The Libre ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just downloaded my first five days' data from my Libre and analysed the differences between the meter readings I have taken with my Accuchek meters. For the first 16 hours or so, the sensor obviously wasn't working properly. When I did the first test, it was bang on the same as my meter reading but then it all went pear shaped overnight, refusing to budge off "low", and on at least one occasion not giving me a reading at all. I went to bed very disappointed with it. However, next morning was a different story!

I've exported the results and put them in a spreadsheet so I could add my meter readings in order to compare them, and if I ignore those first 16 hours, the average difference between my meter readings and my Libre is 0.39. The maximum is 2.3 and looking at the data I can see that this was a time where my blood sugar was increasing rapidly after treating a hypo - the reader took a little while to catch up.

I am very happy with this. I am also elated to see just how little my blood is spiking after meals. I had given up testing after meals because I didn't seem to be able to prevent spikes but now I see that apart from breakfast, where I think I may need to adjust my morning basal a little, I'm not getting spikes at all.

The readings have also quite clearly shown me that my dawn phenomenon is alive and kicking - I thought it had gone because my waking levels were behaving themselves - it is happening between getting up and having breakfast - what I think I've seen called the "feet hit the floor phenomenon". That's really useful to know because it means I can adjust my basal on weekdays to compensate.

I bought the starter pack with two sensors with the idea of using them to do my basal tests every now and then, but I am so liking the reduced finger pricking and the ability to know what my levels are doing as often as I like, that I am very tempted to use them continuously, even at the cost of nearly £100 a month. I'll see how I feel once I've got all my basal pump settings working.

I have had a problem with the reader - the touch screen doesn't work properly, but Abbot are sending me a new one. It doesn't prevent me using it, just means I can't scroll back on menus and I have to press some of the buttons a few times to get them to work. Does anyone know whether I'll be able to use the new reader with the existing sensor, or will I have to wait until I change the sensor?

Interesting question. Ask the Abbot helpline, I'm not sure anyone on here will know.

Interesting question. Ask the Abbot helpline, I'm not sure anyone on here will know.
I would if their opening times weren't the same as my working hours! I'll email them. Just thought someone else might have experienced this before.

I would if their opening times weren't the same as my working hours! I'll email them. Just thought someone else might have experienced this before.
You'll have to wait until you start a new sensor unfortunately :(
If you scan the existing sensor with a new reader it will say "this sensor already in use with another device" or words to that effect!
Remember to start the new sensor with the new reader and you'll be off and running, hopefully. o_O

You'll have to wait until you start a new sensor unfortunately :(
If you scan the existing sensor with a new reader it will say "this sensor already in use with another device" or words to that effect!
Remember to start the new sensor with the new reader and you'll be off and running, hopefully. o_O
Thanks Sally, I thought that would be the case. They will have to wait a week to get their faulty reader back in that case!

I just done Scarfell & could not have done it without Libre ! Tested every 10 mins in the rain. No blood involved. Would not have any fingers left if I was using normal finger tests. 😎

I was giving casting tuition on the River Eden most of yesterday and with mine in a polythene ziplock bag in the extremely heavy rain it performed very well. As Hobieman suggests in the rain I find mine an absolute dream ticket

I was giving casting tuition on the River Eden most of yesterday and with mine in a polythene ziplock bag in the extremely heavy rain it performed very well. As Hobieman suggests in the rain I find mine an absolute dream ticket
I can imagine balancing test strips,device & lancing gadget on your knee & fly fishing 😱 Easy as pie :D Wet aswel

I can imagine balancing test strips,device & lancing gadget on your knee & fly fishing 😱 Easy as pie :D Wet aswel

Pre Libre it was always a case of sticking a 15ft long fly rod under your arm and doing a blood test stood in the middle of sometimes extremely fast flowing water. The amount of meters that I have lost, drowned, killed stone dead like this must have put 23% on the price of Roche Diagnostic shares. I do have a lot of Accuchek Mobile meters as they never live very long with my lifestyle :(

Give Abbot a ring and tell them that story, DL. This could be the beginning of a wonderful TV ad...

I had one go wrong over a week end so emailed them. Never got a reply. However they are very good when phoning them. I would always phone now and not bother with emails. I would be interested to know if anyone who has emailed them has had a reply and if so was it within a reasonable time.

I had one go wrong over a week end so emailed them. Never got a reply. However they are very good when phoning them. I would always phone now and not bother with emails. I would be interested to know if anyone who has emailed them has had a reply and if so was it within a reasonable time.
The only time I ever emailed them was when I was trying to get on to the waiting list. They did answer it....but the answer consisted of them telling me to phone them!

I emailed them about my faulty reader and they sorted it all out by email. I did say in my email that I couldn't phone as my working hours correspond with theirs!

I emailed them ages ago but never got a reply. However the phone system is excelent.

The readings have also quite clearly shown me that my dawn phenomenon is alive and kicking - I thought it had gone because my waking levels were behaving themselves - it is happening between getting up and having breakfast - what I think I've seen called the "feet hit the floor phenomenon".

This is exactly what happenened to me. From time to time, I have to get up very early to go on client meetings with my boss and my BG on waking at say, 4am has been fine, but I always found myself absolutely shattered by around 7.30am, more so than you'd expect from an early morning. Then one day when I had a 4am start, I had a Libre on and as I was getting into my boss' car at 5am, I did a scan and found my BG had rocketed up by 8mmol/l and I had the vertical trend arrow showing. No wonder I was getting so tired, my BG was rising very high indeed. Now I habitually chuck in a few u's of Novorapid the moment I wake up,which now keeps my BG fairly level in the morning. Increasing basal wasn't an option for me as I'm on pens and my basal's right for the rest of the time.

My latest sensor finished yesterday and I have purposely not plugged another in as it's my daughters wedding next week and I didn't want it on show. I have a sleeveless dress. Less than 24 hours without it and I'm suffering terrible withdrawal symptoms! Knew I shouldn't have gone cold turkey! 🙂 (Or be so vain!)

I find it's a talking point. I just tell people it's my charge point, and my eyes flash when I need a boost.

Have a great time at the wedding🙂
Mr Eggy says I'm daft and should just plug it in. May do as I really haven't liked it one bit. Been in and out the car today ( doing pre wedding stuff) and it's boiling hot so have stuck those bleeding lancets in my fingers about half a dozen times! Re the talking point, on Saturday gone we were at a wedding, just a friend so knew I wouldn't be on any photos, and my friends hubby suddenly started grabbing at my sensor and trying to pull it off! He thought it was a bit of confetti stuck to my arm! Think he needs to go to Specsavers! 🙂

I had two sensors in a row (28 days) and then went cold turkey - it was difficult. :D I agree they are a talking point. Can only see mine if I've got a t-shirt on or short sleeved jersey on the bike. People have all sorts of gadgets and gizmos attached to their arms nowadays but I was thinking I hope people don't think it's one of those stop smoking patches - I detest the habit and the fact that they're considered bigger lepers in society than someone saying "I've got diabetes". 😉:D

I had two sensors in a row (28 days) and then went cold turkey - it was difficult. :D I agree they are a talking point. Can only see mine if I've got a t-shirt on or short sleeved jersey on the bike. People have all sorts of gadgets and gizmos attached to their arms nowadays but I was thinking I hope people don't think it's one of those stop smoking patches - I detest the habit and the fact that they're considered bigger lepers in society than someone saying "I've got diabetes". 😉:D
I sometimes wonder if people see me and think "oh middle aged woman, must be HRT patch!" Never thought they might think it would be a nicotine patch, as someone who has NEVER in all my life ever had a puff of a cigarette, yuk, I wouldn't like to be associated with them. Definitely not going to wear one for wedding. Just 10 days to go! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back