tattoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
On his first posting (Cyprus) after joining the RAF, my 17 year old dad went out on the town with his friends and woke up with a Piper tattooed on one arm, over the word Scotland and a bleeding heart with a dagger on the other, over the word Mother. He never did remember who persuaded him to do it.

Bullseye tattoos has a lot of designs - http://www.bullseyetattoos.com/
They are good for finding something inspiring as a starting point for having a tattoo thats meaningful to you. Also Google (or any search engine 😉) is handy if you know what you want, just search images & off you go!

I had a bottle of coke when I had my last tattoo done. And it hurt like hell!! I am not a fan of the feeling but the end result :D Im off to have another few done this year. I am still deciding between a couple of artists though so will wait a month or 2. The internet is a great resource when your trying to find an artist, the good ones have galleries of work online.

I have 4 tattoos, a chinese symbol of peace on the right side of my lower back which i want to get extended, a symbol of freedom on inside on my right ankle, the egyptian eye of ra - meaning protection on my upper back (lower neck) and last but not least the diabetes uk hummingbird on my wrist.

All my tattoos mean something to me and i picked them out personally, i also waited between 6-12 months after deciding i wanted them and if i still wanted them after that time i knew i wouldnt regret them and i dont at all.

In fact the hummingbird one means alot to me because i see it everyday and it has helped me accept quite a few things and i needed that.

now im planning my next one as i love having them done in fact i nearly fell asleep when having the one on the bottom of my neck done lol good job the tattooist was a friend of mine and nobody else was in his shop :D

Hmm that's something I've never thought of - a medical alert bracelet or tag. Is it recommended then? I guess if I'm hit by a car it might be important. Also severely allergic to metronidazole so...anyhoo, that's another topic... 😱

I have 4 tattoos, a chinese symbol of peace on the right side of my lower back which i want to get extended, a symbol of freedom on inside on my right ankle, the egyptian eye of ra - meaning protection on my upper back (lower neck) and last but not least the diabetes uk hummingbird on my wrist.

All my tattoos mean something to me and i picked them out personally, i also waited between 6-12 months after deciding i wanted them and if i still wanted them after that time i knew i wouldnt regret them and i dont at all.

In fact the hummingbird one means alot to me because i see it everyday and it has helped me accept quite a few things and i needed that.

now im planning my next one as i love having them done in fact i nearly fell asleep when having the one on the bottom of my neck done lol good job the tattooist was a friend of mine and nobody else was in his shop :D

I have never thought of getting a tattoo associated with diabetes... hmm thats got me thinking but then again i wouldnt want a constant reminder of it.. but then on the other hand it makes a good medi tag.. lol decisions decisions...

and i never knew gettin a tattoo can make ur sugars go really high or really low...

well u learn something new everyday :D

Tatts

Took me 40 years to get my first.

Had more since but it's time for another I think :D

K

i quite like the idea of the hummingbird x but Im not into pain...had my nose pierced about 15 years ago and it blew up very nasty hubby made me take it out...so a tatoo does it hurt?

Depends - some people have a higher pain threshold than others, plus it depends on where you get it. I am a wuss, and my first two were like cats scratching (shoulderblade, chest) but my leg one (all black) hurt like hell.

Ive always wanted 3 littles stars on my ankle but im a big baby and will only ever dream of it :D

I do like the idea of having a tat and it having something to do with diabetes though,what about the symbol for this site the pair of lips that are the o in support.🙂

I have never thought of getting a tattoo associated with diabetes... hmm thats got me thinking but then again i wouldnt want a constant reminder of it.. but then on the other hand it makes a good medi tag.. lol decisions decisions...

and i never knew gettin a tattoo can make ur sugars go really high or really low...

well u learn something new everyday :D

Not alot of people know what the hummingbird tattoo i have represents and because its on my wrist they always ask me, espcially coz its pink, it catches there eye and i find myself telling them, i suppose i had it done more for me as an exceptance symbol, if i had done it on my leg i would have hid it but a pink bird on my wrist is not so hidable but i needed that to move forward with my control. Plus it has the added benefit of when im reaching for the chocolate bar and i see it on my wrist the words 'ooh think of your bloods' pop into my head and i dont have it so for me its something i needed. not sure a paramedic etc would know what it means i know the doctors i work with in my day job certainly didnt recognise it 🙄 but i still love it!! This topic has made me want my 5th one sooner 😛

I have seen a lot of medic alert type tattoos for various things not just diabetes. I think they are really cool & have it in the back of my mind as something to think about getting one day if I get worse (only diet controlled at the mo & can tell a hypo before it gets to the pass out stage) and think that it might be needed.

Hotrod Girl I love your tattoos, from what I can see in your avatar & profile anyway. Really pretty & the 50' style is awesome

I love the hummingbird idea. I am hopefully getting a lotus on my wrist (flower - not car lol) - it symbolises new starts (I didn't want a phoenix) and rebirth - that's pretty much what I've had since being diagnosed. I might get the hummingbird in the pic too...but dont know if that would be offensive to longer term diabetics with me being type 2.

Hmm that's something I've never thought of - a medical alert bracelet or tag. Is it recommended then? I guess if I'm hit by a car it might be important. Also severely allergic to metronidazole so...anyhoo, that's another topic... 😱

There can be enough problems with paramedics, police and medics not finding medic alerts, and there you have the bracelet, watch or pendant and the wallet card, however, if you have a tattoo where would it be and how would anyone know to look for it?

If for example you had it on your arm and in your accident your arm was injured it would mean someone has to move your injured arm to find your tattoo or various options.

Sooner or later someone looks for medical information around your neck or on your wrist, failing that in your wallet.

A common thing I understand with some armed forces is to have their blood group tattooed, however, I'm assuming this is in a common location for easing identification.

I love the hummingbird idea. I am hopefully getting a lotus on my wrist (flower - not car lol) - it symbolises new starts (I didn't want a phoenix) and rebirth - that's pretty much what I've had since being diagnosed. I might get the hummingbird in the pic too...but dont know if that would be offensive to longer term diabetics with me being type 2.

hun T2 is also a long term diabetes just different to T1...so if you like id go aheadx

A common thing I understand with some armed forces is to have their blood group tattooed, however, I'm assuming this is in a common location for easing identification.

That practice isn't as common place as it used to be I believe. They tend to scrawl it all over their body armour, helmets and clothing.

There can be enough problems with paramedics, police and medics not finding medic alerts, and there you have the bracelet, watch or pendant and the wallet card, however, if you have a tattoo where would it be and how would anyone know to look for it?

If for example you had it on your arm and in your accident your arm was injured it would mean someone has to move your injured arm to find your tattoo or various options.

Sooner or later someone looks for medical information around your neck or on your wrist, failing that in your wallet.

I didn't mean I'd get a medical alert tattoo. I want a tattoo to mark the huge change diabetes has brought to my life, to symbolise turning a new page in my life, not alert people to my health issues. Just wondered (on a sidenote) whether I should be wearing a bracelet/necklace saying I'm diabetic or whether it's only medicated diabetics who need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back