Travelling abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy your holiday Judy Its no big deal carry all your medication with you
if you need extra cabin weight inform the airline as a matter of courtesy, if using
a travel agent just inform them they will deal with it for you.

I`m off to Greece in June I`m going to relish every injection on the beach.:D
Thank you,I’m sure I’ll have a great holiday and get my head round it all.
Enjoy Greece, we went to Santorini in 2020 beginning of Covid,no cruise ships,Germans,Americans etc,timing was perfect,absolutely loved it.
Judy

Off the subject Santorini original name Thera destroyed the Minoan civilisation when the volcano
blew up and a tsunami swept down to Crete and destroyed the Minoan civilisation at Knossos its
a great day out to see the ruins.
Ted xx

Thanks Helli,that’s very helpful. I’ll ask my DSN nurse to sort a letter out for me rather than having to pay at the GPS. Has your libre ever malfunctioned in any way after going through the metal detectors?
I agree,having a great trip is definitely most important.
What does DSN stand for please?

The only rule I have is to hand carry anything I can't afford to lose.
So, I'd carry a day or twos 's meds in my coat pocket.
They make you leave your bags in an emergency, they don't make you leave your coat.
The rest I split between me and me partner, and vice versa.
My daughter also has one of my credit cards, and access to my bank account, so if anything does go wrong, I can always replace it (fairly) quickly.

Golden rule of travelling for anyone with serious medical probs - work out how much medication etc you'll need during that trip. Then take DOUBLE that amount!

Not sure about June, but certainly in scorchio late Sept and early Oct in southern Crete - from Day 2 onwards I've been known not to need to bolus - despite yoghurt and honey for brekkie, sandwiches for lunch and sharing enormous doughnuts on the beach in the afternoon, until half what I'd need at home with my dinner.

Sadly back down to earth with a bump as soon as I set foot back in England!

Stands to reason, I have a diabetic Sister who looks after me

Thanks
Golden rule of travelling for anyone with serious medical probs - work out how much medication etc you'll need during that trip. Then take DOUBLE that amount!
When you travel do you put your pens in a clear plastic bag? I will need 12 pens for my 3 weeks in Australia. Any advice would be appreciated

Stands to reason, I have a diabetic Sister who looks after me

Thanks

When you travel do you put your pens in a clear plastic bag? I will need 12 pens for my 3 weeks in Australia. Any advice would be appreciated
I use reusable pens so only need to out the cartridges in a clear bag.
I strongly recommend requesting to change from the single use pens
Reusable pens take up less space, are more robust and better for the environment.
But, yes, some security guys say insulin needs to be in clear plastic bags. (Some security guys don't care.)

I've never had my spare cartridges in a plastic bag (though I do use a bubble-wrap bag to protect them) and in 26 years, mainly Europe, but also New Zealand, Singapore and the US, no-one has ever been interested in them! I strongly endorse switching to reusable pens - 12 cartridges take up much less space than 12 pens!

As suggested above, I double the amount of everything required for the trip and then my husband carries half "just in case".

Have a great holiday! Off to Portugal in April for our first overseas trip in over 3 years and can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back