP (idiopathic as I was a light drinker and non smoker). I’m still just a few weeks into living as an insulin dependent Diabetic. Like Wendal, I’m still learning to live to with two chronic conditions and like you my BG levels are seeming impossible predict. However an old friend whose insulin dependent too said that hot weather gave her hypos so now I’ve a new factor to consider when explaining my reduced need for insulin.

Good luck with it all. I’ve taken a lot of solace & guidance from the members here and hope you will too.

I’m too new to diabetes to add anything to the wisdom already shared but I did want to hold my hand up as another T3c here.

I had 6 months in hospital due to AP (idiopathic as I was a light drinker and non smoker). I’m still just a few weeks into living as an insulin dependent Diabetic. Like Wendal, I’m still learning to live to with two chronic conditions and like you my BG levels are seeming impossible predict. However an old friend whose insulin dependent too said that hot weather gave her hypos so now I’ve a new factor to consider when explaining my reduced need for insulin.

Good luck with it all. I’ve taken a lot of solace & guidance from the members here and hope you will too.

Hi John, it's very interesting to hear from others with T3c as I've never met aanyone else the same as myself. I've friends with T1 &2 and I've learned lots and get great support from them, but I've also noticed I seem to need less insulin than most of the T1's. We also have the added consideration of malabsorbtion of fats for which we need Creon, and that can complicate timing with how quickly or slowly different foods start to absorb. Like all diabetes, it's very much trial and error. I really thought I'd cracked it till recently. I'm now getting huge peaks and lows and having to snack more than i want to to prevent hypos. I've now been off levemir for a few days and it seems to be helping. You don't get a holiday from it do you? It's constant surveillance. Your right, there are so many things apart from food that affect BG like heat, exercise/ activity emotion, stress, infection, other hormones and sometimes no obvious reason why its gone a bit haywire

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nanette - this is a lengthy ramble on my part, so be forewarned!!
Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. In 2021 I had necrotising pancreatitis and was in ICU on life support for 4 weeks.
Yep, 4 weeks in ICU sounds really serious. You had good reason to be concerned.
Was lucky to survive. 9 months later a huge pseudocyst was drained which was full of necrosed pancreas, but I'm not sure how much healthy tissue was left. I didn't develop diabetes until 3monrhs after that, triggered I believe by catching covid. I was told at that time T3c while in hospital, but that for all intent and purposes it would be treated as T1.
3+ yrs ago I was discharged as T1. T3c didn't seem to be part of the vocabulary at all then, even from the Churchill Hospital who are pioneering Diabetes research.
I'm on levemir and novorapid & use a freestyle libre sensor. Keeping BG reasonably stable takes constant surveillance and low carb diet, but I do get high post meal peaks and can often be erratic for no obvious reason. I take Creon.
I started on Levermir and NovoRapid and changed my basal from Levermir to Tresiba, which has worked well for me ever since. Everyone's doses are different and can be markedly so. My Tresiba is 9 units per day, for Levermir it was c.25+ for the 2 daily doses. I think this big reduction is a mix of much more even performance by my basal and better ability on my part to manage my days. Don't take my doses as typical or some sort of average; during my early days I just constantly wanted some sort of feel for what other people took.

I fully carb count; I used to be meticulous about this but since my DAFNE course (including some changes in what doesn't really need counting) - plus in conjunction with the huge benefit of CGM showing me what is going on every 5 minutes - I've been much more relaxed about not being too precise. My NovoRapid currently is typically 7 for breakfast, 5 for optional lunch and 7-9 for dinner. Those NovoRapid doses are my start point because when I'm very busy (or this week while it's been so hot) I've reduced my bolus by 20-50% because I know my natural insulin resistance will be markedly reduced. Such reductions aren't following a set of dosing rules they are just my adjustments learnt from the last 2+ yrs about what I need to do to stay somewhere in range. I now accept I might be a bit adrift sometimes and if dropping low after a meal I'll just eat a few more carbs; if going too high I'll either take some moderate exercise or activity or an insulin correction dose. That depends on what I'm doing, how I feel, the weather possibly or just whether I'm concerned about' the colour of my socks'. I have no hard rules, just judgement and guesswork along with a confidence that I can adjust again if I need to.
Thank you so much- yes I did see the bit about 3c and was directed to forum from there. Everything you & ,proud to be erratic' have said, makes sense and clearly there's no definitive answer except to do as you suggest and 'roll with the changes' I think I was getting complacent that I'd 'sorted' my diabetes and this current feeling of being out of control is a bit unsettling. Your wise words have helped put it in perspective and for that I thank you both
In the last 3 yrs each posting on this forum from someone with T3c has emphasised how diverse this small and select Type of diabetes is. And that is without those with a slightly different T3 (x), such as from steroid or alcohol damage to their pancreas.

You, Annette, at least have the clarity on your medical records of T3c, as if T1. Some didn't start from there, withba default diagnosis of T2, so it's been even more uphill for them to get Health Care Practicioners (HCPs) on side.

I think, realistically yet with absolutely no medical qualification, it is unlikely your pancreas can actually improve with more time and therefore insulin dependence is going to be with you until an entirely new "cure" emerges. If that cure comes, I don't expect to be at the top of that list to receive that new cure and if it involves any more surgery I probably wouldn't volunteer!

On Wednesday I had my periodic consult at the Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism (OCDEM) in Churchill Hospital. I feel pretty privileged since OCDEM is at the forefront for both D technology and islet transplants, so I see Consultants who instil a huge confidence within me about their knowledge and from their empathy. The Dr I saw on Wednesday gave me a lengthy review, an upbeat conclusion and most gently and tactfully offered ideas for modest changes.

One of those comments was in connection with the major delays I frequently get from my NovoRapid bolus. Like you Nanette I can wait up to 90 minutes before starting my breakfast, particularly. I find if my waking BG is greater than 8, at most 9, I need a correction well before my breakfast and the time of that pre-bolus to bring my BG down to 7 before eating is essential. Or, my BG remains stubbornly high all morning. Even with a fully active morning. I get a similar difficulty in the evenings; slightly quicker perhaps because I'm very rarely sedentary for much of any day and that constant activity is improving my natural insulin sensitivity. A recommendation was to change from NovoRapid to Fiasp; which I'm considering and currently undecided about. Change is going to be a challenge - despite its slowness I've got a routine for NovoRapid. But that slowness is very noticeable now we have moved and will be sharing with others for the next 6 months.

Another comment made was that my D was sufficiently unusual that the "business case" for my getting increasing tech should be positive. There was an immediate caveat of subject to funding; not a surprise. Significantly the Dr said my age should not be a barrier, medical need was the first criterion (although I anticipate and would want scarce funds go to children first).

Something also remarked upon, which I'd previously heard and read around: was about my very real risk of diabetes burnout for those on MDI. Every single day we make '305 decisions' purely in the process of D management, a huge commitment in relation to people who don't have D. I had a high failure rate with Libre 2 and not much better with Dex One. I'm self-funding Dexcom G7 which is much, much better for reliability and accuracy AND I have noticed this does make each day less stressful. I finger prick infrequently, because I trust the alerts and displayed readings. Since advice from that Consult I've raised my in range display for high to be at 12, not 10 and low above 6, prev 5, targeting to be neutral at 7.0. This is generating a lot less alerts with a consequent lot less reaction by me; fewer moments of declaring out loud "Oh leave me alone!" before looking and making 'yet one more decision'. (Apparently!)

So Nanette you might want to consider logging as much supporting detail as you can about odd D days, weeks etc and use that data to support a request for a pump. There is a Technical Appraisal (TA) going on right now, to make closed loop much more widely available for T1s. Due to report mid October and if positive NICE have agreed to provide Guidance by December; implementation won't be instant but it all should be a positive advance. Closed loop means much more automation in addition to assistance from a pump. I wasn't in a good place to consider pumping 36 months after my surgery; you might well be.

All for now, sorry its such a ramble!

Hi John, it's very interesting to hear from others with T3c as I've never met aanyone else the same as myself. I've friends with T1 &2 and I've learned lots and get great support from them, but I've also noticed I seem to need less insulin than most of the T1's.
But I use relatively little insulin, with no panc'y at all. I think it's a case of we need what we need.
We also have the added consideration of malabsorbtion of fats for which we need Creon, and that can complicate timing with how quickly or slowly different foods start to absorb. Like all diabetes, it's very much trial and error. I really thought I'd crac
May I just observe that the Creon is essential for me, with no panc'y. When forgotten the poor absorption results in an excess of insulin on board - not surprisingly. But I personally don't think that when Creon has been taken, in effect always, the timing for fat slowing overall digestion and release of carbs from a complex meal (classic eg pizza or lasagne) is a consequence of that meals overall GI - and not the Creon.

Apologies all I'm struggling with using this website on my new phone - and think I may be posting reponses twice? Page keeps crashing and I lose it all - not sure I'm doing it right, just know I'm appreciating all your comments

Note from moderator....Don't worry, I've just tidied up your last post. Keep posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back