To pump, or not to pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtrying

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
....that is the question!

For those that have read my other post, at my latest Diabetes review, one of the DSN has asked me to consider if I'd go on a pump. This is the first time it's ever been suggested to me, and the first time anyone's actually explained it all to me and how it works.

Now, I know there's loads of people shouting and screaming for a pump, so I really don't want to seem ungrateful (as I'm not) but I am still unsure how I feel about it. I do know that I'd get much better control and improved injection sites, as well as helping me when I'm at the gym...but I really don't know how I feel about pumping.

Is this normal??? What sort of thoughts and emotions did you all go through before deciding or making the change? And how do you feel about those worries now?

I will probably go for it as I think for my own health I'd be stupid not to. I've asked my DSN to check if I'd get funding first before I allow myself to become too attached to the idea, so I should know in a week.

If your consultant agrees you'd benefit from one, you'll get funding 🙂

I had been fighting to get hold of a pump for several months, so I'm not quite in the same position as you. However, I can appreciate that a massive change in regime is a pretty daunting thought!

What I would say is, remember that if you don't like it, you can go back to injections. Choosing to pump doesn't have to be a permanent decision - you can even have 'holidays' from the pump if you feel you need a break from it.

🙂

Hi Katie,
as I staed before PCT can not refuse you pumping if a consultant requests it. So stop worrying in that dept. 🙂
Everyone has worries before they start to pump (normal reaction)
Ask if you can have a pump to play with before you commit yourself and have some saline in it.
There are very few who give a pump up after starting. Some do have them taken away due to not having the understanding on how to make the best use of them or just abusing them. :(
If your injection sites are going then your control will as well, so take the chance when offered would be my advice. (This is obviously up to you though)
Buy yourself the book pumping insulin and learn what you can, the book is worth it's weight in gold.

No matter what your worries are just ask either your DSN or on here. Hopefully One of us can help out.
Bottom line though is, the pump is only as good as the user. So if you put the work in (which I'm sure you will) then you will reap the rewards :D

I would go for it..................but for me personally, if the opportunity came along, it probably wouldn't happen again.............

I imagine the changes would be significant, but like all things diabetes, you will get used to them very quickly........

I hope your consultant/team give you the green light.....:D

Hello 🙂

I think it's perfectly normal to feel a it confused by it all. I got a pump 3 years ago and it really is amazing. But I was apprehensive about it at first - I was 27, female, into fashion, total gym-addict, single and totally unsure about being connected to a box 24 hours a day. One minute I thought, yes, I'll go for it as it'll be better for my health. The next minute I thought, hell no, I don't want to be attached to this medical device - what happens if I, ahem, 'hook up' with someone etc :D

Anyway, in the end I just thought to hell with it - I'll stop over-thinking and just go for it, see if it works for me and if not then I can always go back to MDI. Best decision ever.

To be honest I was pretty darn emotional when I got it and probably for the first few weeks too. But after those initial couple of weeks I was totally fine and a little bit in love with my pump. It makes keeping tighter control so much easier. Got a slightly raised BM? Just take a tiny dose of insulin to correct it. Got a session in the gym - suspend/lower your basal for a few hours. The flexibility it gives you really is wonderful 🙂

So, to cut a long story short - yep, it wasn't an easy decision to get a pump, I felt very emotional about the whole thing, but now I cant imagine life without it. (and of course my partner wasn't/isn't bothered by it at all)

Any questions, just shout 🙂

Katie

Hello

I think it's perfectly normal to feel a it confused by it all. I got a pump 3 years ago and it really is amazing. But I was apprehensive about it at first - I was 27, female, into fashion, total gym-addict, single and totally unsure about being connected to a box 24 hours a day. One minute I thought, yes, I'll go for it as it'll be better for my health. The next minute I thought, hell no, I don't want to be attached to this medical device - what happens if I, ahem, 'hook up' with someone etc

Anyway, in the end I just thought to hell with it - I'll stop over-thinking and just go for it, see if it works for me and if not then I can always go back to MDI. Best decision ever.

To be honest I was pretty darn emotional when I got it and probably for the first few weeks too. But after those initial couple of weeks I was totally fine and a little bit in love with my pump. It makes keeping tighter control so much easier. Got a slightly raised BM? Just take a tiny dose of insulin to correct it. Got a session in the gym - suspend/lower your basal for a few hours. The flexibility it gives you really is wonderful 🙂

So, to cut a long story short - yep, it wasn't an easy decision to get a pump, I felt very emotional about the whole thing, but now I cant imagine life without it. (and of course my partner wasn't/isn't bothered by it at all)

Any questions, just shout 🙂

Katie

Thanks very much for your honest reply Katie

...as an aside, I have to say how freakily the same we seem to be....I was 10 when diagnosed (in 92) and 3 years ago when you were 27, I was too (after my birthday) and my name's Katie haha...have I just made myself seem weird??

it's great to hear someone who seems to have gone through the same thoughts I am. I'm married and tbh, I'm not sure how keen my hubby is on the idea of me being 'hooked' up 24/7. He's more than happy for me to get it done if it's what I decide, but I can't help feel he's a little bit against it...though that just may be me putting my own reservations on him. And as stupid as it sounds, I'm petrified it may change things between us :( But I know it may not, and as people have said, I can always switch back 🙂

I'll wait to hear back from the DSN...but i think i will go for it. Spoke to both my parents last night and they are both supportive and think I should go for it.

Oh how very bizarre - we're diabetes twins :D (too far?!)

As for your hubby - he'll get used to it. When I got together with my partner he found it a little odd that I was connected to this thing but after a while he kinda stopped noticing it. The only time he complains is when it gets tangled round him in bed sometimes! But remember, you can just discretely disconnect yourself before, ahem, exercise 😉 Honestly, I would very, very much doubt it will change your relationship. He obviously loves you and will come to love your pump too.

Katie

Hi Katie,
with a pump you will feel a lot healthier, the first few weeks are a bit of a roller coaster but you will survive. It's a bit like learning diabetes all over again.

What it all boils down to for you and Hubby is fear, FEAR of the unknown.
I went on a pump after well over 40 years on injections and within 24 hours I didn't even notice the pump at all. Obviously this doesn't include the hard work involved in sorting basals to start with.
But the actual wearing of the pump was a complete non issue. 🙂

Hear Hear, NRB !

The only thing I'd say against my old man, is when I'm not having good control, he will keep harping on with 'Strikes me you had better control on injections' - well, he's said it twice actually since I got the thing, nearly 12 months ago.

But I didn't have better control, my A1c was often in the 8's.

Of course I had less hypos ...... blinding obvious if your BG is too high most of the time ..... but of course, he never 'saw' that on my surface, did he?

I'm just about only learning now (ie the hard way) that I MUST react quicker to adjusting basal rates because I started having 'repeated' hypos before Xmas and just left it instead of 'testing' them properly - and you can't!! I mean it's not like I didn't know this because I did, they drum it into you with a pump. Just sheer laziness on my part so it serves me right!

But tell you what, Himself's occasional snide remark spurs me into action - so maybe that's why he does it? probably knows me too well ..... 😱

If your consultant agrees you'd benefit from one, you'll get funding

I had been fighting to get hold of a pump for several months, so I'm not quite in the same position as you. However, I can appreciate that a massive change in regime is a pretty daunting thought!

What I would say is, remember that if you don't like it, you can go back to injections. Choosing to pump doesn't have to be a permanent decision - you can even have 'holidays' from the pump if you feel you need a break from it.

thanks very much Shiv. And a very good way to think about it! That's made me feel loads better.

Hi Katie,
as I staed before PCT can not refuse you pumping if a consultant requests it. So stop worrying in that dept.
Everyone has worries before they start to pump (normal reaction)
Ask if you can have a pump to play with before you commit yourself and have some saline in it.
There are very few who give a pump up after starting. Some do have them taken away due to not having the understanding on how to make the best use of them or just abusing them.
If your injection sites are going then your control will as well, so take the chance when offered would be my advice. (This is obviously up to you though)
Buy yourself the book pumping insulin and learn what you can, the book is worth it's weight in gold.

No matter what your worries are just ask either your DSN or on here. Hopefully One of us can help out.
Bottom line though is, the pump is only as good as the user. So if you put the work in (which I'm sure you will) then you will reap the rewards :D

haha Sue, I know, I promise you I'm not ignoring you or dismissing what you're saying! 🙂 I'm a worrier and until I hear those words, I'm going to be worrying! lol but thank you for letting me know, it does help.

The book sounds like a good idea...will have to have a look for that over the next few weeks 🙂

Thank you both for your support.

Katie

I took about 2 years to come from a position of 'pumping is not for me' to getting one (wrote about it on the blog).

In the end I realised that whatever I did with MDI the promise of improvement, flexibility, ease and basal/dose tweaking of a pump were always going to be there untried unless I gave it a go.

I think *everyone* worries about what it will be like - and some will find that it's not for them... but look around at the number of peeps on pumps who would maim anyone trying to take it off them it makes a pretty good case for at least giving it a go for a year and seeing how you feel.

Good luck with your decision!

Oh how very bizarre - we're diabetes twins :D (too far?!)

As for your hubby - he'll get used to it. When I got together with my partner he found it a little odd that I was connected to this thing but after a while he kinda stopped noticing it. The only time he complains is when it gets tangled round him in bed sometimes! But remember, you can just discretely disconnect yourself before, ahem, exercise 😉 Honestly, I would very, very much doubt it will change your relationship. He obviously loves you and will come to love your pump too.

Katie

lol nope. always wanted a twin!! 🙂

haha yep, that was one of his questions..."exercise" lol but I do understand the questions - I think I'd be a little bit questioning if he was going to get something sticking out of him!! I suppose it can be a trial time for both of us. I keep insisting it needs to be a joint decision but he just tells me it's nothing to do with him and should be down to me (in a nice way). I suppose part of me is a little worried he's not realising the impact...or that maybe I'm over-imagining the impact!!

Could you ask your DSN to show you an infusion set? Might put your mind at rest?

lol nope. always wanted a twin!! 🙂

haha yep, that was one of his questions..."exercise" lol but I do understand the questions - I think I'd be a little bit questioning if he was going to get something sticking out of him!! I suppose it can be a trial time for both of us. I keep insisting it needs to be a joint decision but he just tells me it's nothing to do with him and should be down to me (in a nice way). I suppose part of me is a little worried he's not realising the impact...or that maybe I'm over-imagining the impact!!

Hi Katie,
the sticking out bit almost like a button attached to you so no impact at all 🙂

Pumping insulin can be found on Amazon 🙂

I can understand you're a bit worried.
Carol was adamant she did NOT want a pump and refused the offer by the consultant twice, because she didn't know how it worked. Then she met someone with one, who showed her what it was all about. She wouldn't want to give it back for anything!!!

I can also understand your hubby's worry about the pump getting in the way of"the bedroom fun", but he really doesn't have to, as you simply detach the pump. All that's left is a small "button" (as Sue already said)
Asking the nurse to show you the pump is a good idea. Or maybe a rep could come round and show you..... We actually went to the hospital for a "show & tell" session with the DSNs and a rep.

How about you look on YouTube for some pumping videos. There you can see the bit sticking out of your tummy.

... and of course if you go to a forum 'meet' - any pumpers will be most happy to show you theirs!

Monica and I did a double act in Birmingham last year, didn't we? LOL

(I'd have put me best knickers on had I known!)

I would go for it. The fact your team have approached you about the pump means they feel you are a good candidate. By that your diabetes meets the criteria for a pump and they feel you would put the work in.

I've been pumping since November and it has made a significant difference to my diabetes. I always ran a decent HbA1c by the number but had very few readings within target- less than 10% pre pump.

I had a wobble just before I started thinking that it might not work and what I would do if it didn't make any difference. But I was lucky to get very early good results.

Having a hesitation about starting pumping is pretty normal as you'll trying to guess the unknown in many respects...

Personally I say, if they are offering go for it, after all if you really don't like it you can hand it back... But there isn't many that do though..

My husband is also a fella T1 even though he was very supportive during my battle and kept me going on some dark days when I despaired whether I would ever get one, he isn't bothered about pumps and doesn't really want one...

Me wearing a pump has never bothered him, he's taken it in his stride, and makes comments like 'can I play space invadars on your pump' handing his hands as though he got my pump in them with twiddling thumbs and a glint in his eyes😱

He's got used to shuffling the pump around in bed, as I allow it to roam free, it did take him a while to click on, that most times he found it on his side of the bed I had put it there... As I found when he's snoring a sharp dig in the ribs with my elbow, will make him roll onto his side and stop snoring, then if I put my pump just behind him, every time he tries to roll onto his back he hits the pump and automatically turns back on his side🙂

But if you want some idea what it's like to wear a pump, you could always try this... Get a piece of string or ribbon about 60cm long (this is the most common length of tubing used) stick on end onto your stomach, and the other end onto your mobile phone this will give you a jest of what wearing a pump feels like...

... and of course if you go to a forum 'meet' - any pumpers will be most happy to show you theirs!

Monica and I did a double act in Birmingham last year, didn't we? LOL

(I'd have put me best knickers on had I known!)

Yes, we did, it was fun, shame I didn't have the pump (Carol went off shopping) to show though, only the cannula and the reservoir 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back