To pump, or not to pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if you want some idea what it's like to wear a pump, you could always try this... Get a piece of string or ribbon about 60cm long (this is the most common length of tubing used) stick on end onto your stomach, and the other end onto your mobile phone this will give you a jest of what wearing a pump feels like...

LOL, good idea!!
During the "show & tell" anyone who wanted could have a cannula inserted. I kept mine in until the evening. Carol kept hers in for the 3 days allowed. I actually told her to attach her mobile too, But she wasn't keen.

I would go for it. The fact your team have approached you about the pump means they feel you are a good candidate. By that your diabetes meets the criteria for a pump and they feel you would put the work in.

I've been pumping since November and it has made a significant difference to my diabetes. I always ran a decent HbA1c by the number but had very few readings within target- less than 10% pre pump.

I had a wobble just before I started thinking that it might not work and what I would do if it didn't make any difference. But I was lucky to get very early good results.

thanks Nikki. I've asked them to contact the relevant people (not sure who that is) and the pump DSN is on leave this week, but is hoping she'll have some more news for me when she's back on Monday.

just have to wait and see!

Having a hesitation about starting pumping is pretty normal as you'll trying to guess the unknown in many respects...

Personally I say, if they are offering go for it, after all if you really don't like it you can hand it back... But there isn't many that do though..

My husband is also a fella T1 even though he was very supportive during my battle and kept me going on some dark days when I despaired whether I would ever get one, he isn't bothered about pumps and doesn't really want one...

Me wearing a pump has never bothered him, he's taken it in his stride, and makes comments like 'can I play space invadars on your pump' handing his hands as though he got my pump in them with twiddling thumbs and a glint in his eyes😱

He's got used to shuffling the pump around in bed, as I allow it to roam free, it did take him a while to click on, that most times he found it on his side of the bed I had put it there... As I found when he's snoring a sharp dig in the ribs with my elbow, will make him roll onto his side and stop snoring, then if I put my pump just behind him, every time he tries to roll onto his back he hits the pump and automatically turns back on his side🙂

But if you want some idea what it's like to wear a pump, you could always try this... Get a piece of string or ribbon about 60cm long (this is the most common length of tubing used) stick on end onto your stomach, and the other end onto your mobile phone this will give you a jest of what wearing a pump feels like...

hahahahahahahahahahahaha Ellie, this made me absolutely laugh out loud lol I love the pump in bed to stop your hubby snoring!! This would definitely be something I would need to use mine for too pmsl

I suppose what I needed from everyone was just a bit of reassurance about it all. I now feel more equipped to make an informed decision, and so far I haven't found any reasons why not to do it.

Will see what they have to say next week!

Don't rely on that as a stop snoring cure - doesn't work in our house - for either of us!

I would "NOT GIVE MY PUMP BACK" 45yrs T1 over 2 on pump !!! 😎

Thanks HOBIE, it's great seeing how passionate people are about their pumps, and helps me feel more sure 🙂

Don't rely on that as a stop snoring cure - doesn't work in our house - for either of us!

haha I'll put it as a potential pro but may have to get more inventive if it doesn't work lol

I spoke to one my friends I made on my BERTIE course last night, and guess what???? She's thinking about going on a pump too!!!!!!

This is scary how we have ended up in the same position without having spoken to each other! But it is absolutely fantastic that I have someone I know who is going to be going through the same things as me, at probably roughly the same time 🙂

This has made me feel much, much happier, along with all your support, help and advice.

Getting a pump was tricky I had to push hard and not take no for an answer (I didn't really meet NICE criteria) ........but is without doubt the best thing I ever did for my long term health and control. The flexibility a pump gives you is amazing compared to a finger in the air half the time with MDI. You will not regret it, that is for sure......hard work though initially but after a short time you will have your basals right and will not want to go back to MDI!! 🙂

To pump...

Hi Katie

I went on a pump last week after much umming and ahhing about whether it was right for me as my control was fairly good without it.

I am 16 weeks pregnant, so that is what prompted me to go for it in the end, as I was having massive hypos.

I have had the pumo for one week and one day and so far I have to say I am shocked at hwo good it is. When I went for the fitting appointment and the nurse told me to cut down insulin by 25% (apparently this is nromal witha pump) I didn't believe it would work but it really has and almost immediately maor highs and lows have disappeared. I am very happy so far.

I find it quite fiddly to site the pump but hopefully I will get better at this with practice.

Your worry about yoru husband....it is quite weird being wired up to something all the time but it is very easy to disconnect and then all that is left is a small sticky thing that is easy to ignore (for you and your partner). I think he will get used to it and probably be grateful for it once your bloods improve.

From my very new experience I would say give it a try - I have thought of it as the next step in diabetes - and that can only be a good thing and if you find that it isn't for you, you just go back to what you were doing before

Ruth

To pump...

Hi Katie

I went on a pump last week after much umming and ahhing about whether it was right for me as my control was fairly good without it.

I am 16 weeks pregnant, so that is what prompted me to go for it in the end, as I was having massive hypos.

I have had the pumo for one week and one day and so far I have to say I am shocked at hwo good it is. When I went for the fitting appointment and the nurse told me to cut down insulin by 25% (apparently this is nromal witha pump) I didn't believe it would work but it really has and almost immediately maor highs and lows have disappeared. I am very happy so far.

I find it quite fiddly to site the pump but hopefully I will get better at this with practice.

Your worry about yoru husband....it is quite weird being wired up to something all the time but it is very easy to disconnect and then all that is left is a small sticky thing that is easy to ignore (for you and your partner). I think he will get used to it and probably be grateful for it once your bloods improve.

From my very new experience I would say give it a try - I have thought of it as the next step in diabetes - and that can only be a good thing and if you find that it isn't for you, you just go back to what you were doing before

Ruth

Getting a pump was tricky I had to push hard and not take no for an answer (I didn't really meet NICE criteria) ........but is without doubt the best thing I ever did for my long term health and control. The flexibility a pump gives you is amazing compared to a finger in the air half the time with MDI. You will not regret it, that is for sure......hard work though initially but after a short time you will have your basals right and will not want to go back to MDI!! 🙂

yeah that's what my team said, as I my HBA1c was 10.4%about 2 years ago, then I got it down to 9.something %, then just before DAFNE it was 8% and then after DAFNE it was 7.6%. So I could have shot myself in the foot by improving, but they are confident there are other criteria I meet anyway...plus it could still be improved (if they want to be picky!!). I also suspect that my latest HBA1c (taken last week) will be up as I'd had a chest infection as well as having joined the gym & all the fun that has brought with it!!

thanks for taking the time to reply 🙂

Hi Katie

Ruth

Hi Ruth, thanks for replying. It's great to hear from someone who so recently has been through it. Getting my insulin down would be amazing as well. What a plus 🙂 I think I'd do it just for that!
Thank you for sharing your experience 🙂

yeah that's what my team said, as I my HBA1c was 10.4%about 2 years ago, then I got it down to 9.something %, then just before DAFNE it was 8% and then after DAFNE it was 7.6%. So I could have shot myself in the foot by improving, but they are confident there are other criteria I meet anyway...plus it could still be improved (if they want to be picky!!). I also suspect that my latest HBA1c (taken last week) will be up as I'd had a chest infection as well as having joined the gym & all the fun that has brought with it!!

thanks for taking the time to reply 🙂

Hi Katie, My DSN/Consultant/Team pretty much disregarded the NICE guidelines when I asked for a pump. I just had to prove that I was able to Carb Count, knew my insulin to Carb ratios, understood corrections and diabetes. I had to attend a 'DAFNE' type course (ran by my team). We were given an accu chek expert meter (very similar to my pump meter). A couple of months later I had my pump! 🙂

Hi Katie, My DSN/Consultant/Team pretty much disregarded the NICE guidelines when I asked for a pump. I just had to prove that I was able to Carb Count, knew my insulin to Carb ratios, understood corrections and diabetes. I had to attend a 'DAFNE' type course (ran by my team). We were given an accu chek expert meter (very similar to my pump meter). A couple of months later I had my pump! 🙂

ooo this could be exciting then, as I've done my DAFNE (BERTIE) carb counting course a few months ago, and they've given me the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert meter, on the basis it will give me time to get used to it, as the pump I could go on would be the same thing! 🙂 my levels are still all over the place, but that seems to be purely down to exercising :(

With the team that started me pumping it was a case of ask and you'll probably get. The former consultant ignores NICE guidelines for the most part.
I am rather attached to my pump after nearly two years. It makes my career and shifts much easier to manage in terms of diabetes. My HbA1c has been reduced and constantly around seven percent since pumping. I'm currently awaiting the results of another HbA1c that I had done at clinic last week.
It sounds like you know what you're talking about and you're suitable.

Good luck.

Tom

ooo this could be exciting then, as I've done my DAFNE (BERTIE) carb counting course a few months ago, and they've given me the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert meter, on the basis it will give me time to get used to it, as the pump I could go on would be the same thing! 🙂 my levels are still all over the place, but that seems to be purely down to exercising :(

....One of the best features of a pump is the Temporary Basal Rate facility. I always use it whilst exercising, shopping, dog walking, golf etc. 🙂

Pump update

I was expecting to hear this week about whether I'd be able to get the pump this week, but unfortuately my DSN hasn't had much luck. This is what she sent me...

"I am afraid that I tried to speak to person at Havering but htey were busy and were to call back but haven't.
I have had some contact which sounded quite positive but need to see how they feel about funding someone wh is receiveing diabetes care outside of the Havering area."

I'm now not feeling too positive anymore :(

I was expecting to hear this week about whether I'd be able to get the pump this week, but unfortuately my DSN hasn't had much luck. This is what she sent me...

"I am afraid that I tried to speak to person at Havering but htey were busy and were to call back but haven't.
I have had some contact which sounded quite positive but need to see how they feel about funding someone wh is receiveing diabetes care outside of the Havering area."

I'm now not feeling too positive anymore :(

....Stay positive and keep nagging them Katie (you have to push them!) My consultant/DSN recommended me for a pump and my PCT was in a different county (I prefer and handpicked my D Team in West Sussex although my Postcode should have meant I used Hampshire) ....got it no problems. 🙂

This is a load of old bull 😡
The funding comes from where you live or where your GP is.
It's nothing to do with the hospital.
Basicaly who ever it who pays for your consultation at the hospital is going to have to pay for the pump.
Don't give up. Infact contact INPUT now to clarify what's right.

thanks guys.

I didn't move my diabetes team when I moved house (and therefore doctors) as they are so good. I did this for the benefit of my health. If it works against me I will be making a large number of complaints to whoever I can think of!

Phil - thanks, it's good to know going across boroughs didn't affect you.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back