• We are improving our news section on our website. Please share your thoughts here: News Survey

the first year type 2 diabetes

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just finished reading this book this morning by Gretchen Becker now as it's my first diabetic book i have read i may be abit biased on this and until i read others please excuse me if i seem a little over excited lol
This book was a truly fantastic book to read and if your a fellow t2 like myself this is the book for you , everything was covered perfectly and explained so easily,I think a benifit for this book is the author herself is t2 and she speaks so candidly about her experiences that it draws you in entirely they was times when i was reading through and i thought yes i have been there in that situation i can totally understand what you're feeling .

The books layout was very good also starting at day one and going through to the final day in the year i particularly like day 1 is it my fault ? because when i was diagnosed i felt that way blaming myself for not being more careful and looking after my body etc etc , also alot of things she talks about you dont even think of until you start reading it was a real eye opener ,

Anyways to sum it all up i would certainly reccommend this book i did not want to put it down once i started reading it

Last edited:
Reactions: Ljc

Vanessa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Steff - so pleased you found this useful. It is one that I keep returning to time and time again as I realise I've forgotton or mis-remembered something

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
yea vanessa i do the same all the time if i say something or am abit puzzled im like wheres that book it will help me out lol x

ceara

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Ladies

I have just ordered this book from Amazon as you both seem to feel it was useful.

Ceara

Reactions: Ljc

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
well done ceara you wont be dissapointed x

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
going to order this now!!!

My Dr actually said that it was my fault because ive put weight on!

Julie

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
yes spirit you wont be dissaponted this book was amazing from start to finish
What your dr said is very unsupportive :(:( that not what you want to hear at all, there job profession is one of kindness and supportivness this person obviously was not.

Vanessa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well - as you will see in the book, diabetes may be why we put weight on and not necessarily the other way round! Some GPs really try your patience - mine, bless him, said that he wouldn't know how on earth he'd fit the exercise/diet regime into his lifestyle it it were him

sweetsatin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Thank you Thank you Steff
I recieved this book yesterday :)
Its fantastic, very pleased, easy to understand and can now stop blaming myself for being diabetic & accept i have it & got to cope with it for the rest of my life.
thats the hardest bit acceptance & being in denial :(
Anyway this book is very hard to put down & would recommend this book to anyone with type 2 Diabetes.
Once again thank you Steff for the recommendation good 1.
So glad i found this group & this thread.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
aww thats not a problem i knew like myself whoever read this book would reccommend it highly as well

RachelT

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'd also recommend this book

Seriously, i got this book out of my local library the first week i was diagnosed and i think it's one of the best. The style is good, the writer is sympathetic and i find it very reassuring.

MargB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I currently have this book out of the library and working my way through it. It is good and very helpful but not sure I want to buy it.

ladyengineer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I bought this book a while ago when I started reading the forum. Unfortunately as it arrived I'd had a bad experience with the doctors and had fallen in the the black hole of denial so it got tossed to the side of the bed and started leering at me :(
When I got the appointment for my six month blood test I started thinking about everything again and decided it wasn't going away and maybe I should have some clue what they were doing and why. I've almost completely read it in a couple of weeks and am finding it very helpful in understanding what diabetes is and more importantly why diet and exercise are important. It's difficult to take the old line "lose some weight" seriously if it feels like the only thing the doctor says to you. Reading this book has really helped me understand why I should lose weight because it's explaining why it affects me as someone with diabetes.

If I never get another thing from this forum the recommendation of this book is priceless! Thank you.

macast

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've ordered a copy today :) will let you know what I think of it... but I'm sure it will be useful as I have so many questions and don't know where to start or how to formulate the question even LOL

Nicky1970

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I bought a copy of this book recently. So far I have found it an easy read and very informative, far better than the handful of books I found at the library.

macast

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm finding this book to be brilliantly informative :) I can't put it down :eek:

I suspect it will become my diabetic 'bible' ;)

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm finding this book to be brilliantly informative :) I can't put it down :eek:

Marcie yes that is you ;) I was the exact same i stillr efer back to it now nearly 2 years down the line x

Sheilagh1958

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Its an excellent book isnt it Marcie and really explains things well. Will go and get mine out again now and re-read parts of it that I will probably understand better now 4 months down the line. And I am sure it will give me an extra kick of inspiration and determination.

Another book that has helped me is GI diet for dummies. Good read and some nice recipies.

Last edited:

alisonz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Best thing I ever bought was this book, definitely my "bible"

macast

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
took my copy on my trip to London..... never got chance to read it as my OH wouldn't give it back:eek: he read it all the way down on the train.... and picked it up again at the hotel. brilliant!! saved me explaining things :rolleyes: