TDD and basal bolus split

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....are all of your TDD units milli-units? 😉

.....are all of your TDD units milli-units? 😉

Yeah, tell me about it. Looking fwd to pumps w/finer delivery - could help with basal changes.

Yeah, tell me about it. Looking fwd to pumps w/finer delivery - could help with basal changes.

....I could do with a pump that has a bigger delivery.....25 units (my pump max) is often not enough for my bolus!

....I could do with a pump that has a bigger delivery.....25 units (my pump max) is often not enough for my bolus!

Hi Phil,
can you not change that in the set up? But 😱 at that bolus.

4.2 Programming a Standard Bolus
There are 2 ways to program a Standard Bolus:
Quick Bolus
Using a and s on your insulin pump, with bolus increments determined by the user
Using Standard Bolus menu
Using d and f to enter the menu and then a and s to program the amount
The bolus amount per delivery is limited to 50 units using U100 insulin.
After you program a Standard Bolus, there is a delay of 5 seconds before bolus delivery starts. This delay allows you to cancel the bolus by pressing the a or s key. The Warning W8: BOLUS CANCELLED is displayed. Press f twice to confirm and turn off the alert. See chapter 8 Warning W8: BOLUS CANCELLED.
Note You can not program a new Standard Bolus as long as one Standard Bolus, Quick Bolus or the immediate part of a Multiwave Bolus is running

Advanced user settings

Procedure for adjusting the prime amount
Press d to move to the THERAPY SETTINGS screen.
Press f to select.
Press d to move to the PRIME AMOUNT screen.
Press a or s to select a prime quantity between 0.0 and 50.0 units.
Press f to save and exit.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,
can you not change that in the set up? But 😱 at that bolus.

4.2 Programming a Standard Bolus
There are 2 ways to program a Standard Bolus:
Quick Bolus
Using a and s on your insulin pump, with bolus increments determined by the user
Using Standard Bolus menu
Using d and f to enter the menu and then a and s to program the amount
The bolus amount per delivery is limited to 50 units using U100 insulin.
After you program a Standard Bolus, there is a delay of 5 seconds before bolus delivery starts. This delay allows you to cancel the bolus by pressing the a or s key. The Warning W8: BOLUS CANCELLED is displayed. Press f twice to confirm and turn off the alert. See chapter 8 Warning W8: BOLUS CANCELLED.
Note You can not program a new Standard Bolus as long as one Standard Bolus, Quick Bolus or the immediate part of a Multiwave Bolus is running

Advanced user settings

Press f to select.

Hi Sue, no I don't think so, not a problem just mildly irritating bolusing 25 units when I need 32....just deliver 2 amounts. I need a lot of insulin my ratios can be as high as 3 units per 10g carb....so a carb fest meal is a lot of units! 😱

Hi Sue, no I don't think so, not a problem just mildly irritating bolusing 25 units when I need 32....just deliver 2 amounts. I need a lot of insulin my ratios can be as high as 3 units per 10g carb....so a carb fest meal is a lot of units! 😱

Yes you can go into advanced settings. They have to have high numbers due to insulin resistant type 2's using pumps.

Perhaps your high needs are the cause of the insulin leakage at times. Have you tried delivering that lot over a 15 min period?
I have also heard of people using that amount due to a restance to the insulin being used. So have you thought of or tried a different insulin to see what happens?

Yes you can go into advanced settings. They have to have high numbers due to insulin resistant type 2's using pumps.

Perhaps your high needs are the cause of the insulin leakage at times. Have you tried delivering that lot over a 15 min period?
I have also heard of people using that amount due to a restance to the insulin being used. So have you thought of or tried a different insulin to see what happens?

I have looked at my settings on my pump and can't see a way of changing the max delivery, I'll look at the handbook tonight but don't think I can change that setting. I don't suffer from insulin leakage, my sites are good also....I just need a lot of insulin (I have been put on metformin to try to help with my insulin resistance....hasn't seem to had any effect though) maybe a different type of insulin might help.

Hi Phil,
what I put above is from the manual, so it can be done you just need to find the right buttons 😛
If you think of it logically a child on that pump would need a very low max delivery so for safety reasons it must be able to be adjusted.

Hi Phil,
what I put above is from the manual, so it can be done you just need to find the right buttons 😛
If you think of it logically a child on that pump would need a very low max delivery so for safety reasons it must be able to be adjusted.

ok thanks Sue....I will check the manual/book tonight....TBH I haven't really read it properly even after pumping for 19 months! 😱

Or if you're feeling lazy Phil, just call the Roche helpline and ask them how to increase your max bolus setting - they should be able to talk you through it.

Or if you're feeling lazy Phil, just call the Roche helpline and ask them how to increase your max bolus setting - they should be able to talk you through it.

This is all he has to do................

Advanced user settings

Press f to select.

Men should not be let loose with gadgets 🙄😛:D

Advanced user settings

Press f to select.

Men should not be let loose with gadgets :rolleyes

Actually........wrong Sue....take all your clothes off! 😉 I have spoken to Roche and I cannot increase the max bolus delivery from 25 units unless I have the software (they are posting it to me), the only other option was to get a Roche rep to change it. Yes, you can change the priming amount and the increments but not the bonus delivery from the set limit. Happy that the little "problem" has been resolved, thanks for your advice.....I even managed to type this from my electrical gadget (IPad) 😉

Advanced user settings

Press f to select.

Men should not be let loose with gadgets :rolleyes

Actually........wrong Sue....take all your clothes off! 😉 I have spoken to Roche and I cannot increase the max bolus delivery from 25 units unless I have the software (they are posting it to me), the only other option was to get a Roche rep to change it. Yes, you can change the priming amount and the increments but not the bonus delivery from the set limit. Happy that the little "problem" has been resolved, thanks for your advice.....I even managed to type this from my electrical gadget (IPad) 😉

Hi Phil65,

I think you better lie down in a dark room now - you must be exhausted and disorientated with todays events - well done for sorting it out - you can fill your plate now!:D🙂Bev

I find that shocking to need software to change the pump settings 😱
As far as I know all other pumps you just go to advanced setting and change to what you want.
In my defence the bit I read did not mention anything at all about needing software to change any settings.
What the heck do people do who don't have computers?

Sue, I think those instructions are to change the amount you can prime with the pump, rather than bolus with it.

I too find it ridiculous you need software or a rep to adjust max bolus. As a grown up, I manage my own diabetes 24/7/365 - I expect full access to all my tools to be able to do that. Glad you'll get it sorted eventually though Phil.

Sue, I think those instructions are to change the amount you can prime with the pump, rather than bolus with it.

I too find it ridiculous you need software or a rep to adjust max bolus. As a grown up, I manage my own diabetes 24/7/365 - I expect full access to all my tools to be able to do that. Glad you'll get it sorted eventually though Phil.

......Yes, totally ridiculous! The manual says nothing about raising the maximum delivery bolus ....or that additional software is required! 😡

LOL - I didn't even know there was a max bolus limit!

I mean they can hardly justify it by saying it's to stop overdoses, otherwise they'd be having to put insulin in much smaller jars, wouldn't they?

I should imagine they leave it up to whoever teaches you to set your pump up in the first place and if they know you use a lot of insulin, which they ought to do, to change it to a more suitable amount at the outset?

I mean they can hardly justify it by saying it's to stop overdoses, otherwise they'd be having to put insulin in much smaller jars, wouldn't they?

I should imagine they leave it up to whoever teaches you to set your pump up in the first place and if they know you use a lot of insulin, which they ought to do, to change it to a more suitable amount at the outset?

Totally agree.....Roche's answer was '25 units' is maximum set amount! and the process of changing this is a safety measure!! particularly for children where 5 units might be the 'set' maximum

Medtronic must have more faith in the common sense of their pumpers - I've just checked and I can raise my max bolus setting to 75u without so much as a note from my mum.

Hi Trophywench,

I know a couple of children who havent locked thier pumps and actually bolused in their sleep! Luckily they didnt bolus many units - all random button pushing - but if the maximum bolus had been higher than their TDD then who knows what could have happened. It happened twice to one boy! I dont know how they did it as it seems hard to press the buttons in the right sequence and then press 'ACT' - but they did! Perhaps the maximum is set to try to protect youngsters from this sort of thing.🙂ev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back