The Fraudulent Diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEEjit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A few weeks ago, I introduced myself as a Trainee Diabetic, but now I’m not so sure. After hearing stories from others, and reading some of the posts on this forum, maybe it should be Fraudulent Diabetic.

Don’t get me wrong, I am diabetic, but I’ve had nothing compared to some:

1) First thoughts – from what I hear and read, reactions to the diagnosis range from “Why me?”, to outright fear and panic. I’ve had none of that. When my doctor gave me the news I was more amused than anything. I’ve only seen my doctor a couple times in the last few years. The first time he told me I’d suddenly developed hay fever, at 54 for gods sake, then it was diabetes, at 57. For crying out loud, the man’s a flaming jinx on my health.

2) Testing – I don’t test. I’ve been strongly advised against it, for now anyway. I’m type 2 and it’s being controlled by diet so they’ve recommended I don’t get into a fluster over testing.

3) Injecting – Nope, not me. Diet only. And I’m still trying to figure out what I should and shouldn’t be eating.

4) Diet – When I was first diagnosed, I had to keep a Diet Diary for a few weeks. They only comments they made were, “Watch the balance of what you eat”, and “Eat some breakfast”, which I still haven’t got the hang of. Beloved is a great cook and does most things from scratch anyway. (No, she isn’t looking over my shoulder). No fast food and very little pre-prepared rubbish. They did raise an eyebrow at a piece of chocolate cake, every day for nearly a week, but hey, it was my birthday cake.

5) Hypo’s- I’ve never had one, and I wouldn’t know what one felt like.

6) Vision problems – Nope, none of those either. I had my first retinopathy exam last week and I’m still waiting to hear the results, but I can still fulfil the DVLA requirements.

7) Pumps – Only on my feet when I was a kid, (plimsolls to the posher ones amongst you).

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that being diabetic is not all doom and gloom. Not everyone has to stab themselves several times a day. You don’t have to give up all your favourite foods. I love cake, biscuits, chocolate, crisps etc., but I don’t have to give them up, just be sensible about when and how much. For some people, being diabetic seems to lead to massive changes in lifestyle, and it can be very disturbing and upsetting, but that doesn’t apply to everyone.

Talk to your doctor or practice nurse, listen to what they have to say, take it on board, do your own research, this forum and the Diabetes UK web site has been an enormous help to me already.

By it’s very nature, this forum will highlight the problems of diabetes, people asking for help or information, or just sounding off, and that’s a good thing. If you have a problem, or are worried about something, then there seems to be someone here who has been there, done it, solved it, and is more than willing to pass on what they have learnt. This forum is an amazingly deep well of knowledge, use it.

I’m not knocking all those people who do have to think about all the above. For some, being diabetic must be traumatic, especially those with a family history of diabetes, or the parents of young children with diabetes, but it’s not that way for everyone.

If you’re newly diagnosed, remember, being a diabetic is not the end of the world, it doesn’t mean you’re going to pop your clogs tomorrow. Get out there, live your life, don’t hide the fact that you have diabetes, shout it from the roof tops, you’ll be amazed how supportive people will be.

EEjit

Recently I started working on a research project, which involves following up people who were screened 5 years ago and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, probably at an earlier stage than they would be if not screened. I've noticed how laid back most are about it, coping well with a few minor changes to diet, medication and activity levels. As EEjit says, being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes is certainly not all doom and gloom.

deleted in case of offence

Last edited:
I agree it's not all doom and gloom, and with me it seemed something inevtiable.

When I was diagnosed I was given a whole list by my doctor of negeatives like DON'T eat sweets, DON'T sit in the sun DON'T wear sandals etc... which left me feeling abandoned until I came across these forums. When I asked for someone to talk to I was told well you're not depressed so you DON'T need it...

I know everyones care varies, so I don't expect too much from my GP and see the nurse if I'm really worried.

Hi EEjit,

It's great that things are going so well for you, I thnk a positive attitude can do alot of good.
I think for those that diagnosis does hit hard then I thnk the support you get from friends/family can be very important.
I think K took things very well, but I'm still there for her "down" times which she has from time to time.

DP

Some very good points Eejit. Like you, I wasn't really phased by the diagnosis, fearing something 'worse' at the time because I was so ill. I had some very good support from medical staff from the start, plus I'm an avid reader and got through 14 books on diabetes in the first fortnight!

I think probably not everyone is as lucky as me, and the news may not be broken to them well. This may be backed up by feelings of guilt generated by the overwhelming public perception that diabetes is a 'lifestyle' disease caused by poor health choices. It's possible also that some may have then been told of the possible consequences of diabetes - blindness, amputations, kidney failure, neuropathy - or may indeed have known a friend or relative who has experienced complications in the past. I'm very frightened by the thought of complications, but that just drives me towards better control.

One thing that I have found, however, is that because diabetes is a chronic, incurable condition, I sometimes feel 'trapped' by it, having lost the spontenaity I was previously able to enjoy. This is something that isn't apparent at diagnosis, because it takes time. I now have to plan everything to some degree and have had the occasional frightening experience with hypos.

There are worse things than diabetes, it's true, but for some it can be the most distressing thing that has ever happened to them. My experience through forums like this is that once people learn more about the condition, they become more confident with their future and it becomes less of an issue.

One of the advantages of being diagnosed when a bit more ancient is probably the fact that the restrictions which apply to the more youthful are not so depressing now.

There is far too much c*** written and debated.

Everyone is different and there are no identical reactions to diabetes. It won't go away, but if you control it, your lifestyle needn't change too much.

The carb / no carb brigade irritate me in as much as having recently suffered septicaemia after admission to HDU with acute cholycistitis and subsequently on an almost zero fat diet, there is no choice.

Two consultants have also remarked upon my Ac1 improvement and general health since cutting out saturated fats and drastically limiting intake of unsaturated fats.

Rant over.
I'll crawl back under my stone for a while.

Hi Eejit

My Doctor tried to scare me by telling me (in a very low voice) that I had a 24% chance of having a heart attack. My resonse - Great, that means a 76% chance that I won't. He was somewhat annoyed because I didn't react how i was supposed to.

Join the club.

restrictions & spontaneity

If diagnosed with type 2 diabetes aged 60 years plus, some restrictions won't have any effect on you eg you can't start a military career or start working overwinter in Antarctica at that age, regardless of diabetes and / or insulin, and you're less likely to want to train as a SCUBA instructor etc, than if you were diagnosed with type 1 aged 30 years, as a recent marine biology graduate, for example. But in neither example does life stop being fun and exciting.
Perhaps the biggest difference between these 2 (1 of which is hypothetical) is that type 1 is far more likely to be diagnosed before any complications develop than type 2, which often goes undiagnosed for years, by which time complications may have already happened; and type 1s can adjust insulin doses to cope with almost any food intake, while avoiding too much junk food.
Northerner - for type 1s, I find a trouser pocket full of jelly babies and a couple of muesli bars in a cag and rucksack pocket, followed by reduced insulin for the next few hours, permits lots of spontaneous activity.

You're not alone, I've read some stories and thought my word how lucky (?) am I, I don't have half the issues others do (Yet!!) and after a while wondered if I actually had this dreaded disease! But alas I darn well do so I'll be around here for some time yet. I agree it's not the end of the world, and the first thing nursey said to me was this isn't going to change your lifestyle! Well it didn't at first but in all honesty it has to varying degrees now. I also didn't really react at all, also quite laid back, I think wifey and ma were more scared! I think the great thing about this place is that no matter how well controlled you are or not everyone here is treated the same, it's great.

Sorry if this offends, but after reading your post I agree with your name,

ps lucky you on not having to stab yourself several times a day, annoyed yes, end of the world being diabetic NO,

I must say you have probably offended more then 1 with that post especially the pump users , your brush off approach maybe your way of dealing with it but for alot in here having to stab ourselves as you say is part and parcel of it also im t2 and i test daily it is no fluster for me unless i make it one , as been said we are all individuals we do what we do cause it suits us

Sorry if this offends, but after reading your post I agree with your name,

ps lucky you on not having to stab yourself several times a day, annoyed yes, end of the world being diabetic NO,

Yes very true Tracey... Not everyone is blessed with no complications and
can come to terms with Diabetes so quickly . Also ... no complications now doesnt mean no complications ever no matter how good and "non-diabetic" you feel now . I coasted along for several YEARS and felt fine until I keeled over one day and ended up in hospital with DKA , none of us are Immortal and immune . Oh I also could eat what I wanted and didnt have to "stab myself several times a day! " I do now though ... Quite a few times a day in fact ! You never know what the future holds for you .....

Last edited:
A few weeks ago, I introduced myself as a Trainee Diabetic, but now I?m not so sure. After hearing stories from others, and reading some of the posts on this forum, maybe it should be Fraudulent Diabetic.

Don?t get me wrong, I am diabetic, but I?ve had nothing compared to some:

1) First thoughts ? from what I hear and read, reactions to the diagnosis range from ?Why me??, to outright fear and panic. I?ve had none of that. When my doctor gave me the news I was more amused than anything. I?ve only seen my doctor a couple times in the last few years. The first time he told me I?d suddenly developed hay fever, at 54 for gods sake, then it was diabetes, at 57. For crying out loud, the man?s a flaming jinx on my health.

2) Testing ? I don?t test. I?ve been strongly advised against it, for now anyway. I?m type 2 and it?s being controlled by diet so they?ve recommended I don?t get into a fluster over testing.

3) Injecting ? Nope, not me. Diet only. And I?m still trying to figure out what I should and shouldn?t be eating.

4) Diet ? When I was first diagnosed, I had to keep a Diet Diary for a few weeks. They only comments they made were, ?Watch the balance of what you eat?, and ?Eat some breakfast?, which I still haven?t got the hang of. Beloved is a great cook and does most things from scratch anyway. (No, she isn?t looking over my shoulder). No fast food and very little pre-prepared rubbish. They did raise an eyebrow at a piece of chocolate cake, every day for nearly a week, but hey, it was my birthday cake.

5) Hypo?s- I?ve never had one, and I wouldn?t know what one felt like.

6) Vision problems ? Nope, none of those either. I had my first retinopathy exam last week and I?m still waiting to hear the results, but I can still fulfil the DVLA requirements.

7) Pumps ? Only on my feet when I was a kid, (plimsolls to the posher ones amongst you).

I suppose what I?m trying to say is that being diabetic is not all doom and gloom. Not everyone has to stab themselves several times a day. You don?t have to give up all your favourite foods. I love cake, biscuits, chocolate, crisps etc., but I don?t have to give them up, just be sensible about when and how much. For some people, being diabetic seems to lead to massive changes in lifestyle, and it can be very disturbing and upsetting, but that doesn?t apply to everyone.

Talk to your doctor or practice nurse, listen to what they have to say, take it on board, do your own research, this forum and the Diabetes UK web site has been an enormous help to me already.

By it?s very nature, this forum will highlight the problems of diabetes, people asking for help or information, or just sounding off, and that?s a good thing. If you have a problem, or are worried about something, then there seems to be someone here who has been there, done it, solved it, and is more than willing to pass on what they have learnt. This forum is an amazingly deep well of knowledge, use it.

I?m not knocking all those people who do have to think about all the above. For some, being diabetic must be traumatic, especially those with a family history of diabetes, or the parents of young children with diabetes, but it?s not that way for everyone.

If you?re newly diagnosed, remember, being a diabetic is not the end of the world, it doesn?t mean you?re going to pop your clogs tomorrow. Get out there, live your life, don?t hide the fact that you have diabetes, shout it from the roof tops, you?ll be amazed how supportive people will be.

EEjit

I'm afraid I agree with Tracey on this one...

Ive been refraining from replying to this thread since I first read it, incase I come across as being rude.

First of all you are type 2 and this is very different from being type 1. Most of those things you have listed are thing that only affect type 1s and a small minority of type 2s. Secondly we aren't all depresive recluses you know! And if someone has become depressed and withdrawn im sure it is for perfectly good and personal reasons! Just because you are different there is no need brag that you dont have any of the problems you have listed. Was there any need for that?!

Like many others have said... I didnt think it was the end of the world when I was diagnosed, it didnt phase me at all, im far too laid back. I cried when I was told I would need to inject, but that was because the needles they used were huge, I didnt know what it would entail and I was a 'young' 18 year old. Anyway, me defending myself wasnt even the point I was trying to make! (which is why it's taken me this long to respond).

I guess what im trying to say is...

Who said being diabetic is the end of the world? Who isnt living their life? Who has said they think they are about to 'pop their clogs?'. Why list problems that are completely irrelevant to you?

If the posts youve seen are mostly down in the dumps negative posts, maybe that's because they are the main concerns of people living with diabetes...

If you aren't concerned about eye problems then im really sorry to tell you this but u should probably think about it a bit and then come back in 10 years time and we'll talk about complications.

I'm afraid I agree with Tracey on this one...

........If you aren't concerned about eye problems then im really sorry to tell you this but u should probably think about it a bit and then come back in 10 years time and we'll talk about complications.

Called back for a retinal scan tomorrow. Only 7 months since last one which was OK but having lost use of one eye, I suppose they're being extra cautious.

Once gall bladder is whipped out, got to have half a finger removed.
I still think I'm a lucky guy having gone so many years without these irritating complications.

Still miss fish and chips :(

I am sure you put this post up with the best of intentions - and to try to help people newly diagnosed to feel better about things.🙂

Unfortunately the problem with written text is that it doesnt have 'tone' or 'emotion' - so sometimes reading things can sound negative - when in fact they were meant as a positive message! I suspect this is why people are reacting to phrases like 'stabbing yourself' etc..

I am sure you are taking things in your stride - and thats brilliant - but for some people - this sort of diagnosis can be devastating and these people need to feel that there are answers out there and that they are capable of changing things around. Ignoring the fact that eating foods laden with fat and sugar wont have any effect is advice that is ill-conceived. Quite simply - you cant eat what you want when you want if your a type 2 - it will have an affect and will probably increase the risks which in turn will lead to a type 2 having to inject insulin. As you will have read on this forum - there are plenty of people suffering the complications of diabetes - and this is the reality of diabetes - saying that lifestyle and food wont have any implications for a diabetic is incorrect. If you choose to ignore the risks - then obviously this is your choice - but it should be remembered that other people choose to take a more responsible attitude towards their diagnosis and hopefully these people will, with good management, be able to avoid the well -documented risks associated with diabetes and the mis-management of it.

I respect the fact that you choose to take a relaxed view of this condition - but have respect for the people who take a different view of it. These people work very hard to change their lifestyle and diets etc and this should be applauded. My son is type 1 and is one of those that used to 'stab' themselves - not due to mis-management or poor diet - due to the fact that type 1 is treated very differently to type 2 - he has no choice. Happily he is now 'pumping' and this has made his/our lives so much easier - but the risks are still there - and hopefully with good management we can try to eliminate those risks.:D
Bev

I've given some thought to how to respond to Eejit's post and wanted to congratulate Bev on her excellent reply

My story is different to Eejit's in so many ways. I reacted badly to the news - partly I suspect because I had seen the complications of diabetes in my nursing days particularly in legs and that scared me. Unfortunately it now seems I'd been diabetic for some years before diagnosis so I was straight on to medication and more was added within 3 months as despite increasing exercise and improving my diet, my diabetes was not becoming manageable. Second lot of medication started causing hypoglycaemia so testing before driving became essential and then trying to work out what I could eat started - testing was helpful in that

My vision didn't seem particularly affected by my changes in blood glucose but damage was already done so now have 6 monthly retinopathy screening and instructions to keep excellent control. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Eejit's diabetes has been diagnosed in time for him to avoid this

However, I am in strong agreement that being diabetic is not all doom and gloom - I'm now in better physical shape that I have been for a long while, and back in clothes that I haven't worn in many a year and celebrating my purchase today of size a 10 pair of Sainsbury's pyjamas. I have made huge changes in my lifestyle that have affected friends and family too but even though those changes were difficult and challenging they have become a way of life and things have become easier.

This forum is so useful - people who are living with diabetes daily have very different insights to the health care professionals I deal with. I am grateful that I do not have the challenges of many members and know that however daft my question or query someone will have an idea about what might or might not work

I've been biting my tongue on replying to this one since I saw it go up. I'm afraid that it took slightly more courageous people than myself to step forward and say that this is somewhat insulting.

As Bev said, it could be that a lot of what was posted that I'm taking this way is simply due to the tone with which I am reading it. The internet is not a perfect medium after all, and things can get taken the wrong way.

And to be honest,I'm very pleased for you that you find that your diabetes doesn't affect your life much. I hope it remains that way for you. However, what you have to realise is that for some of us, it DOES affect the way that we live our lives - Types 1, 2, MODY, 1.5, gestational etc, regardless. I know that it made a lot of changes on my outlook of things, of when I eat, how I eat, how I treat myself, and so on. I've had to, otherwise it would be dangerous for me.

The attitude that you're presenting is all well and good, and it may be your way of coping, but I would suggest that you don't deny the reality that this IS a serious condition, and that complications are a real possibility. Just because you haven't got them now (for which, again, I'm very pleased for you), does not mean that you couldn't develop them in the future. This is not me being 'doom and gloom'. This is me being straight down the line.

I think what you posted, which as someone else said, I'm sure was intended in the best spirit, does in my opinion come over as being patronising, with rather the attitude of 'I didn't get upset or concerned - why did you?'. I was upset and frightened when I was told I had to go into hospital, because on the whole I'm pretty healthy and have never had cause to. I didn't know what was happening, and I was scared. Which I personally feel that anyone is entitled to feel when they're told that they have something like diabetes that they're going to have to deal with for the rest of their life (or until a cure is found, fingers crossed).

I'm not 'doom and gloom' on a daily basis. On the contrary, I thinK i'm fairly upbeat and positive on the most part, but this is a difficult and complicated condition to manage, and I think that all the people that I've met on here do a heck of a good job with it, and stay positive and supportive of each other, and the different ways we all go about handling things.

I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, and I wish you many years with no further complications.

Becky

Going back to Eejit's original thread, it's all based around "If you?re newly diagnosed, remember, being a diabetic is not the end of the world, it doesn?t mean you?re going to pop your clogs tomorrow." This seems a fair assessment of how many adults find being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes - something I as someone with type 1 can't help with personal experience(s). It doesn't reflect on what it's like for children or younger adults to get type 1 / MODY / LADA, nor does it mean that complications will never happen, just that things don't usually all go bad at once, immediately after diagnosis. The original post was written, I am assuming, with the aim of reassuring people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. If I were offended by the post / thread, I'd keep away, recognising that it might help others in very different situations, just as I stay away from insulin pump threads, for example, as a pump wouldn't suit me, although I have given the matter some thought.

I agree with that up to a point, and I honestly do realise that everyone's entitled to their own opinion - otherwise I wouldn't put across my own! 🙂, and that this is probably mostly being aimed at Type 2's.

However, on the flip side, if you didn't realise that this mostly relating to Type 2 (as there are are many references to things (pumps, injecting, etc) which are more common ground for Type 1's), and you read this seeking reassurance because you ARE feeling concerned about things, reading somebody having what seems (as I say, internet is not the perfect medium for expression) like an attitude of 'oh everything's fine, you shouldn't be shocked, it's not a big problem, it won't effect you in any way', might not be exactly what you want to read, and may make you think that you're strange or weak for feeling differently.

I'm not meaning any of this to come over confrontationally, I would really like to make that clear. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back