this might not go down to well....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanW81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
in the office at work theres a guy with type 2, he's massively overweight, doesnt keep check what he eats/drinks, has never checked his bs, all he knows his he's 'diabetic'. But because he doesnt inject theres not really anything to remind him about things & he doesnt think he has to worry about keeping on top of things. i have told him no whatever what type he is he needs to start learnign about things or he's gonna have problems soon!

anyway it just makes me think that SOME type 2's dont know the half of the sh*t type 1's have to go through, without the injecting they got it relatively easy really.

sorry if the above offends any type 2's out there, but sometimes it seems that way to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all type 2s are as irrisponsible as he is Dan.How dare you say we have it easy you have no idea what i go through on a daily basis, to say that is bang out of order your to right it aint gunna go down well.

Walk a mile in my shoes to know how I feel.

Diabetes is not a one size fits all disease and we all deal with it in different ways. There are four of us in my office and we all do it differently.

Not everyone is appathetic about their diabetes, most of us care what happens, and sometimes it is a struggle and we want to just ignore it in the hope things will get better.

I would ask Dan, please don't judge all type 2s on one person. Perhaps he feels he needs support rather than criticism? Have you tried talking to this gentleman quietly?

Hi Dan, I think there is some truth in what you say for SOME people. Because the complicatitions of diabetes can be insidious and slow to manifest themselves, there are a lot of people out there who disregard the need to take better care of themselves. As you say, a Type 1 (or Type 2 on injections) has a more concrete reminder on a daily basis - I know how easy it can be to forget to take pills but I have not missed an injection.

However, I don't think we can say any person with diabetes has it any easier. With Type 2 (not on insulin - or maybe even with it) the support and education may be much poorer than for a more acutely diagnosed Type 1 who has been admitted to hospital and under the care of a diabetes consultant and nurse from the start. Just as with something like smoking, there are those who will ignore the warnings, and don't forget that many Type 1s can also go through periods of denial, not injecting, and maybe ending up in hospital with DKA or just running constantly high levels because they can't be bothered to work out their insulin properly.

Can I just add whatever classification type 1 or 2 or whatever we all have diabetes in common a life threatening disesase which can end your life earlier then you expect if you dont look after yourself, id say your views are not helping anyone in any way shape or form and the only reason i can think you posted was to genarate the actions your already getting Dan.

I'm new to this diabetic lark - just diagnosed in November. I agree that T2's who are (meant to be, in the case of your colleague) diet and exercise controlled don't have the ordeal of dealing with injections and the mental and physical problems that ensue as a result of that. However, I DO believe that this disease has as much of an impact on those of us who DO take it seriously and DO realise that this disease has life limiting implications.

It's not fair to tar us all with the same brush as your colleague who maybe could do with some advice and support as he's obviously in denial..

Karina

Sorry Dan but I'm with Steff on this one. I don't think type 2's have it easy at all. Most, like Steff, try really hard to look after themselves. I'm type one and yes I inject (in excess of five times a day) and one of the few advantages of injecting is that I can eat what I want and inject insulin to cover it. A type 2 who doesn't inject doesn't have that luxury (if you can call it a luxury!)

I think you're wrong. There will always be some people with any sort of health problem that don't worry about it and don't want to know anything about it because they can't be bothered. But I'm sure that they are in the minority and the majority of type 2's, especially the ones on here, try very very hard to control things!

in the office at work theres a guy with type 2, he's massively overweight, doesnt keep check what he eats/drinks, has never checked his bs, all he knows his he's 'diabetic'. But because he doesnt inject theres not really anything to remind him about things & he doesnt think he has to worry about keeping on top of things. i have told him no whatever what type he is he needs to start learnign about things or he's gonna have problems soon!

anyway it just makes me think that type 2's dont know the half of the sh*t type 1's have to go through, without the injecting they got it relatively easy really.

sorry if the above offends any type 2's out there, but sometimes it seems that way to me...

Hiya

I think maybe what you said re the injecting bit and 2's have it is easy is a little insensitive.

I think that type 1 and type 2 and all those inbetween have problems, I think it confuses people that they are called the same thing. 1 and 2 are different as is Mody and Lada and 1 1/2. They are all very very very serious and whereas you do not appreciate what people with type 2 do, some people with type 2 do not appreciate what type 1 is all about. Emotionally however, those that 'get it' all feel the same whether 1 or 2 or whatever.

I think this man in your office has no idea what is happening and I think he is being let down in a huge way by his team and family and friends quite frankly.

Perhaps you could help him and show him. Losing weight for an hugely overweight person is horrendously hard. Slim people who have never been overweight do not and can not understand that emotion either. If you have not experienced that then you will not understand what he will be thinking about that, I know this from personal experience.

If you want to get involved you need to help him but kindly, not by diving in and saying how hard the type 1's have it. By being type 1 and injecting, in theory means you can eat a hell of a lot more stuff than a type 2 can who doesn't inject !!!!

Maybe you could learn from him what he knows about diabetes which I bet isn't a great deal and you could then understand why perhaps Steff is upset by your comments.

Hope that helps.

OK, I modified Dan's post to say 'SOME Type 2s'. I can see the point he was trying to make, but maybe not very well put across, so please let's not turn this into a slanging match. I think the point being made was that some people don't know how 'lucky' they are - although of course we know that it will catch up with them, so they are not 'lucky' at all.

Not all type 2s are as irrisponsible as he is Dan.How dare you say we have it easy you have no idea what i go through on a daily basis, to say that is bang out of order your to right it aint gunna go down well.

sorry ive offended u steff i didnt mean to :( i know he is just one of the bad cases that exist in the world of diabetes and most people whatever type they are go through the daily grind of keeping on top of things. but i just think that without the added pressure of MDI's every day thinsg are a bit easier than type 1's

and to pick up on someone else's point, in my experience Type 2's are treated by the NHS as a poor relation. Care is given on gp level and not always the best advice. We have to fight for the right to test to allow us to take control of our diabetes and reduce the chance of complications. In my area, the only chance I have of getting a referral to a diabetic clinic is to develop some complications!

So limited support and limited resources.. Doesn't help does it?

Ok on a serious note...

I did get what you are talking about, I knew someone who's brother had type two and I asked "does he stick to a strict diet?" and he just replied with "nah, he just takes more tablets!". I didn't really know how serious that was at the time, because I didn't know much about type 2. It is exactly the same for some types 1s though, some don't realise how serious it is that they don't try their hardest to keep the levels decently controlled.

All i know is it was a sweeping statement that aint true and now it has been edited it dont make what you initially said right,How would you feel if i came on and said i hate the way types 1s can have a bit of cake and then counteract with insulin,id never do it because im not that type of person to offend people .

Adrienne makes some excellent points - any chance you could persuade him to come and visit us here Dan?

and to pick up on someone else's point, in my experience Type 2's are treated by the NHS as a poor relation. Care is given on gp level and not always the best advice. We have to fight for the right to test to allow us to take control of our diabetes and reduce the chance of complications. In my area, the only chance I have of getting a referral to a diabetic clinic is to develop some complications!

So limited support and limited resources.. Doesn't help does it?

I agree totally and am currently fighting my doctor to let me go on the xpert course steff is finding so helpful...

one of adreinnes comments about type 2's not being able to eat as much or what they want as type 1's can, does actually make a lot of sense and it had never crossed my mind. yes a type 1 could have a piece of cake and correct with a extra few units, but i guess a type 2 cant.

so i guess a type 2 has a much harder time of keeping on top of things & resisting temptations actually, without the use of insulin to correct thigns. my initial statement was mainly based on the fact they dont have to rememebr to take injections all the time, but overall i think things probably even between both types.

sorry for causing offence, especially to you steff, but at least ive learnt something and i now understand what yoou go through better

I think we can see the point you're trying to make Dan. I think there's a problem in the internet, and posting perhaps in the heat of the moment, that means you can come across in a more agressive way than may have been actually intended.

As you say though, you've learned that it's more of an even split. No one really 'has it worse', because we all have our own issues to deal with.

I agree that it might have be a good idea to point this gentleman in our direction?

Being on this forum I am thankful everyday that I am a T2 & diet controlled because I read the things some people deal with and its complicated, intrusive to life & seems unpleasant.
That said what I go through isnt exactly fun either. I am trying some strange things at the moment to ignore cravings for sugars and snacks because those feelings are making me climb the wall. Especially this time of day!! Lol

I can see what you tried to say & am therefore only mildly miffed with you😉 although kudos for your last comment saying you can see our side of things a bit better now.

We all have to deal with the same thing but in a variety of ways & I think this is a great place for getting an insight into those ways and having a better understanding of what every flavour of diabetic goes through.

OK no problems Dan in the cold light of day i am calmer now and have re-read your post.I just think sometimes think before you type lol .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back