The challenge - My story + How does one choose the best approach to Type 2 Diabetes Remission?

DIET

Looking back at the last few days, the environment one lives in is really important. A few years ago, I was predominantly alone, cos other members - wife and kids were at school living away from home. And I would predominantly eat only once a day, sometime in the evening. And I never thought anything of it. Did not make an effort, to manage diet, it just happened.

At this time I have in laws spending a few days with us, and my wife and her sister are a cooking galore, the whole house smells of food, they are real foodies, they love to eat. They have just had dinner, and then my wife puts corn on the cob, to boil, and the smell of that, is wafting up to where I'm sitting now. Thankfully I am not tempted cos my belly is full, from dinner.

It does not do one any favours, when it could take herculean effort to remain disciplined, in an environment with the smell or the sight of food everywhere.

Been snacking on nuts for about three weeks, since diagnosed, cos at least that was something I knew would NOT raise my blood sugar, that much. Must stop - best approach - will no longer buy more than one packet every two weeks, otherwise I could gain a lot of weight from excessive consumption of peanuts. I do not normally binge on peanuts, but with the mindset that I could not eat any carbs, felt so imprisoned, peanuts became a bit of an escape. So important to clean up the environment. And avoid any food temptations lying around. Out of sight, out of mind.

After three weeks of almost no carbs like rice, potato or pasta, began to introduce some rice back in. Not because I like rice - I could not care for it, but noticed that without carbs, had a certain loss of energy, so re-introduced carbs in small quantities. Thinking is - since at least 50% of any meal is now vegetables, which come with fiber, this will attenuate any glucose spikes from the carbs.

The first few weeks of relatively significant calorie restriction (compared to what I ate before being diagnosed), has "shrunk" my stomach. I had about 75% of my previous dinner size - looking at the volume on the plate, and by the time I had finished dinner, felt I had eaten too much. Was really really satisfied. i.e I had over estimated how much food would fill me up. So seems like a good sign, that my satiety sensors are adjusting. Of course this may be conjecture, but maybe a period of initial severe calorie restriction, may help the sensors reset. I have no inclination to snack, binge, or have anything to do with food after that meal.

Hopefully, I can take this learning and do a better job tomorrow, to achieve satiety with even smaller portions, on the plate.

I fully agree with what @everydayupsanddowns said - the range of diet options is a good thing. Very confusing initially, making it very difficult to choose a path, but a range of options on how to go about losing weight is good. I believe you are entirely correct though - it's all about the weight loss. Any claim that one or other diet is the best or only diet option is false. You mention the Rice Diet - an all-carb diet that resulted in lower fasting blood glucose (BG) levels. It disproves the notion that a very low-carb diet is essential. It's absolutely not essential. I would caution against feasting on carbs though - bad idea - the Rice Diet is definitely not an optimal approach as your BG levels would be through the roof for months until you made significant progress on weight loss, but getting the weight loss done is paramount and extremes are unnecessary for that purpose.

These are the kinds of food swaps I've chosen:
- Cauliflower rice instead of rice. Comes in frozen single-portion bags from the big supermarkets (if you don't want to make it yourself). It's just shredded cauliflower but it soaks up the sauce in a curry or stir fry and so tastes like the sauce. Amazing for weight loss but also less than great for supressing hunger for very many hours because it's so low in calories. I did stick with it for months but have since opted to mix a little real rice with the cauliflower rice - reduced carb, affordable, and good for weight loss.
-Edamame pasta instead of real pasta. Made from green soya beans I believe. Tastes fine, quite nice even with some olive oil, low(ish) carb and high in protein, good for weight loss. Problem is that it's very expensive compared to ordinary pasta.
- A reduced carb bread product. Here in Ireland we have this one - Link. I'm not sure if there's a UK equivalent. Again, not cheap compared to standard bread, but better for blood glucose levels than wholegrain bread and also for weight loss as it's lower in calories.

These are the kinds of options I chose to lose weight and keep my weight in check. Also things like eating smaller fruit - a clementine orange or a fun-size apple such as might go into a child's lunchbox with breakfast. Best way I found to get some fruit in while keeping BG levels under control. I chose calorie counting initially to lose weight and later reduced my carb intake while maintaining the weight loss. The kinds of swaps listed above suited me well as they were quite close to the diet I was used to and so relatively easy to stick to in my case. We all have to find our own approach though, the approach that works best is the one we can sustain until the weight loss is done.

Very best of luck, and God Speed!

Edit - typos

Last edited:
@OK1 I'm afraid that peanuts aren't nuts but legumes, like beans and peas. Some people can extract more carbs than listed from legumes - I am one of them, and was puzzled to see my blood glucose going higher than expected.
Even without that problem, they are not that low in carbs so you are wise to be limiting your intake.

Dry roasted peanuts are one of my goto snacks, and whilst they're fairly low carb (7%), a good source of fibre and protein, and most of the fat is unsaturated (the 'good' fat) they are also highly calorific. 3 or 4 handfuls adds up to around 600 Kcals, which is almost a third the recommended RDA for an adult, so I limit myself to a couple of handfuls a day by measuring out 30g portions.

Peanuts have long been my go-to nibble too. And rarely cause any kind of wibble on my CGM trace. Reactions to food can be so individual!

One interesting aspect of this journey is learning. Never ends. This Youtube video, made me rethink how quickly I would like my weight to fall. Apparently more rapid weight loss, introduces the risk of greater muscle loss. Just something to think of.

One interesting aspect of this journey is learning. Never ends. This Youtube video, made me rethink how quickly I would like my weight to fall. Apparently more rapid weight loss, introduces the risk of greater muscle loss. Just something to think of.
Correct, in my experience. Can slow metabolism too. That's why, for example, this approach could be a better bet:
- What should we eat? https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2021/08/what-should-we-eat/

Reactions: OK1
@OK1 I'm afraid that peanuts aren't nuts but legumes, like beans and peas. Some people can extract more carbs than listed from legumes - I am one of them, and was puzzled to see my blood glucose going higher than expected.
Even without that problem, they are not that low in carbs so you are wise to be limiting your intake.
The impression I'm getting with respect to anything, from sleep to diet, to exercise is, moderation is best. One terrible thing about peanuts, typically I buy from one of the main stores - Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, etc. One aspect I do not appreciate is they are usually salted, which is part of what makes them even more delicious, and eat them more.

Was searching for alternative sources of peanuts, especially the kind which has the brown soft covering which has been peeled off, on most peanuts in the stores. Possibly get the peanuts which are still in the shell.

Definitely limiting intake of peanuts, to no more than a handful, on maybe every other day.

Resetting Satiety Sensors

What started this was yesterday I had two meals, with about 70% of my usual amount on the plate, yet each meal made me feel full, and I had been restricting calories for at least 3 prior weeks, with mostly one meal a day.

Not particularly for the purpose of weight loss alone, but simply to re-establish a balanced healthy relationship with food, I've had a few thoughts about resetting my satiety sensors. End goal, to relearn how to eat enough, without overeating, so that eating right is not a struggle, but something that comes naturally, with ease.

The foundation is - human senses are based on relative differences, not absolute. We cannot identify or sense absolutes, only differences.

A candle in a dark room, looks bright. Over time we learn the specific echoes in the rooms we live in, and can zone that out, and still hear in these rooms, cos what we are listening to are differences. We stop noticing certain smells, if we are exposed to them for long enough. We can tell differences between things, but absolutes are a challenge. For example a smoker would tend to increase how much they smoked, hypothetically cos what the body is sensing is a differential, and over time, that differential is no longer noticed, and more is needed to create a similar differential.

So the hypothesis is : our satiety mechanisms, of pressure and chemical sensors in the digestive tract, also operate based on a relative difference. If I put my foot into a shoe which places its own unique pressures on my foot, after a while I stop noticing these unique pressures, cos I get used to it, and shoe becomes more comfortable.

To reset my satiety sensors, I'll do a zero food intake day, about no more than once a week, or once every two weeks, for a month or two. To adjust the dial of my satiety sensors, so that after this zero food day, when I eat again, I am more sensitive - via both pressure and chemical sensors, to the presence of food, and become satisfied earlier, and therefore eat less, yet fell just as full.

An intermittent fast, say with a 6 hour feeding window, introduces a similar variation between the levels of pressure and chemicals sensed during the fed and the fasted states, but not as intensive a gap between these.

I really want to get to a point where I have maximum control of what I eat, because my body and brain know when to stop eating, and I get my satiety sensors reset.

Where does all this come from. I watched a documentary on TV several years ago, and my sister described someone she knows in person who is similar. Some people eat small amounts of food, and become satisfied with just a little. So they are slim, not out of any great effort, but their genes or environment or whatever makes them stop eating when they are full. I opine that while there may be other factors affecting weight gain, adjusting the point at which one is full, would be such a great achievement, that can be sustained long term.

My 1st zero food day - is today. I cannot recall when I ever did such a thing. Not eat the whole day. Its midday, and I estimate I have 9 or 10 more hours to go, before bedtime. Feeling good so far. I am not involved in any major physical activity today, but will take a walk for about an hour. Will be drinking water, evenly spaced throughout the day, and when when I get thirsty. It's only for one day, so not bothering to do any electrolyte adjustments with salt, or minerals.

I fully agree with what @everydayupsanddowns said - the range of diet options is a good thing. Very confusing initially, making it very difficult to choose a path, but a range of options on how to go about losing weight is good. I believe you are entirely correct though - it's all about the weight loss. Any claim that one or other diet is the best or only diet option is false. You mention the Rice Diet - an all-carb diet that resulted in lower fasting blood glucose (BG) levels. It disproves the notion that a very low-carb diet is essential. It's absolutely not essential. I would caution against feasting on carbs though - bad idea - the Rice Diet is definitely not an optimal approach as your BG levels would be through the roof for months until you made significant progress on weight loss, but getting the weight loss done is paramount and extremes are unnecessary for that purpose.

These are the kinds of food swaps I've chosen:
- Cauliflower rice instead of rice. Comes in frozen single-portion bags from the big supermarkets (if you don't want to make it yourself). It's just shredded cauliflower but it soaks up the sauce in a curry or stir fry and so tastes like the sauce. Amazing for weight loss but also less than great for supressing hunger for very many hours because it's so low in calories. I did stick with it for months but have since opted to mix a little real rice with the cauliflower rice - reduced carb, affordable, and good for weight loss.
-Edamame pasta instead of real pasta. Made from green soya beans I believe. Tastes fine, quite nice even with some olive oil, low(ish) carb and high in protein, good for weight loss. Problem is that it's very expensive compared to ordinary pasta.
- A reduced carb bread product. Here in Ireland we have this one - Link. I'm not sure if there's a UK equivalent. Again, not cheap compared to standard bread, but better for blood glucose levels than wholegrain bread and also for weight loss as it's lower in calories.

These are the kinds of options I chose to lose weight and keep my weight in check. Also things like eating smaller fruit - a clementine orange or a fun-size apple such as might go into a child's lunchbox with breakfast. Best way I found to get some fruit in while keeping BG levels under control. I chose calorie counting initially to lose weight and later reduced my carb intake while maintaining the weight loss. The kinds of swaps listed above suited me well as they were quite close to the diet I was used to and so relatively easy to stick to in my case. We all have to find our own approach though, the approach that works best is the one we can sustain until the weight loss is done.

Very best of luck, and God Speed!

Edit - typos

I'm watching this, which provides some justification that : Lower carb diets, lead to a higher metabolic rate, which improves weight loss, without having to cut back too much on calorie intake, cos we burn off more of what is consumed. That definitely has given me comfort, that low carb is the better of the diets for me., and this also is the better diet, for any concerns about blood sugar rises.

I do not have a blood glucose monitor, so until my next test in two months time, it's a bit difficult to tell how well the changes I am making are delivering the right results. Nevertheless the following combination of ideas gives me confidence, that one is going in the right direction.

1. The fundamental challenge of a diabetic, is being able to properly process the glucose that they are ingesting, to avoid high concentrations of "sugar" in the blood. So my response to that has been

1.1 Of course reducing the rate at which glucose is introduced into the blood, from any carbs eaten, by making vegetables which have fiber, a major component of every meal. Fiber binds to carbs, and slows down the flow of food through the digestive system, blunting any sugar spikes from carbs.

1.2 Getting my portion sizes under control, so I am now able to eat smaller portions yet feel just as full as I need to feel.

1.3 Vegetables (and fruits) have been a really important part of this. I like vegetables. I once had haemorrhoids for a few years, and a bad episode which took me to A&E, was the start of my journey with improving vegetable intake. The moment I started including some vegetables regularly in my diet, that was the end of haemorrhoids. By the grace of God, any bleeding of any kind from haemorrhoids stopped, the moment I started paying attention to vegetables, and that's been for about 9 or more years. So it did not take much effort for me to simply increase the portion size of vegetables on my plate from about 20 to 30% which I had done for years, to between 40 and 50% going forward, after my diabetes diagnosis.

1.4 In the past I was "fat" conscious, since I had a high carb, low fat diet, but I'm no longer afraid of having some fats. Some peanuts daily - small portion, occasional avocado, and healthy oils like olive oil in small quantities. Some occasional cheese, and for many years I only use full fat whole milk (nothing skimmed) in my teas.

1.5 Reduce the % of carbs like rice, potato, corn, or pasta on the plate to no more than 25%. And completely eliminated all bread from my diet. Only bread I have now is a small piece - the starter, if I eat in a restaurant OR as part of Holy Communion in church - which I consider are both negligible sources of carbs, cos the amount ingested is really small. I realise, with exception of corn and potato, I really have no love for pasta and rice, cos they have no taste of their own. Occasionally I'll include small quantities, of one or more of these carbs, merely to give the food interest, and also from my recent experience, cutting carbs too low, made me uncomfortable and a bit irritable, lethargic and low energy. Yes carbs can be a challenge for a diabetic, but I think like medicine, which is what all our food should be, it is all about the dose. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water. It is the excess of carbs that is bad for us, worse for the diabetic than the non diabetic. I have not had any bread of any sort since my diagnosis, and wish I had done this years ago. I think bread alone is responsible for 60% of the reason I became diabetic. Bread has been my staple for decades, I ate a lot of bread when I was young, it was the most convenient food, needed no prep. Just add margarine or butter. Now I know better. The upside of being diabetic, is the rest of my family are watching my lifestyle changes and especially my wife, who had parents and a sibling who were diabetic and two of these pretty much died via diabetes, is very supportive, and adopting almost all my own lifestyle changes. Hopefully the next generation will have learnt from me, and avoid my mistakes. So it's not all bad, the diagnosis does have silver linings.

1.6. Exercise/Movement, which I do daily, for at least 40 minutes, helps to use up some of the ingested or stored glucose, so one improves the cycle of storage and depletion.

1.7. Just changed something important in how I eat - no more eating with the TV or laptop. And in my case, no conversations while I am eating. I discovered that paying attention to the food with my eyes is important, and I can focus, eat slowly, take delight in what I eat, and because I am not rushing the food, chew it properly, and get a great sense of satiety, without eating too much.

1.8. Pay attention to protein in each meal. At least 20%. I am not too strict with these percentages, do not count calories, just do my best to estimate, based on what I see.

1.9. Reduce salt - or rather be more accountable for salt, cos my wife does some of the cooking and she now reduces salt in anything she cooks, and I can add this back, to taste and this way I can be far more accountable about how much salt I am getting. In the past my wife did not measure salt, she just estimated. Now she MUST use a teaspoon to measure how much salt she adds.

1.10 Get to bed early - 9.00 pm - started yesterday.

1.11 Last meal to end no later than 6 pm ideally, to align with the slowing down of metabolism at the end of the day. May have a cup of peppermint tea, with some whole milk, after this.

1.12 Reduce size of any meals in the afternoon, to align with the slowing down of metabolism at the end of the day.

1.13 Reordered how I eat so the fruits come in last, about an hour after the meal, so there is a "bed" of fibre from the vegetables, to slow down the absorption of the fruit.

1.14 Paying better attention to water intake. The main issue with glucose in the blood is concentration. Especially as one transitions to a lower salt intake, and lower carb intake, the holding on to water, which increases the amount of water in the blood from salt and carbs reduces, so it is essential to remain hydrated, to keep the glucose concentration low, especially after meals. I tend not to drink before or during meals, to allow the stomach acid to be concentrated and aid excellent digestion, also partly cos I feel pretty full after meals with a good portion of vegetables, and water immediately after the meal will make me feel to full. So water intake comes in about 40 minutes or more, after the meal is ended. And every hour or two, make sure I have a little bit of water or tea. Definitely avoid drinking too much water at a time. One remarkable change since I started improving lifestyle after my diagnosis, is feeling thirsty at any time, is not a common occurrence, pretty rare, and sometimes I really am not thirsty, but understand that it's important for my kidneys in particular, that I remain hydrated. So daily I get at least 1 and a half litres of water or water via peppermint tea. Furthermore cos I am having a fair chunk of vegetables, there is water in these vegetables, which comes in with my food.

1.15 Some effort to be in a daily intermittent fast - ideally the 18:6, which seems to work best for me on a regular basis. Breakfast starting about 11 am, and dinner ending about 5 or 6 pm.

1.16 An occasional more involved fast day - I found that a day with only fruits really works for me. 4 or 5 fruits, and some tea with milk, with some nuts, on my more intensive fast day. I think I can do this once a week. It helped to reset my satiety meters, and made me more appreciative of food. Also makes me more mindful, and present. I do not normally fast for any reason, cos I have been a foodie, for a while. So a "pause" from food, seemed to awaken something positive in me, and rather than just "starve" a few fruits on that day, provided both calorie restriction, without going "hangry". I can imagine when I am more accustomed to such lower calorie days, I may eventually graduate to a fast day with maybe only tea and milk, gradually reducing the number of fruits I have on such "fast days".

Overall my thoughts are, sure nothing wrong with making cold turkey changes, but also nothing wrong with having targets and achieving these gradually. The cutting out of bread was an immediate one, that I had no issues with. I am a bread addict, it had to go - the GI and Insulin Index of bread are off the charts, so easy to ingest huge amount of calories in a few slices of bread, and it comes with salt and sugar, and preservatives. It had to go, cold turkey. But many other changes have been slow and steady.

So happy that I have - after the recent "fruit fast day", begun to restore my appetite/satiety control, and eat smaller portions yet feel full. One major change has been, the lack of what I call the Lion King phenomena - wanting to fall asleep after every meal. Am I so relieved, that is something I absolutely hate, and I am glad, I have not felt like that today. Progress.

Resetting Satiety Sensors

What started this was yesterday I had two meals, with about 70% of my usual amount on the plate, yet each meal made me feel full, and I had been restricting calories for at least 3 prior weeks, with mostly one meal a day.

Not particularly for the purpose of weight loss alone, but simply to re-establish a balanced healthy relationship with food, I've had a few thoughts about resetting my satiety sensors. End goal, to relearn how to eat enough, without overeating, so that eating right is not a struggle, but something that comes naturally, with ease.

The foundation is - human senses are based on relative differences, not absolute. We cannot identify or sense absolutes, only differences.

A candle in a dark room, looks bright. Over time we learn the specific echoes in the rooms we live in, and can zone that out, and still hear in these rooms, cos what we are listening to are differences. We stop noticing certain smells, if we are exposed to them for long enough. We can tell differences between things, but absolutes are a challenge. For example a smoker would tend to increase how much they smoked, hypothetically cos what the body is sensing is a differential, and over time, that differential is no longer noticed, and more is needed to create a similar differential.

So the hypothesis is : our satiety mechanisms, of pressure and chemical sensors in the digestive tract, also operate based on a relative difference. If I put my foot into a shoe which places its own unique pressures on my foot, after a while I stop noticing these unique pressures, cos I get used to it, and shoe becomes more comfortable.

To reset my satiety sensors, I'll do a zero food intake day, about no more than once a week, or once every two weeks, for a month or two. To adjust the dial of my satiety sensors, so that after this zero food day, when I eat again, I am more sensitive - via both pressure and chemical sensors, to the presence of food, and become satisfied earlier, and therefore eat less, yet fell just as full.

An intermittent fast, say with a 6 hour feeding window, introduces a similar variation between the levels of pressure and chemicals sensed during the fed and the fasted states, but not as intensive a gap between these.

I really want to get to a point where I have maximum control of what I eat, because my body and brain know when to stop eating, and I get my satiety sensors reset.

Where does all this come from. I watched a documentary on TV several years ago, and my sister described someone she knows in person who is similar. Some people eat small amounts of food, and become satisfied with just a little. So they are slim, not out of any great effort, but their genes or environment or whatever makes them stop eating when they are full. I opine that while there may be other factors affecting weight gain, adjusting the point at which one is full, would be such a great achievement, that can be sustained long term.

My 1st zero food day - is today. I cannot recall when I ever did such a thing. Not eat the whole day. Its midday, and I estimate I have 9 or 10 more hours to go, before bedtime. Feeling good so far. I am not involved in any major physical activity today, but will take a walk for about an hour. Will be drinking water, evenly spaced throughout the day, and when when I get thirsty. It's only for one day, so not bothering to do any electrolyte adjustments with salt, or minerals.
Could not do the entire day without food. Resorted to a few fruits. One Kiwi, One Grapefruit, and two bananas and a fair amount of peanuts, + some peppermint tea with milk. But no "meals".

Some insights on Carbs. Best you watch to come to your own conclusions.

I don't believe there's any evidence of the Carbohydrate insulin model of obesity, and perhaps some evidence that actually disproves it. It's a model with a lot of weaknesses, and fails to take into account the role of insulin in metabolising proteins.

The impression I'm getting with respect to anything, from sleep to diet, to exercise is, moderation is best. One terrible thing about peanuts, typically I buy from one of the main stores - Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, etc. One aspect I do not appreciate is they are usually salted, which is part of what makes them even more delicious, and eat them more.

Was searching for alternative sources of peanuts, especially the kind which has the brown soft covering which has been peeled off, on most peanuts in the stores. Possibly get the peanuts which are still in the shell.

Definitely limiting intake of peanuts, to no more than a handful, on maybe every other day.
The Grape Tree have all sorts of nuts, seeds, etc. Quite a few shops around but do do mail order.

Reactions: OK1
Another interesting one.

Is it the sugar, carbs or vegetable oils, that's the cause?

Sugar - In my case, for several years - at least 10, my sugar use is negligible, I can't remember the last time I bought sugar.

Vegetable Oils - I've used only extra virgin olive oil, predominantly - like 95% of the time, or more for at least 5 recent years.

So in my case, there is no further change I can make to reduce any of the above.

Final frontier is carbs, but this video argues that carbs are not the issue.

In my case there is a loop hole - bread and confectionaries - the muffins, biscuits, scones, which may have some sugar, and carbs and some vegetable oil, in them. But I can't imagine this would be significant in my case, cos I do not eat that much of these - with the exception of bread, which I have now put an end to completely a month ago. And same with the confectionaries, only one violation in the last month.

We'll see what happens when I keep the carbs to no more than 25% of what's on my plate - as per my doctors advice. Yeah in my case, carbs have been as high as 70% of the plate, in the past. Grew up with carbs making up as much as 80% of what's on the plate, and did that for many many years.

Nevertheless all these videos, however true or not true, at least make you think about one's own lifestyle and see if any improvements are due. We never stop learning, and asking - Why?.

One important area I am also working on - is sleep. Over many recent years, my sleep has been bad - self inflicted. Too many hours on web based information sources. I love personal research on all manner of topics. The joy of discovery. Putting in place discipline. Must be in bed at 9.00 pm. Something I started yesterday.

Observed that today was the 1st time, in a long while when I was not tired after meals. Hard to pinpoint exactly what led to this improvement, as I have been making a few changes at the same time.

There is no lack of consensus about the need for adequate sleep. That definitely is one of my weak points, that needs sorting out. ASAP.

In memory of Michael Mosley, one of the most important people who lived about the same time as me, and had a profound impact on the public's awareness of health. So sad that he is no longer with us. He also put his T2D into remission, before unfortunate circumstances took him away from us.

Michael - RIP. With much love from me.

You can roast the raw nuts yourself and then the seed coat just rubs of if you roll them in your hands - once they've cooled down.

Back