Sunny morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyna

Morning guys, 8.1 this morning but was expected so no surprise.
Nice to see blue skies again.
Both my sons return from France today after being there for a week of snowboarding

Why is it that no matter what I do or where I inject it either stings when I count to the 10 secs just after injecting or when I have just removed the pen/needle?
Sometimes it is so bad. I am careful not to pinch and know I'm not going into my muscle as I did that on my first few attempts and felt the pain.

For me pain on inserting the needle, stinging whilst injecting, stinging whilst counting to 10 afterwards and bruising are all pretty random when injecting. There are certain places when I don't feel the needle go in at all but obviously it isn't a good idea to inject into the same place all the time. Just above my navel is one such place. The more sensitive areas I actually find it helps a bit to pinch up. I think it just makes the surface more taut so that the needle goes through easier. It may also be a distraction thing in that I feel my fingers pinching either side which distracts from the needle going in. Sometimes I tough the needle to the skin to see if that spot is overly sensitive and if it is I move and touch somewhere else and sometimes I just jab it in and get on with it. The stinging is equally hit and miss. You get to accept the few seconds and level of pain as part of the process and just relax knowing that it will very soon subside. It would be extremely unlikey for you to go into muscle anywhere within the recommended sites as the needle length should not be long enough unless you are very slim indeed. They used to recommend that people did pinch up to inject. Now they seem to discourage pinching up. I don't really understand why the change of policy. I can see some benefit to it so I do sometimes pinch but not always.
I do think that some people are more sensitive than others to injecting and I think there are some brands of needles which are better than others. I am told that some insulins are more likely to sting than others. So far I have found that the 3 I have tried NovoRapid, Fiasp and Levemir all sting occasionally when I inject but not always and I have't yet figured out a common denominator for when it does sting.

Not sure any of this is much help to you. I guess I am saying it is a case of "grin and bear it" for me, having tried a few different approaches and still not come up with a solution. I doubt that is very helpful but at least it may make you feel like you aren't doing anything wrong.

I am sure others will have different experiences to share.

As regards it being a lovely day...... my bees were all out flying today, enjoying the sunshine, even the ones in the straw skep that I made. So that is all 10 colonies have made it this far. Fingers crossed we don't get hit by some really cold winter weather now. My apricot tree is just coming into blossom and they were working that today which was really good to see and put a smile on my face. My apricot tree is my one gardening success story. I planted it for my bees, because it produces early flowers for them but amazingly it not only produces very pretty blossoms but they also develop into fruit if we don't get really bad weather now and it produces big beautiful juicy apricots the size and colour of oranges! People who walk past and see it, ask if it is an orange tree which of course would never survive this far north, let alone produce fruit.

For me pain on inserting the needle, stinging whilst injecting, stinging whilst counting to 10 afterwards and bruising are all pretty random when injecting. There are certain places when I don't feel the needle go in at all but obviously it isn't a good idea to inject into the same place all the time. Just above my navel is one such place. The more sensitive areas I actually find it helps a bit to pinch up. I think it just makes the surface more taut so that the needle goes through easier. It may also be a distraction thing in that I feel my fingers pinching either side which distracts from the needle going in. Sometimes I tough the needle to the skin to see if that spot is overly sensitive and if it is I move and touch somewhere else and sometimes I just jab it in and get on with it. The stinging is equally hit and miss. You get to accept the few seconds and level of pain as part of the process and just relax knowing that it will very soon subside. It would be extremely unlikey for you to go into muscle anywhere within the recommended sites as the needle length should not be long enough unless you are very slim indeed. They used to recommend that people did pinch up to inject. Now they seem to discourage pinching up. I don't really understand why the change of policy. I can see some benefit to it so I do sometimes pinch but not always.
I do think that some people are more sensitive than others to injecting and I think there are some brands of needles which are better than others. I am told that some insulins are more likely to sting than others. So far I have found that the 3 I have tried NovoRapid, Fiasp and Levemir all sting occasionally when I inject but not always and I have't yet figured out a common denominator for when it does sting.

Not sure any of this is much help to you. I guess I am saying it is a case of "grin and bear it" for me, having tried a few different approaches and still not come up with a solution. I doubt that is very helpful but at least it may make you feel like you aren't doing anything wrong.

I am sure others will have different experiences to share.
Thank you for that, the last one I did was OK but it was a new pen. Don't know if that made a difference. Like you say I will it's trial and error.

Why is it that no matter what I do or where I inject it either stings when I count to the 10 secs just after injecting or when I have just removed the pen/needle?
Sometimes it is so bad. I am careful not to pinch and know I'm not going into my muscle as I did that on my first few attempts and felt the pain.

Can depend on needles used, always used BD needles which are best but gp surgery changed them probably due to cost, after that felt some discomfort when injecting. As it happened was due to change to pump so didnt matter so much, had I not would have insisted on swapping back to BD.

I was on BD originally but got swapped to Gluco Rx Carepoint. I haven't found much difference personally. Both were painful in some sites and less so in others. Sometimes I can rest the needle on my thigh and just let the weight of the pen send it through the skin with no sensation at all. Other days, just touching it to my skin is painful and sometimes I get half way in and decide it is too painful to continue and I try again half an inch further along. Sometimes I think maybe it is best just to jab it in and get it over with whether it hurts or not and other times I want to pussy foot around it and find the least sensitive spot to poke it in. I really just haven't got it figured out yet other than that there doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to it for me.

If the insulin is still cold from the fridge it can be more likely to sting. Perhaps that is part of my problem as I carry my insulin with me all the time so it can get quite cold when it is hung up in my back pack up at the stables for a couple of hours whilst I work and then come to use it

I think it is just going to be the case of it will stink sometimes and I will have to put up with it. My problem is since my op my skin is so sensitive so that doesn't help to start with and I also have a lot of nerve damage where my skin feels like its being scolded. It's a weird sensation. So everything together is hard mentally to get my head around but I'm sure I will get there.
Levels were 6.4 this morning which are really good for me.

6.4 is a great result. Sorry to hear that your skin is extra painful and sensitive. That does make things much harder. I wonder if an "iport" might be the solution. It is essentially a cannula I believe which you inject your insulin into. I think they last about 3 days before you need to insert a new one. Might be something to ask your health care professionals about or possibly purchase privately to try and see if it improves things.

Hi sorry, I have just had a lot going on with hospital appointments and scans.
Levels this morning 7.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back