The Fraudulent Diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a tuppence worth here -- I agree that the tone of the original post seemed a little off to me, and I fought feeling really quite offended by it, reading 'I'm okay-you're not' into it...

Saying that, I think the biggest mix-up is the lumping together of many different aspects of the range of diabetes and treatments into one thing called 'diabetes'. It's just not possible to put everything together and talk about it with any delineation or balance. Again, I don't wish to be rude, but I've ended up thinking that some of this 'lumping' is actually coming from some basic misconceptions and confusions over types of diabetes, and therapies for each. I actually can't think of a single person or post on here that seems to me to make an unnecessary fuss...people with diabetes, and carers for people with diabetes, just sometimes have a lot to deal with. End of story.

I also have never seen a person or post here that seems to imply diabetes is the end of the world. Yes, depression may come and go, yes there are horrible days -- but everyone I've ever read here is grateful they are alive, and is trying their best to benefit from the best the NHS etc can offer them.

If it weren't for modern medicine, my son would have been dead months ago. This will be the case for many. So no, diabetes isn't all doom and gloom. Fortunately for my son, there's life with it, and we are all determined to live it to the fullest!

Hi All ...

I've got to say I agree with everything that has been said since starting with Tracey's post last night ..

I read this thread many times yesterday ... and could'nt quite find the words to reply ...

Whilst I am truly pleased for you that this is your approach and how you feel and the positivity you have surrounding your diabetes ... it many not be how others feel. As we all know on here diabetes is a very individual condition .. and how people deal with the diagnosis and everything else that goes along with it is also individual.

One of the main points that upset me was your reference to "stabbing yourself " .. to me that is one of the most negative views I've heard in a while ... I response to the remark ... I have a 14 yr old who is type 1 and in the course of a year takes 1460 insulin injections to keep him alive and well .. this does not account for the many more that are correction doses or for periods of illness .. This will continue for A, The rest of his life ... or B, Till some other cure or treatment is found ... Maybe next time you will think of this before you make such an off the cuff remark.

However I do agree .. whole heartedly that diabetes is not the end of the world ... just a change in the lifestyle that we were once used to ...

Heidi
xx🙂

I'd like to apologise to anyone who I might've offended to my 'flippant' reply to the OP, it certainly wasn't my intention, and I've now deleted it. I'd hate to alienate any fellow members, I value this forum too much.

xx

Last edited:
A few weeks ago, I introduced myself as a Trainee Diabetic, but now I?m not so sure. After hearing stories from others, and reading some of the posts on this forum, maybe it should be Fraudulent Diabetic.
EEjit

Hi there Eejit,

As a Type 2 you have been diagnosed with an incurable condition of which the causes are not known and so there is no treatment for it ( only more-or-less ham-fisted management of the symptoms).
It's going to take between 5 and 10 years off your life expectancy and you are in a race against time with heart disease and stroke. ( one eminent Endocrinologist says being diagnosed with T2 Diabetes is the equivalent of having had your first heart attack).
No need to panic but a cavalier attitude just won't hack it.
The two mantras for good control are "Test,Test,Test" and "Eat to your meter".
If I was you I would read Jennifer's Smart Advice and begin over again from the start ...
http://jennifer.flyingrat.net/

Well, that really set the cat amongst the pigeons didn?t it!

Firstly, thank you to everyone who chose to reply to my original post, whether you were with me or against me. It seems that I made a mistake in believing that this site was for everyone with diabetes, in all it?s forms, to have their say and voice their own opinions.

I?m not going to apologise for having my own opinion, and for saying what I feel and think, nor am I going to apologise for MY thoughts on how MY diabetes has affected ME, or not as the case may be. If my first post offended you then perhaps you?d better stop reading now before I offend you again, because I probably will.

I?m not going to answer ever responder, but I feel that I do have to answer some of the comments made, and in no particular order.

1) I?m not going to use the cop out of the written word having no tone or emotion.

2) It was not aimed at any specific type of diabetes, but see my comments later.

3) One of the apparently contentious phrases I used referred to people ?stabbing? themselves. These were not my words but those of someone I know quite well.

4) I never said I wasn?t concerned about eye problems, what I said was that I haven?t got any.

5) HelenP, I wish you hadn?t deleted your original response, I wish I knew what you said. Why not send me a PM and I can see for myself. Don?t be bothered about offending ME, I?m thick skinned, and yes, thick headed sometimes. I?m more likely to be offended at someone getting personal because she disagrees with me, and a ?Senior Member? at that, tut tut!

6) I wasn?t bragging about my lack of symptoms, I was merely stating fact. I know I am lucky to have been diagnosed early, (I had none of the indicators at a health check 18 months ago), and not to be suffering any of the possible downsides to the condition. But I?m not going to worry about what might happen in 5, 10, or 15 years time. Who knows, I might get knocked over by a bus tomorrow, but I?m not going to let it worry me.

7) I never said ?Ignoring the fact that eating foods laden with fat and sugar wont have any effect?? What I said was ?you don?t have to give up your favourite foods.? I also said ?Talk to your doctor or practice nurse, listen to what they have to say, take it on board, do your own research, this forum and the Diabetes UK web site has been an enormous help to me already.? Nor did I say ??.that lifestyle and food wont have any implications for a diabetic??, I said ?For some people, being diabetic seems to lead to massive changes in lifestyle, and it can be very disturbing and upsetting, but that doesn?t apply to everyone.? If you?re going to have a go at me about something, at least make it something I said.

8) I know that being diabetic can mean major changes in lifestyle, I never said it didn?t, but it does not mean drastic changes for everyone. Us fortunate ones will only have to make minor changes to be able to live with being diabetic. I know that I may have to make major changes at some point, but as I?ve already said, I?m not going to worry about it now.

9) I?ve been accused of lumping everything together and calling it diabetes, but isn?t that what people do? They hear the words diabetes, or diabetic and jump to all sorts of conclusions, ?I?m going to have to test x times a day and inject y times a day?, ?I?ll have to give up eating this or that?, ?I?m going to go blind?, ?I?m going to have to have a foot, or a leg amputated because my circulation is shot?, And that?s all they can see for the future. Not necessarily, and hopefully not tomorrow. Yes, by all means, keep these things in mind, but worry about these things if and when they arise, don?t worry yourself into an early grave.

10) I?ve been accused of having a ?Cavalier attitude?. If that meant, ?Carefree and nonchalant?, then guilty as charged. Why look on the dark side all the time. If, on the other hand, it meant ?Showing arrogant or offhand disregard?, then you?ve got me all wrong, and isn?t that a bit arrogant, judging me on the basis of one post?

11) I never claimed that people in this forum implied it was the end of the world, quite a lot of you seem to agree with me that it isn?t. The first paragraph of my original post said ?After hearing stories from others, and reading some of the posts on this forum?. Some of the people I have spoken to jumped to the very conclusions I mentioned earlier and had a horrendous time until they had had time to think about it and take everything in.

12) One responder seems to be telling me to Test, test, test, but who do I believe, you, who I don?t know from Adam, or the trained medical professionals who are guiding me and telling me not to worry about testing for now.

Believe me, I am taking this thing seriously, I know it?s with me for the rest of my life, I know it?s incurable, at the moment, I know it?s serious and can lead to all sorts of complications, but I?m not going to sit in a corner worrying about it. It?s not in my nature to get down and depressed, despite the Practice nurse, and Peter C?s, attempts to depress me.

Judging by one responder, it can even be a good thing, one of you commented ?I'm now in better physical shape that I have been for a long while??. Surely that?s a good thing, rather than knocking years of her life, the changes required to deal with being diabetic may have actually added years.

The aim of my post was not to knock being diabetic, not to be disrespectful as someone else has suggested, but to try to give some perspective to being diabetic. I was trying to show that there is a life after diagnosis. To try to offer encouragement and hope to people like a recent new member who said ?Hello..I am still in shock after being diagnosed the other day..?

As someone in the forum said, diabetes is a personal thing, it?s a different beast to different people, and so far I?m handling it, rather than it handling me, and if being ?carefree and nonchalant?, and yes, flippant as well, is my way of handling it then surely that?s my prerogative. You handle it your way, and I?ll handle it mine.

Finally, some of you seem to have latched onto the bits of my original post that you disagree with and ignored the rest, but do me a small favour, if you?ve stuck with me this long and if you do nothing else, go back and read the penultimate paragraph in the original post. You?ll see that I do acknowledge that diagnosis can be traumatic for some, but at the same time, be gracious enough to accept that it isn?t that way for everyone.

Once again, thanks for ALL your comments.

EEjit

Hi TheEjiit, thank you for responding, and in such detail. I have been following the thread with interest and a 'moderator's eye' because it does seem to have inflamed some passionate responses. I have re-read your original post alongside some of the responses and can see that there are things that may have come across as a little inflammatory, but I never thought this was your intent.

Not only is diabetes different for everyone, but being human is too and I think we sometimes forget this. There is no 'standard' human that can just take a prescribed course of treatment and react the same as everyone else. Similarly, diagnosis and how you react, your family situation, your personality type, your previous health, activity levels and diet are going to vary from person to person.

It is good to see people adding to the debate on how and why they regard diabetes differently to the original poster, and I have been pleased to see that people have composed their own responses with respect and careful consideration. I hope that, from this, people can see that some people see things differently and hope that this range of reactions will help those who previously felt isolated to see that it's OK to feel how YOU feel about diabetes.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who chose to reply to my original post, whether you were with me or against me. It seems that I made a mistake in believing that this site was for everyone with diabetes, in all it?s forms, to have their say and voice their own opinions.

It is, which is why we replied to have our say and voice our opinion.

I?m not going to apologise for having my own opinion, and for saying what I feel and think, nor am I going to apologise for MY thoughts on how MY diabetes has affected ME, or not as the case may be. If my first post offended you then perhaps you?d better stop reading now before I offend you again, because I probably will.

I guess it's fair enough that you don't mind offending people, I shan't worry about offending you in future, as long as I'm speaking my mind.

I?m not going to answer ever responder, but I feel that I do have to answer some of the comments made, and in no particular order.

1) I?m not going to use the cop out of the written word having no tone or emotion.

You probably should.

2) It was not aimed at any specific type of diabetes, but see my comments later.

3) One of the apparently contentious phrases I used referred to people ?stabbing? themselves. These were not my words but those of someone I know quite well.

Maybe because you do not inject yourself, you should have thought about the feeling's of those who do and how it might sound coming from somebody who does not...

4) I never said I wasn?t concerned about eye problems, what I said was that I haven?t got any.

You haven't been diabetic very long, why list problems you don't have but it's very possible you could develop? Especially when there are probably lots of people on here who do have these problems. To me it comes across as a little boastful!

5) ... I?m more likely to be offended at someone getting personal because she disagrees with me, and a ?Senior Member? at that, tut tut!

To be fair it is your username 😉

6) I wasn?t bragging about my lack of symptoms, I was merely stating fact. I know I am lucky to have been diagnosed early, (I had none of the indicators at a health check 18 months ago), and not to be suffering any of the possible downsides to the condition. But I?m not going to worry about what might happen in 5, 10, or 15 years time. Who knows, I might get knocked over by a bus tomorrow, but I?m not going to let it worry me.

You're completely right not to be worried, I couldn't agree more! I am a bit worried about going blind though as I have some initial background Retinopathy, control my diabetes as well as a possibly can at the moment and have only had type 1 for 5 years... So obviously these things are a bit of a worry, but i'm not going to let it get me down. All I can do is keep my control as tight as possible. Although I was told by the professionals I do not need to watch what I eat, I have come to realise that I obviously do, if I don't want to go blind that is!

9) I?ve been accused of lumping everything together and calling it diabetes, but isn?t that what people do? They hear the words diabetes, or diabetic and jump to all sorts of conclusions, ?I?m going to have to test x times a day and inject y times a day?, ?I?ll have to give up eating this or that?, ?I?m going to go blind?, ?I?m going to have to have a foot, or a leg amputated because my circulation is shot?, And that?s all they can see for the future. Not necessarily, and hopefully not tomorrow. Yes, by all means, keep these things in mind, but worry about these things if and when they arise, don?t worry yourself into an early grave.

Unfortunately some people are worriers. You saying 'don't worry' probably isn't going to help them.

?.

11) ... Some of the people I have spoken to jumped to the very conclusions I mentioned earlier and had a horrendous time until they had had time to think about it and take everything in.

Think about this situation. Your child is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 8 and is told they have to inject insulin for the rest of their lives. Wouldn't you be not only initially worried and upset, but then constantly worried until (and probably well after) they were old enough to look after themselves? I don't think it is about jumping to conclusions, it is a serious life-long condition.

12) One responder seems to be telling me to Test, test, test, but who do I believe, you, who I don?t know from Adam, or the trained medical professionals who are guiding me and telling me not to worry about testing for now.

One thing I will say is that if you do some of that research you advised others to do, you will find that ignoring the professionals occasionally just has to be done when it comes to diabetes. Most diabetics know a lot more about the condition than so called "trained professionals". Not that you should ignore professionals completely, but definitely do some research and make your own mind up about certain aspects of your care.

I'm not sure anyone can deny that you need to test at least occasionally 😱 Unfortunately doctors have certain budgets they need to stick to and test strips are very expensive 😉

Believe me, I am taking this thing seriously, I know it?s with me for the rest of my life, I know it?s incurable, at the moment, I know it?s serious and can lead to all sorts of complications, but I?m not going to sit in a corner worrying about it. It?s not in my nature to get down and depressed, despite the Practice nurse, and Peter C?s, attempts to depress me.

I think the practice nurse and Peter C were just trying to help you to see that this is serious, even if you are currently doing excellently with your control and management! I am personally VERY laid back and as ive said, I dont worry about things too much until I have to... but what really made me think I need to be really strict (and even restrict food I was told I could have) was my doctor saying 'I don't want you to walk in here in five years time and have me say to you ?i'm very sorry you have gone blind?'. Only since then have I been thinking about my diabetes on a daily basis and testing ALOT more than I did before ? because I know that he was right and it is a real possibility. I didn't really depressed because he said that to me, I felt a bit sad for about 10 minutes and then though i'd do something about it.

Judging by one responder, it can even be a good thing, one of you commented ?I'm now in better physical shape that I have been for a long while??. Surely that?s a good thing, rather than knocking years of her life, the changes required to deal with being diabetic may have actually added years.

Yes it can be a good thing, if only people were more worried about their own health before developing a serious condition!

The aim of my post was not to knock being diabetic, not to be disrespectful as someone else has suggested, but to try to give some perspective to being diabetic. I was trying to show that there is a life after diagnosis. To try to offer encouragement and hope to people like a recent new member who said ?Hello..I am still in shock after being diagnosed the other day..?

This is the bit I'm struggling with. What was the aim of your post? You say you were offering encouragement, but I truly feel it came across as a brag that you have attempted to rationalise in some way so that you don't feel bad about it (or just so that you don't feel the need to apologise for upsetting anyone).

The only thing I can think you were trying to do is explain to newly diagnosed people or people new to the forum that diabetes isn't the end of the world. But why did you feel the need to write things such as: ?Injecting ? Nope, not me.?? Yes that is because you are a newly diagnose type 2, what is your point apart from to upset people who are young and injecting?

Please see above^ (had to write something outside of the quotes, otherwise it wouldn't let me post the message!).

Last edited:
EEjit

Hi again Eejit,

A couple of questions I forgot to ask ...

1. What have your HbA1cs been like over the last 18 months ?

2. How are you coping with the problem foods ( potatoes, bread, rice, pasta) if you are not testing ? How have you worked out what portions size you can have of them without postprandial spikes ?

3. how do your big toes feel ?

Very interesting debate/topic/thread... read it first and got angry as at the end of the day you can't clump all type 2's in the same bracket..

I too was on diet only when I was first diagnosed, and I was told to test, just a couple of times a week or so at different times just to get an idea of what my sugars were up to.. After 6 months I was started on tablets and after 4 years I was started on insulin, initially 2 injections a day and now I am up to 5 injections a day and I am still on tablets as well.. A friend of mine was diet for several years but for the last 3 she has been on tablets and has also been told that she may have to go on insulin... good for you if you are able to stay on diet only...

It is only in the last couple of years that I have been told I have the beginnings of retinopathy and I also have some neuropathy affecting my feet.. I have other medical probs as well to add to my diabetes... I wasn't distraught when i was told I was diabetic, I just thought oh great what next.. but I have never really come to terms with it, yes I know I have it and I do my injections, take my tablets and prick my fingers every day that is just part of my daily routine now... although when my depression grabs a hold I seem to not want to know about my diabetes and dont test my blood or take my levemir insulin but will take my novorapid!!!

At the moment you are doing well, long may it continue, but never say never.. and as for eating what you like, thats ok in moderation.. as another poster said, Type 1 diabetics have a different regime with their insulin and probably find it slightly easier to adjust their insulin than a type 2 because of the different natures of type 1 and type 2.

A friend of mine was diet for several years but for the last 3 she has been on tablets and has also been told that she may have to go on insulin... good for you if you are able to stay on diet only...

Hi Squidge,
Nobody should be on "Diet Only" - the initial regime is "Diet AND Exercise".( D&E)

Peter C

Please see above^ (had to write something outside of the quotes, otherwise it wouldn't let me post the message!).

Katie, what can I say, nothing, you have said it all. well done, i agree with you totally, thank you

I was not personally offended by the original post.I can agree with the feeling about being a fraudulant diabetic and not being a true diabetic. I used to feel like that back when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, i didn't test very often, didn't make too many adjustments to my diet or have to inject.

I respect your decision not to test or make major changes to your diet etc. You have the information and knowledge and have decided against it, fair play to you. I guess why people are encouraging you strongly to test is because people find it so useful and people come here and wish they knew stuff when they were first diagnosed because they would have done things differently. Some professionals have different standards, even to DUK and might say that all your blood results are fine, when you might have an A1c of 8%.

I do like the passionate debates on this

I agree with Nikki - I used to feel (and to a certain extent still do) a bit of a fraud. In truth - I am happy this was picked up early as it's given me chance to do something about it. However, a year on I have only just decided to get a meter - after all - how can I self manage using diet and exercise when I have no idea what a food does to my BG levels (and how possibly can my Diabetes team expect me to)? Yeah its OK peeing on a stick every now and again - but apparently they dont pick up HbA1C's under 7 or BG's under 10 - so already by the time it registers I'm in trouble....

It's like we all say - it's a very personal thing, everyone deals with it differently and what works for one may not work for another. As Nikki mentions too - some professionals may be happy with 8% and some may not. The only thing I know is that the longer I can control this by understanding what is happening to me then the longer I can a) ward off taking any drugs and b) any serious complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back