Type 1 on novorapid, toujeo & metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie_Ann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Was at a healthy weight til i recently started metformin in addition to my novorapid and toujeo to control my type 1 diabetes. I don't know anyone who is on insulin and tablets. Can anyone share their experience please xx

I've recently started metformin (500mg twice a day) in addition to novorapid and levemir. Hasn't caused any particular problems, and my weight hasn't changed much in years (I'm slightly overweight, or at least borderline so). Anything else changed?

Was at a healthy weight til i recently started metformin in addition to my novorapid and toujeo to control my type 1 diabetes. I don't know anyone who is on insulin and tablets. Can anyone share their experience please xx
Hi Julie-Anne
Welcome to the forum.
I have no experience of metformin.
What prompted them to prescribe this?

I was sure I'd read something about Type 1 and Metformin, so I put 'insulin and Metformin in Type 1' into Google, and quite a few articles popped up. The theory seems to be that it'll reduce insulin doses, and possibly help with Dawn Phenomenon, because it inhibits the liver from releasing glucose. My worry would be that, if I'm hypo, and beyond treating it myself, I would need my liver to release some glucose.

I was put on Metformin years ago after a period when I was having to use more insulin than expected. Not very joined up thinking, because I’d been taking steroids for Ulcerative Colitis. That was fun. Made no difference at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back