• We are improving our news section on our website. Please share your thoughts here: News Survey

the first year type 2 diabetes

greyposter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2,this Monday past.I've ordered the same book today. Had a eye test yesterday as well.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed with type 2,this Monday past.I've ordered the same book today. Had a eye test yesterday as well.

Hi Greyposter, welcome to the forum :) Hope the results from the eye test are good. There are lots of other resources and links in our 'Useful Links' thread, so do have a browse, and let us know if there is any way we can help or questions we can answer for you :)

greyposter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Eyetest for possible damage was good but cataracts (tiny)are on the way.Need new glasses but will wait until my 'sugar review.Thanks for the welcome.

Wirralass

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Giving this esential book a bump ~ written by Gretchen Becker and initially recommended by @Steff in April 2009.
www.amazon.co

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed this week. Got a copy and already half way through. It is a great read and very informative.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Reading it on my kindle seems to be really good but unsure in the UK we will get the same treatment for type 2. Here all I get said politely that it's my own fault if I did not let myself get so fat. Lose weight the problem will go away it is self-inflicted,

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Reading it on my kindle seems to be really good but unsure in the UK we will get the same treatment for type 2. Here all I get said politely that it's my own fault if I did not let myself get so fat. Lose weight the problem will go away it is self-inflicted,
That is simply not true, and if it was a healthcare professional who said that then they are showing their ignorance :( Over half the population of the UK is overweight or obese, yet only around 8% of the population has diabetes, so getting fat isn't the reason and no-one should blame themselves :( It's actually possible that it works the other way around - those with a genetic/family predisposition for diabetes may gain weight regardless of their diet as their pancreas attempts to compensate for high blood sugar levels by releasing more and more insulin. More insulin can lead to more glucose not used for energy being stored as fat.

It's more than often luck of the draw, and in fact there is a significant percentage of people diagnosed with Type 2 who were fit, active and not overweight at diagnosis - it's a complex condition, and for too long people have stereotyped it as 'too many pies' :( You're here, seeking help, advice and support from those who have found good strategies for getting their diabetes under good control, so you are well on your way to joining them :)

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That is simply not true, and if it was a healthcare professional who said that then they are showing their ignorance :( Over half the population of the UK is overweight or obese, yet only around 8% of the population has diabetes, so getting fat isn't the reason and no-one should blame themselves :( It's actually possible that it works the other way around - those with a genetic/family predisposition for diabetes may gain weight regardless of their diet as their pancreas attempts to compensate for high blood sugar levels by releasing more and more insulin. More insulin can lead to more glucose not used for energy being stored as fat.

It's more than often luck of the draw, and in fact there is a significant percentage of people diagnosed with Type 2 who were fit, active and not overweight at diagnosis - it's a complex condition, and for too long people have stereotyped it as 'too many pies' :( You're here, seeking help, advice and support from those who have found good strategies for getting their diabetes under good control, so you are well on your way to joining them :)
Thank you. I am seeking strategies but I don’t seem to be learning fast on the game . One day I think oh that’s what spikes it the next it’s lower and I wish it would stay low. I continue with headaches . I don’t feel I got care at the health centre. I really don’t know what to do . Do you know if ibuprofen would spike ?

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you. I am seeking strategies but I don’t seem to be learning fast on the game . One day I think oh that’s what spikes it the next it’s lower and I wish it would stay low. I continue with headaches . I don’t feel I got care at the health centre. I really don’t know what to do . Do you know if ibuprofen would spike ?
I wouldn't expect ibuprofen itself to spike your levels, but the reason for taking them might - if you are in pain and your stress hormones increase then they will prompt your liver to release extra glucose which would raise your levels. Not always though, for some people stress lowers levels, which just goes to illustrate that this is a very individual condition and what works for one person may not for another and this is the really tricky part. You need to bear in mind that this is a gradual learning exercise, and things WILL improve for you as you gain more experience. This is also why healthcare professionals can be less than useless - they often have limited training and often tend to put everyone in the same box. 99.99% of your care will come from you - you only spend a very limited time in contact with an HCP. Have you read Test, Review, Adjust by Alan S? Using your meter you can find out what works for you and what doesn't. It can be a slow process, so needs a lot of patience, but once you've established a good basic food strategy it will stay with you :) If you find that something that works one day, doesn't another day, it may be some other factor involved, so persevere until you are absolutely sure. Short term elevated levels will not damage your health, so don't be downhearted if you see them, you will be surprised as the months go by how you have improved. I think this is an aspect not often stressed enough by HCPs, that there is no quick fix, no pill you can take, it requires dedication and support - if you don't get the support from your team, you will find it here, so don't be afraid to ask - no question is 'silly', only the ones you don't ask :)

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wouldn't expect ibuprofen itself to spike your levels, but the reason for taking them might - if you are in pain and your stress hormones increase then they will prompt your liver to release extra glucose which would raise your levels. Not always though, for some people stress lowers levels, which just goes to illustrate that this is a very individual condition and what works for one person may not for another and this is the really tricky part. You need to bear in mind that this is a gradual learning exercise, and things WILL improve for you as you gain more experience. This is also why healthcare professionals can be less than useless - they often have limited training and often tend to put everyone in the same box. 99.99% of your care will come from you - you only spend a very limited time in contact with an HCP. Have you read Test, Review, Adjust by Alan S? Using your meter you can find out what works for you and what doesn't. It can be a slow process, so needs a lot of patience, but once you've established a good basic food strategy it will stay with you :) If you find that something that works one day, doesn't another day, it may be some other factor involved, so persevere until you are absolutely sure. Short term elevated levels will not damage your health, so don't be downhearted if you see them, you will be surprised as the months go by how you have improved. I think this is an aspect not often stressed enough by HCPs, that there is no quick fix, no pill you can take, it requires dedication and support - if you don't get the support from your team, you will find it here, so don't be afraid to ask - no question is 'silly', only the ones you don't ask :)
Thank you I really do appreciate you all and for the time you spent to help me. This is worth every penny the support I get from this group. I am thankful for it. You are right I guess. It’s not going to stay the same and there is more to just eating food there is his much exercise and that can show up the following day. I guess at least I am not going hypo which is another difficult balance . It has come down from where it was I guess I live in fear that it will rise. I also think that’s good because I will not get complacent yet. Not take it for granted . I did get a good enough wake up. When zi shop I am reasonably tempted but that strong voice telling me how ill feel. I know I will try some cake or alcohol or a biscuit at sometime . Or a fish burger bun or something I know at some stage but at the moment I’ve been really sensible. It’s just breads that should have been reasonable are not. Sweet potato I think might have been the culprit last night 7.8 is on the wrong side of good. I’ll keep plodding. I am not in double figures as was first thing. . Still my wake up no more in the 20s so single figures and low tens is a vast improvement. Yes keep going. I’m not sure if it the same test but I think it’s a lady that I am using so will look into . One cannot get too much information with this . Thank you

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you I really do appreciate you all and for the time you spent to help me. This is worth every penny the support I get from this group. I am thankful for it. You are right I guess. It’s not going to stay the same and there is more to just eating food there is his much exercise and that can show up the following day. I guess at least I am not going hypo which is another difficult balance . It has come down from where it was I guess I live in fear that it will rise. I also think that’s good because I will not get complacent yet. Not take it for granted . I did get a good enough wake up. When zi shop I am reasonably tempted but that strong voice telling me how ill feel. I know I will try some cake or alcohol or a biscuit at sometime . Or a fish burger bun or something I know at some stage but at the moment I’ve been really sensible. It’s just breads that should have been reasonable are not. Sweet potato I think might have been the culprit last night 7.8 is on the wrong side of good. I’ll keep plodding. I am not in double figures as was first thing. . Still my wake up no more in the 20s so single figures and low tens is a vast improvement. Yes keep going. I’m not sure if it the same test but I think it’s a lady that I am using so will look into . One cannot get too much information with this . Thank you
Well, I think you have it exactly right here :) Not getting complacent is the main thing, but really after a period of time it will seem less onerous and won't play on your mind so much :) Many people, unfortunately, are given some medication and sent away after being told it will get gradually worse - this is NOT TRUE! It needs work, and there will be lapses - you are only human and you also have to enjoy your life as the 'new you' :) Actually, getting your levels under control, along with improvements in diet and exercise levels usually results in people feeling much better than they did prior to diagnosis :) What I found after a while was that, although I still craved certain things, when I gave in I found that I no longer actually enjoyed them - a good example was treating myself to hot chocolate fudge cake with mint ice cream in a café. I thought I would love it, but actually found it to be far too sweet for my now modified tastes! :eek: I still ate it, of course, because I'm a Yorkshireman and I'd paid good money for it :D

Don't be alarmed if you get a 7.6 after eating, that's fine - it's recommended that you try to stay below 8.5, but a short foray above this won't do harm and might help inform future decisions on food choices :)

I'd suggest browsing threads here to see what problems others are encountering and how they are tackling them - I learned an awful lot in the early days from others, of all Types, it's often surprising to some how much there is in common despite the often different treatment regimes :)

Finally, regarding your healthcare team - they may not seem very helpful, but it's likely that most of their Type 2 patients don't work hard at getting things on track. Partly their fault for lack of encouragement and support, of course, but hopefully you will be able to show them what can be achieved and change their minds :)

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I agree and hopefully will start feeling better soon. Other things as you say get in the way too. The main thing is we all work to improve this condition. I guess if they fish out meds dish out ops n things it’s their kind of work. I’m just hoping to sort myself out not to go there. Glad this group and people care enough to share . Thanks

Leadinglights

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I agree and hopefully will start feeling better soon. Other things as you say get in the way too. The main thing is we all work to improve this condition. I guess if they fish out meds dish out ops n things it’s their kind of work. I’m just hoping to sort myself out not to go there. Glad this group and people care enough to share . Thanks
We tend to be critical of GPs who just dish out the meds but my daughter says as a doctor you have some intuition about how seriously people will take on board the idea they need to change their life style and most particularly their diet and their knowledge is often so poor that they need all the help they can get. The people who visit here are probably some of those who are more motivated to make changes and there are many more people out there who are struggling on their own. From what we heard yesterday on Morning Live there have been a huge number of missed diagnoses during the last year.
So stick with it, stay focused and you will get there. If you like what you eat it will be easier to keep it up.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am sorry I just felt recently the practice nurse did not believe me. No excuse but I think I am grumpy and kicking off due to how I am feeling . The main reason to get this all under control . I agree eating what I like will make it easier. I’ve discovered new foods that I enjoy together. Thank you.